Sound Output Messed Up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Output Messed Up

So I've gotten this new HTPC (thank you AA) set up just about all the way, but I've run into a minor sound problem. Originally the computer wasn't registering a mic at all, but I upgraded to the newest Realtek and that did it.

I do still seem to be experiencing an issue where the computer seems to think that something is always plugged in to the audio jacks, and therefore will always override other outputs (like HDMI from my video card). Given that the computer has no speakers attached, this is rather annoying as it seems the only way to reset it is to set the hdmi as default and restart all the sound using applications.

I know on my laptop it takes headphones being plugged in and uses them for output, going back to whatever was the next option when they are unplugged. How do I replicate that?

So to explain the last picture, I believe, the top one is the HDMI to the monitor. I want it to play here if nothing else is plugged in. The one labeled Default is the front panel sound, I want it to play here whenever anything is plugged in there. And the "speakers Realtek high definition audio" is the rear panel, which I would accept playing either with, or instead of the HDMI if something were plugged in there (no HDMI on my receiver).

The mobo is a ASRock 880G Pro3, the front panel audio is plugged into the HD Audio on the motherboard. The case, which supplies the front panel is a nMEDIAPC 6000B.
    Last edited by Adiventure; 06-24-2011, 08:01 PM.

Re: Sound Output Messed Up

I'm a little confused as to what you want out of the machine. So let me see if I understand what you're saying...

1. You want to be able to have sound played through the speakers built into your TV via HDMI while you have a microphone plugged into the front jack?

2. You want to be able to switch between HDMI and onboard sound on-the-fly as you plug or unplug your headphones from the front jacks?

Well...

1. My understanding and experience is that it's either HDMI or your onboard sound chipset, not both. So if you want sound going through your HDMI output, then that's what you have. However, you can't have that microphone plugged in and expect to still output sound to HDMI. This is due to the HDCP (high definition copy protection) layer implemented.

As for the system still thinking there is something plugged, there is usually a several second delay in the jack sensing between when you plug/unplug a jack and when Windows recognizes there is something (or not) plugged in. Unfortunately, with a lot of these HTPC cases, the front panels are pretty hit-or-miss since most manufacturers decide this is the area they should skimp on (ugh, I know). Have you tried using the back panel connectors after a restart to see if this jack sensing issue is also affecting those connections?

2. Yeah...I would love to do this too, but unfortunately HDCP gets in the way here. A possible solution would be to get a cheapy PCI sound card or one of those USB sound cards (plugs into a USB port and usually has a mic and headphone jack on it) and see if Windows will ignore the HDCP layer and allow you to switch between using mic and headphones with the HDMI output on the graphics card (or onboard graphics if you're using that).

I'm guessing you are trying to do some some sort of karaoke setup with your HTPC? I ask since it seems to me that's what you're trying to do (unless it's something more).

I should have mentioned this myself when you were asking about building a HTPC. My mom actually wants to be able to using HDMI and headphones for those late-night TV watching sessions without disturbing my dad while he sleeps. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that it just wasn't possible, but perhaps a sound card could work around it. I could never test it, since the HTPC I'm using doesn't even have PCI slots much less space for a sound card, but I have been meaning to get a USB sound card to try if I could find a workaround. I just haven't had time to do the research or the money for one yet.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't terribly clear.

The rear ports work fine, if I plug in speakers/headphones they output normally, and if I unplug things they get marked as unplugged. The front ports always seem to think something is plugged in, no matter if anything actually is. Right now I have it set up as front/rear ports being independent of each other for convenience sake, however I can set them as the same output.

Theoretically since it is through the HD audio port I should have jack sensing in front (I believe ac 97 does not), but that feature seems broken. What I haven't been able to figure is whether there is a problem with the case front panel, with the mobo port, or with the software. Looking at the front panel itself, it appears to be wired for detection. Especially since it has HD and AC97 connectors, it would seem redundant if the HD were not actually providing extra functionality.

I don't believe it's HDCP since I haven't found the issue to be dependent connecting to a monitor via hdmi, I can use something else, or use the onboard and I still have the same problem.

I do plan on buying an internal card, but I don't see how that would fix a front panel issue.

The big reason I am encountering this issue now is just that I don't have speakers with me, so it's either headphones or HDMI. In about a week this will be in my room hooked up to my speakers about 90% of the time so there won't be as much of a problem. It will still be a bit anoying the other ten percent though, as if I want to just play through the front panel I will have to mess around in the audio config.

Comment

Ah, I see. In that case, it's most likely the front panel. 90% of the time it's a hit-or-miss when it comes to quality. In your case, probably a miss since jack sensing doesn't seem to be totally working (whereas the back panel works just fine).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X