Boot Time Problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Time Problem?

After a weekend of being stumped, I thought I'd turn it over to the experts.

My system crashed over the weekend, and after rebooting, the system posts but takes FOREVER to log in to XP.

Once XP is logged into (after about 1 minute or so), everything runs normal.

I reformatted, reinstalled, and have the same problem, which became pronounced after installing SP2.

I've turned off every non-essential service and start-up program, and the problem persists.

Anyone have an idea what could be causing this?

I'm guessing hardware (no new hardware added, so maybe MB?)....

Re: Boot Time Problem?

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
    After a weekend of being stumped, I thought I'd turn it over to the experts.

My system crashed over the weekend, and after rebooting, the system posts but takes FOREVER to log in to XP.

Once XP is logged into (after about 1 minute or so), everything runs normal.

I reformatted, reinstalled, and have the same problem, which became pronounced after installing SP2.

I've turned off every non-essential service and start-up program, and the problem persists.

Anyone have an idea what could be causing this?

I'm guessing hardware (no new hardware added, so maybe MB?)....
    Sounds like what happened to me when I had a faulty HDD. The bad one wasn't even the boot drive, but having it connected made XP take around 45 minutes to boot.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
      Sounds like what happened to me when I had a faulty HDD. The bad one wasn't even the boot drive, but having it connected made XP take around 45 minutes to boot.
      Hmm, I have a spare 80gb lying around, maybe I'll install on that and see if the problem presists. Thanks!

Comment

Ok, that sort of fixed the problem. The boot problem is not as pronounced, but now no USB objects

Printer (it doesn't have any ink, so no loss)
        Headset/mic (I know you are all thrilled)
        Ipod
        Camera

will not connect.

Comment

Hmm...now this is interesting....looks like an XP problem, not hardware. I'm posting this from kanotix (debian), and all the USB stuff is connected, and working.

Comment

Wow thats really odd, how could a peice of software act like that, almost as if it had a mind of its own...

"Mateo sniped Black_V!per last night in the Private Server, lets just scew around with him for a while..."
            -Mateos Windows Software

^^^ See!!! I told you!
            Oyee

Comment

All right, got it fixed. The culprit? My Creative SB24 Live soundcard. It was reloading the driver install every boot. That was messing up the UCB load-once I took the card out, I had all the UCB ports back, and my mic was working again.

Comment

creative = :(

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse