Help in my upgrade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in my upgrade?

Hello everyone, i'm thinking about buying new hardware for my rig, but i'm kinda lost, especially with the Motherboard, I got around RS$800 (Brazilian money) or US$505 to invest. I don't need a high end rig, just a average pc to play my games, i already got a GPU(GeForce GTS 250) and a PSU (500W 80% Efficiency).

Here is a list of hardware i've found interesting :
    (The links will take you to the product corresponding pages on New Egg)
    (The prices below the links are from the Brazilian store i will buy the Hardware)

Motherboard:

Gigabyte AMD AM3 GA-M68MT-S2
    R$152,92

ASUS M4N68T-M V2 AM3
    R$161,42

BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G
    R$195,42

Biostar AMD A880G+ AM3
    R$246,42

ASUS M4A77T/USB3 AM3 AMD 770 USB 3.0 ATX AMD
    R$297,42

BIOSTAR TA890GXB HD AM3 AMD 890GX
    R$339,92

GIGABYTE GA-880GM-UD2H AM3 AMD 880G
    R$339,92

CPUs

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
    R$284,67

AMD Phenom II X6 1075T Thuban 3.0GHz
    R$373,92

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz
    R$399,42

HD

Samsung Sata2 1TB 7200RPM 32MB
    R$144,42

Seagate HD 1000Gb SATA 2 Sata2 7200RPM Rf
    R$161,42

Seagate Sata3 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Barracuda ST31000524AS
    R$169,92

Seagate 1500Gb SATA 2 7200RPM 32MB Cache Rf
    R$195,42

RAM

DDR3 4GB 1333Mhz Kingston
    R$135,92

Corsair DDR3 4GB (2x2GB) 1333Mhz XMS3 TW3X4G1333C9A
    R$169,92

Gold OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz
    R$169,92

PS: I accept suggestions on other Hardware too.
    Last edited by Marko|BR|; 06-21-2011, 10:58 PM.
    onemanwreckingcrew;: "Speed is the key!"

Re: Help in my upgrade?

I would suggest going to 8GB ram.

What games?
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Comment

I use AM3 as well, get a MOBO that has either the 870,880, or 890 chipset. These I think are the newest and best performing. As for CPU.....I still love my 945 black edition, however with games starting to use more cores it may be a good idea to go the 6 core route. I have this board and am EXTREMELY happy with it's versatility, use of higher speed memory, and OC features.
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157198

I recommend this memory, Rock solid, capable of OC, and lifetime warranty
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...l-_-20-231-314
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Are you trying to reuse the optical drive? Is it SATA or IDE?

Are you sure you need a hardrive that large? Are smaller capacities available for less?

I would go with the cheapest set of RAM available(the kingston in the group you listed)
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I'd go for the ASUS board and the Phenom II X4. There isn't any point in going with the X6 unless you work with 3D modeling software. Not sure how much space you currently use, but the Samsung 1 TB should be more than enough for games and other apps.

Would also help us if you answered some of the questions above like: is it for gaming? What parts are you reusing?
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by kin3 View Post
            I would suggest going to 8GB ram.

What games?
            Well the only games i'm realy expecting to be realeased are Dead Island, BF3 and PR ARMA 2, but i'm not a performance freak, don't think i will ever do a SLI or anything more "radical", i'm satisfied playing a game in medium settings.

Originally posted by Ven View Post
            I use AM3 as well, get a MOBO that has either the 870,880, or 890 chipset. These I think are the newest and best performing. As for

CPU.....I still love my 945 black edition, however with games starting to use more cores it may be a good idea to go the 6 core route. I have this board and am EXTREMELY happy with it's versatility, use of higher speed memory, and OC features.
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157198

I recommend this memory, Rock solid, capable of OC, and lifetime warranty
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...l-_-20-231-314
            870, 880, or 890, got it, thanks, the x4 945 got a good performance? you think the 6 core is needed? The Asrock looks great, but i can't find then here... Ram looks cool too.

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
            Are you trying to reuse the optical drive? Is it SATA or IDE?

Are you sure you need a hardrive that large? Are smaller capacities available for less?

I would go with the cheapest set of RAM available(the kingston in the group you listed)

Yes i will reuse the optical drive, and its IDE, i need a large drive because i download a lot of things, and i hate burning dvds, theres a Seagate 750GB HD 7200 RPM for R$135, but i realy want at least a 1 TB. Cheap ram don't cause problems like blue screens?

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            I'd go for the ASUS board and the Phenom II X4. There isn't any point in going with the X6 unless you work with 3D modeling software. Not sure how much space you currently use, but the Samsung 1 TB should be more than enough for games and other apps.
            Would also help us if you answered some of the questions above like: is it for gaming? What parts are you reusing?
            I like Asus too, i don't know Biostar and i'm not so sure about Gigabyte. I work with web design, so i'm usualy running Dreamweaver + Photoshop + Firefox + Chrome. I use a lot of space and need to burn dvd's all the time, it's a pain...

Yes, it's for gaming and working, but i guess gaming is the heavy thing, wonder what i will need to smoothly run BF3... I will reuse my GPU(GeForce GTS 250), my PSU my IDE Optical Drive, Monitor, Case, Mouse and Keyboard.
            Last edited by Marko|BR|; 06-22-2011, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko|BR| View Post

870, 880, or 890, got it, thanks, the x4 945 got a good performance? you think the 6 core is needed? The Asrock looks great, but i can't find then here... Ram looks cool too.
              I have a black edition with a mild OC to 3.2 ghz....and have yet to see a game push it past 40-45% of usage
              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                I have a black edition with a mild OC to 3.2 ghz....and have yet to see a game push it past 40-45% of usage
                Glad to hear that! By the way the 955 3.2Ghz costs R$284 but the 965 3,4Ghz is R$297 (Both Black Edition), only R$13 more...

Comment

Glad to hear that! By the way the 955 3.2Ghz costs R$284 but the 965 3,4Ghz is R$297 (Both Black Edition), only R$13 more...
                  SPEND THE $13 MORE AND GET THE 965....YOU NEVER HEAR ANYONE SAYING "DAMN i WISH MY CPU WAS SLOWER"

sry for caps

Comment

The 955 BE should be more than enough for many of the games out now and coming out. Even BC2 doesn't make full use of all four cores (I've read it fully uses 2 cores and most of the 3rd and only taps the 4th core once in a long while). So there's not much of any performance in games going from the 945 to a 1100T for example. You can look up a review of the 1100T if you want to look at the numbers yourself.

Originally posted by Ven
                    SPEND THE $13 MORE AND GET THE 965....YOU NEVER HEAR ANYONE SAYING "DAMN i WISH MY CPU WAS SLOWER"
                    He's good with the 955 BE already. Not much point in getting the 100 Mhz faster 965 BE, when he could easily OC his 955 BE to 3.7 Ghz with just a simple FSB bump.

Yes i will reuse the optical drive, and its IDE, i need a large drive because i download a lot of things, and i hate burning dvds, theres a Seagate 750GB HD 7200 RPM for R$135, but i realy want at least a 1 TB. Cheap ram don't cause problems like blue screens?
                    Hmm, it might just be better going with a new SATA optical drive. IDE ribbon cables block so much air that I quit using them many years ago when SATA drives were first introduced (it was HDDs first, then optical drives).

Unless the RAM is some really weird off brand no one has heard of, you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure you get them in matched pairs. That way, you eliminate most possibilities of mismatched timings/speed crashes.

I like Asus too, i don't know Biostar and i'm not so sure about Gigabyte. I work with web design, so i'm usualy running Dreamweaver + Photoshop + Firefox + Chrome. I use a lot of space and need to burn dvd's all the time, it's a pain...
                    In that case, you'll never make full use of your quad-core using those programs. You will however see heavy use of the first two or so cores, especially by Photoshop (assuming at least CS3 or later) and Chrome (since it is optimized somewhat for dual-core processors.

Yes, it's for gaming and working, but i guess gaming is the heavy thing, wonder what i will need to smoothly run BF3... I will reuse my GPU(GeForce GTS 250), my PSU my IDE Optical Drive, Monitor, Case, Mouse and Keyboard.
                    Well, you'd want to upgrade that GTS 250. EA has said in a few dev interviews (and at E3) that their demos of BF3 are running using a quad-core CPU and a GTX 580. Given that as a high end (and it is), any currrent mid-range to upper mid-range card will run BF3 smoothly. Your GTS 250 might not cut the mustard if you plan on running the game on medium settings on a higher res monitor (say HD and higher).

