Java issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java issue

OK, I'm having some strange problems which I THINK are java related.

I have a couple of programs for role playing games I've downloaded and am using
    RPTools
    Dundjinni

both are java based programs.

here is the problem I'm getting.
    It seems that the programs are often only partially drawn on the screen.
    example:
    rptool screenshot.jpg

If you look at this picture, you'll see the pop up window isn't all the way there.
    You'll also notice that the blue bar at the top of the program is missing, you can see the tabs of the google chrome browser behind it.

I'm running windows xp
    it is ajva 6 update 26

anyone have any ideas?
    "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
    " Ednos

sigpic

Re: Java issue

seems like this guy's problem:
    http://keithbalomben.wordpress.com/2...force-fx-5200/
    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
    " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Updated my video card driver (even though the newest update notes didn't mention a thing about my specific card.
      No help.

Maybe uninstall java and install an older version?
      " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

It looks like a overlay drawing issue. Have you tried this in a different browser, say Firefox 5? It could be just Chrome causing this issue.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It isn't a browser program - that's the point. You can just see the browser tabs BEHIND the program...

I'm thinking maybe try an OLDER video driver... hmmmm
          " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Oh, it's not a browser dependant app okay. Sorry I was confused there.

Hmm, maybe it's a DD (DirectDraw) issue. Try this:

Go to Control Panel
            > Java Plug-in
            > Click on the "Java" tab
            > Click on the "View" button
            > Enter "-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true" (without quotes) into the Java Runtime Parameters text field.
            > Click "OK", then "OK".

Which graphics card do you have Sky?

Has this program ever worked properly in the past? When did it start this issue?
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

ok... back - we were on anniversary trip, 5 days to colorado.

I have a nvidia 9500 GT
              it has never worked because I just started it.

I was trying something similar based on someone else's recommendation

in the batch file for the program, I changed

javaw -Xmx256M -Xss512K -jar maptool-*.jar run
              to
              java -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Xmx512M -Xss512K -jar maptool-*.jar run

None of this seems to be doing anything. Still have the problem. I'm thinking of trying an older version of Java next.
              " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

just did java 5 install
                jre-1_5_0_22-windows-i586-p

it's uh java 5, update 22
                the problem is gone. well, not appearing after about 30 seconds of clicking on about every menu option, trying to make it work.

So ... maybe that's it?

I might try some older versions of java 6. but I'd still like to get it working with the new versions of java... sigh
                " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

OK, completely (somewhat) separate issue.

Can you have, in windows xp, 2 user log ins, each with a different version of java?
                  " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skylark View Post
                    OK, completely (somewhat) separate issue.

Can you have, in windows xp, 2 user log ins, each with a different version of java?
                    If memory serves right, no you can't. All the JAVA versions install to the same directory. However, you could try installing a user made directory to see if it'll work for you. Off the top of my head, I want to say no because both JAVA versions would call the same library sets and thus the older version would be ignored in favor of the new one (because there is some limited version checking in JAVA).

Alternatively, you could set up a virtual machine and have a older version of java installed on it and then share those files with the VM. Basically it's like having a second PC, but that second PC sits inside your current one and shares some of that system's resources.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

All right,
                      version 5 takes care of the directdraw issue, but now the program won't work right because it needs version 6.
                      java 6 update 18 still has the directdraw issue.

So I do need to fix direct draw.

nvidia geforce 9500 GT
                      I tried the newest driver and it did nothing.
                      I backdated to an older driver and it did nothing...

This direct draw disable doesn't seem to be doing anything... unless I'm totally doing it wrong.

So I'm doing more research on that.
                      <punches a kitten>
                      This is very irritating... you can probably tell by the number of times I post myself to myself about this <punches the kitten again> dumb thing.
                      " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

See if you can find Java 6 update 8 or something. Or even perhaps a Update 1 or Update 2. Those should be close enough to Java 5 while fulfilling the Java 6 requirement of your programs.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

ok... this appears to be working so far. java 6, update 1...

haven't seen any non-drawn areas
                          AND...
                          dundjinni will save..

CROSS YOUR FINGERS
                          " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

*crosses (virtual) fingers*

Nice, hopefully Oracle's Java team will fix that DD issue when update 23/24 comes out. They usually break something with every update. It would be great if you filed a bug report over at the Oracle Java page Skylark, detailing your problems you've had with Java 6 Update 22 and the programs you use.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X