Laptop Suggestions for the Missus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Suggestions for the Missus

This forum has been invaluable for my gaming rig, however, after doing a search I couldn't find a post that offers a suggestions on a "so-so laptop for the wife". :)
    My wife is in the market for something that doesn't play fps...so I am at a total loss what to get. I figured the wealth of knowledge at TG would be a great place to start. The details so far: Laptop (not netbook), under 500-600 dollars CDN, able to play video, 12-14 in screen. I have been lurking through Newegg and laptop reviews and everyone seems to love and hate the same models of computers and the same companies at the SAME time. Help me Obi-wan(s)...you are just my best hope. Any assistance and guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
    fignut
    fignut

Re: Laptop Suggestions for the Missus

If she doesn't need anything more than HD video playback, the new ASUS Eee PC 12" netbooks (based on the AMD Zecate APUs - AMD E-350) would do nicely. They can do full screen HD streams online as well as play HD videos straight from the hard drive. If she has some older games, the netbook can also play those quite well. Lastly, battery life is around 5.5 hours with WiFi enabled and some light gaming and only weighs about 3.5 pounds. Price is under $450 USD.

Here's a link to it on Newegg.com: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230005

Unfortunately, NewEgg Canada does not carry this particular model or any AMD E-350 netbooks.

Ah, I found it on NCIX.com: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=60...nufacture=ASUS

Alternatively, this Hanspree 12.1" Budget Ultraportable Laptop ($300 USD) will also work for her. Basically any laptop with at least a dual-core CPU and GMA 4500MHD (aka GMA X4500HD) will run web stream HD videos and should be more than enough for her needs.

(A more technical explanation of why:

The X4500HD or GMA 4500MHD has a built-in hardware video decoder capable of decoding Blu-Ray quality videos. So basically from this graphics chipset forward on the Intel side let's you play HD streaming or otherwise videos. This includes: GMA 5700MHD (aka X5700HD or Intel HD graphics IF coupled with a last generation i5 or i7 CPU), HD2000, HD3000.

On the AMD side of things, most of the chipsets that come with laptops nowadays can already do HD videos and some even offer decent light gaming up to great heavy gaming (HD6650 for example is a great midrange mobile graphics chipset for gaming).

More-or-less, the same goes for nVidia, most of the chipsets included in laptops will run HD video and do some light gaming. Better ones will do general or heavy gaming (9300M -> GT330M -> GT540M -> GTX580M, etc).)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

thanks Acreo, greatly appreciate the feedback. Like I said...i am lost in this realm.
      fignut

Comment

Yep, I'd probably see if any of the computer stores near you carry one of these machines so your wife can actually see and feel it in person. That way, you know what she likes or doesn't like, because netbooks really aren't for everyone. Some people have idea and think they would love it, but then after messing with one in person grow to hate their small size.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

As much as it's unorthodox for me to say this...maybe a used Macbook could be the ticket. They're pretty bulletproof for the most part, and if something does go wrong, like iTunes not wanting to update, or a random crash, you can always say "Sorry, it's a mac and I don't know how to fix them. Besides I thought Macs never mess up?" Should get you out of all your spousal tech support duties.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Well Apple's support isn't what it used to be nowadays after several friends tried getting their macbooks replaced because of bad/burnt parts. Several Apple stores refused to replace until those parts failed completely or it caught fire again.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X