Of course, we won't know until they release minimum requirements for the game and won't know the exact poor performance of what your card might have in BF3 until someone reviews the game using your given hardware.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The 955 BE should be more than enough for many of the games out now and coming out. Even BC2 doesn't make full use of all four cores (I've read it fully uses 2 cores and most of the 3rd and only taps the 4th core once in a long while). So there's not much of any performance in games going from the 945 to a 1100T for example. You can look up a review of the 1100T if you want to look at the numbers yourself.
                      He's good with the 955 BE already. Not much point in getting the 100 MHz faster 965 BE, when he could easily OC his 955 BE to 3.7 GHz with just a simple FSB bump.
                      Ok, I will probably buy a 4 core CPU.

Hmm, it might just be better going with a new SATA optical drive. IDE ribbon cables block so much air that I quit using them many years ago when SATA drives were first introduced (it was HDDs first, then optical drives).
                      I actually had never heard of SATA optical drives till Namebot mentioned it Hah Thereís one for $67 in the store, if I got the spare money I will buy one.

Unless the RAM is some really weird off brand no one has heard of, you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure you get them in matched pairs. That way, you eliminate most possibilities of mismatched timings/speed crashes.
                      Nice, you think 8 GB is too much? Should I aim for 1600 MHz or 1333 MHz is enough? You know if thereís any difference between buying 4 X 2Gb or 2 X 4GB?

In that case, you'll never make full use of your quad-core using those programs. You will however see heavy use of the first two or so cores, especially by Photoshop (assuming at least CS3 or later) and Chrome (since it is optimized somewhat for dual-core processors.
                      Ok, thanks! I will probably stick with 4 core.

Well, you'd want to upgrade that GTS 250. EA has said in a few dev interviews (and at E3) that their demos of BF3 are running using a quad-core CPU and a GTX 580. Given that as a high end (and it is), any current mid-range to upper mid-range card will run BF3 smoothly. Your GTS 250 might not cut the mustard if you plan on running the game on medium settings on a higher res monitor (say HD and higher).

Of course, we won't know until they release minimum requirements for the game and won't know the exact poor performance of what your card might have in BF3 until someone reviews the game using your given hardware.
                      Well I hope it runs in the GTS 250, my monitor maximum resolution is 1280x1024, itís an old LCD screen, I will probably buy a new one by the end of the year.

Comment

8GB of RAM is not "too much" especially if you do a lot of work in dreamweaver and photoshop. 1333 MHz is fine, but if the prices are close I would spring for the 1600 MHz. Chances are you wouldn't notice the difference between the two speeds though. The best configuration for your RAM at 8GB would definitely be 2 x 4GB. Motherboard chipsets tend to prefer 2 memory stick dimms over 4. As an example, some motherboard chipsets have to run 4 dimms with looser (slower) timings than 2 dimms.

Again, if you do a lot of work in dreamweaver and photoshop, your next upgrade should be a larger monitor with a resolution of at least 1680x1050, but preferably even bigger than that. You'll find it does wonders for your work productivity.
                        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                          8GB of RAM is not "too much" especially if you do a lot of work in dreamweaver and photoshop. 1333 MHz is fine, but if the prices are close I would spring for the 1600 MHz. Chances are you wouldn't notice the difference between the two speeds though. The best configuration for your RAM at 8GB would definitely be 2 x 4GB. Motherboard chipsets tend to prefer 2 memory stick dimms over 4. As an example, some motherboard chipsets have to run 4 dimms with looser (slower) timings than 2 dimms.

Again, if you do a lot of work in dreamweaver and photoshop, your next upgrade should be a larger monitor with a resolution of at least 1680x1050, but preferably even bigger than that. You'll find it does wonders for your work productivity.
                          Nice, only problem is that the only RAM i can find in the store is 4GB 1333 MHz, 1600 is 2 GB... But if theres no diference i will stick with 2 x 4Gb 1333 MHz.

I want to buy a 21' monitor, dreamweaver is a pain in 1280x1024... By the way, shoud i try to install a 64 bit operating system?

Comment

Agreed with Voodoo, 8 GBs is probably the starting amount I'd go with on a workhorse rig like you'll be using it for.

Go with the 1333 RAM, not much point in hunting down the usually more expensive 1600 pairings, especially given you're not doing any serious overclocking.

Originally posted by Marko|BR|
                            By the way, shoud i try to install a 64 bit operating system?
                            Yes, you should. Otherwise, you'll never be able to use those 8 GBs of RAM.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hey i wanna thank everyone! You where very helpfull, i ended up buying the GIGABYTE GA-880GM, Phenom II X4 965 BE, Seagate 1TB and 2x 4GB Kingston. Thank you all!! :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X