Google+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google+

Ladies and Gents, Google has entered the social networking foray. I haz invites to send. Should you desire one, please reply with your desired email address to have it sent to. Once you have it, if you are a smartphone user, I highly recommend acquiring the mobile app. I'll be doing a review on the setup here in a few days.

Re: Google+

I send my email to them? or post it here?

Comment

either one. if you're comfortable posting it here, do so. if not, PM me with it.

Comment

Put this on hold gents. Feel free to get me email addresses for invites, but I cant invite anyone right now. Apparently overwhelming demand almost crashed google's servers, so they suspended invitations for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
          Ladies and Gents, Google has entered the social networking foray. I haz invites to send. Should you desire one, please reply with your desired email address to have it sent to. Once you have it, if you are a smartphone user, I highly recommend acquiring the mobile app. I'll be doing a review on the setup here in a few days.
          They already did, 7 years ago, with Orkut. They tried to buy out Friendster, and when they couldn't, made their own version. Then they stubbed their toes, ran into a huge amount of data security and hacking problems, the US userbase fled, and it got taken over by the Brazillians and Portuguese. Then corporate ran away with it's tail between it's legs and said "Okay, Google Brazil can run it." It was a pretty dismal failure.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkut#Controversy
          I wouldn't trust a google social network now for any money.
          Last edited by Bisclaveret; 06-30-2011, 06:29 AM.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
          <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
          DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

PM sent!:)

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
              They already did, 7 years ago, with Orkut. They tried to buy out Friendster, and when they couldn't, made their own version. Then they stubbed their toes, ran into a huge amount of data security and hacking problems, the US userbase fled, and it got taken over by the Brazillians and Portuguese. Then corporate ran away with it's tail between it's legs and said "Okay, Google Brazil can run it." It was a pretty dismal failure.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkut#Controversy
              I wouldn't trust a google social network now for any money.
              This is true, but that was also seven years ago. Think about how much the landscape, and Google, has changed in those seven years. Do you think that seven years ago Google would have dreamed that it would be running a flagship mobile operating system that was capable of supplanting apple's market share in less than two years? Of course not, because the iphone didnt even exist yet. Bottom line, they were relatively ill-equipped and not the behemoth they are today.

I mean really, look at the fact that in less than 48 hours of *kinda* opening up google+, I have received no less than 8 updates for the mobile application on my phone. I think they're relatively serious about this one. Facebook is big marketshare, and snatching that away has been a big deal for google since facebook turned them down a few years back.

Anyway, PM's responded to, I've got a list that will have the "send" button pressed on it as soon as the google gods allow me to do so.

Comment

If you look carefully, you'll notice Orkut is still under "Social Networking" as a Google product, so I think it's still around. Obviously, I haven't clicked on it, so no real confirmation as to whether or not it still functions.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

PM also sent.

Comment

Update: I heard about a possible loophole that said that if I shared something from my G+ page with a circle of non-invited people, it would allow them to get invites. Tried it using those of you who request invites using Bubba and Jeepo as my guinea pigs. Didnt work. So feel free to delete that email. Once legitimate invites are back up, I'll make sure everyone gets one.

Comment

Started using it last night... definately a better interface than Facebook. I also trust Google a lot more than Facebook, ironically enough.

Only thing I'd like to see is linking of youtube accounts.
                      Skud

Comment

My youtube account IS linked:

Comment

Its working now thanks mate!

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                            My youtube account IS linked:
                            Right but that's not the same "linking" I'm referring to. It was late. I'm not even sure how to find it now :(
                            Skud

Comment

The setup was kinda odd, as it forced me to link my Picasa account to Google+, even though I don't remember reading anywhere on the Google+ page that I had to link the two accounts.

@Ferris,

Did Google+ auto link your YouTube account or did you accidently link it yourself when you were setting it up?
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X