X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulcan
    replied
    Re: Google+

This is going to grow to massive proportions FYI. If you don't own google stock, get it now. The ability for google to network via all of their products is mind blowing when you think about it. I'm going to assume facebook is already building up for this. Should be interesting.

FYI instant upload from my android when i take picture is EPIC awesomeness!

Leave a comment:

• mamahmed
    replied

Is the offer still on? I would like an inveite if its no trouble. I used to like vk , but its not an option now.
    email: [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• GinSoakedBoy
    replied

In 17 days Google+ gained 20 millions users, I think with that kind of growth Facebook should be, and is scared of. There have already been a couple of cases of Facebook apps that export your contacts being blocked by Facebook. Also, it's a Beta, it's not going to be perfect. But in my opinion it's already better than Facebook for features. But the main thing is, it's not Facebook 2.0, it's more a combination of Twitter, Facebook and Skype.

Facebook could be much better than Google+ and it's features but it's not, Mark Zuckerberg keeps making odd decisions. Lists were supposed to basically be like circles, but they aren't and Facebook privacy is a joke.

So far Google+ has allowed me to follow interesting people like Twitter, converse directly with them and others like a forum and then share that content to other interested people. I can also see this being very useful for networking with other film-makers.

Sorry about the ramble, if anyone would like an invite feel free to pm me also.

Leave a comment:

• gijoe
    replied

I havent signed up yet, but Ive got a few invites from friends. And ill probably sign up, im just incredibly lazy and in the time it took me to read all the comments here i probably could have done it! Annyways, Ive only briefly read over the features of G+ and I think its entirely possible to compete and maybe surpass the popularity of facebook. Like mentioned before, it does have its flaws in security... For example, a buddy of mine had a FB account and after breaking up with his incredibly obsessive girlfriend, mysteriously a new account identical to his appeared. It had the exact same pictures, information, likes (music, movies etc) and was posting obscene things on the walls of friends and all that nasty stuff.

This was over a year ago and we've reported this account SEVERAL times and attempted to contact facebook about getting this account deleted because it is spreading slander around on peoples walls. We have not received a single response and nothing has been done about this duplicate account. Its identity theft and that person (pretty sure its his ex girlfriend..that crazy biotch) is using that account to spread lies and slander. It really is terrible service and it happens ALL the time. I remember hearing on the news about some woman who had passed away from cancer whos facebook profile had been hacked and was being used to sell some kind of product. As well as a man in the states whos account was hacked and that person posted on his wall something to the extent of "I AM IN SERIOUS TROUBLE AND I NEED HELP IMMEDIATELY!" That guy said he got dozens of phone calls from friends making sure he was ok, its ridiculous.

Point being, facebook has it flaws and people know it. I think that if Google really presses their features on the market and shows users that it is safer, more efficient and with more features, facebook could easily be beaten. Another example, when I was younger, MSN was all the rage with people. EVERYBODY and their dog had a hotmail account and was using MSN messenger. Myspace rolled around and MSN lost quite a few people. Then facebook came out, and now out of the 200ish people on my MSN, not one person will be on if I log into my old account. The very same can and will happen to facebook eventually, whether it be Google or some other college kid that has a good idea. Nothing is impossible....

Leave a comment:

• Acreo Aeneas
    replied

Well they finally made inviting easy with a simple button logo at the bottom right of the right sidebar (big sigh).

Leave a comment:

• TheBigC
    replied

I am grooving it, it just has a long way to go with popularity..

Leave a comment:

• general_alvin
    replied

Google+ only needs to get the ball rolling and they could be more popular that FB by next year. I dont think users are loyal at all, it only takes a couple of minutes to switch to another socialnetwork, and I think itīs all about switching, Google+ donīt need to find 750 million NEW users. They only need 400 million users to switch.

Leave a comment:

• Acreo Aeneas
    replied

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
    On top of that, I'm a Facebook user. I've never paid money for a Facebook offering, never installed an app (except the one that automatically refuses all app invites), and have logged on maybe twice in the past month. "Users" is a rather meaningless metric, seeing as how Facebook never purges its database, and the number includes all the people who've created an account and never gone back to it. And, as I pointed out above, Mr. Zuckerberg appears to not be overly keen on discussing the number of *active* users.
    Cheb brings up a great point. The total users is more of a marketing ploy than any meaningful measurement. How many active users are there on FB? How of those actives are participants? Not many I'd say. That's where the real user base is, those that are not only active but participants. If Google can pull off more active participants (and generally they'd be better educated/knowledgeable), then great, you basically beat Facebook.

Besides, Facebook has it's own faults. For me, it's lack of privacy, content ownership rights, security, and lastly, it's one big casual gaming platform for me. I don't even do that much "socially" on there other than a few interest groups.

Leave a comment:

• Cheburash
    replied

You're right, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't actually whether Google+ grows bigger thank Facebook; I just want a viable alternative to Facebook, and this seems promising.
    Last edited by Cheburash; 07-07-2011, 01:00 PM. Reason: hotheads <3 the edit button

Leave a comment:

• Kwalc
    replied

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
    That's a great argument against anyone entering a market where another player exists. Ever. Except it happens time and time again, and the dominant player is frequently displaced by a better product.Your argument seems to come down to "Facebook is big, so no one should try and compete with it." .
    Now now, don't be putting words in my mouth. this is what I said: "And it would be hard if not impossible for google to catch up or even grow as fast as facebook did"

I no where said or implied that no one should enter a market where the competition is too big. As we all know facebook got into the business when myspace was king. I am however saying that as a google user and proud android carrier I am saying that google might get some revenue of off this, but I do not see that it will grow bigger and/or better than facebook anytime in the near future.

That's my opinion off course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion :)
    Last edited by Kwalc; 07-07-2011, 01:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cheburash
    replied

That's a great argument against anyone entering a market where another player exists. Ever. Except it happens time and time again, and the dominant player is frequently displaced by a better product.Your argument seems to come down to "Facebook is big, so no one should try and compete with it." I'm afraid I'm unconvinced.

On top of that, I'm a Facebook user. I've never paid money for a Facebook offering, never installed an app (except the one that automatically refuses all app invites), and have logged on maybe twice in the past month. "Users" is a rather meaningless metric, seeing as how Facebook never purges its database, and the number includes all the people who've created an account and never gone back to it. And, as I pointed out above, Mr. Zuckerberg appears to not be overly keen on discussing the number of *active* users.

Leave a comment:

• Kwalc
    replied

yes off course google as a whole has more users, but im talking about the social networking sites. and facebook clearly has more then 750 mil. And it would be hard if not impossible for google to catch up or even grow as fast as facebook did. they might try, they might even get revenue off it, but actually getting bigger than facebook is damn near impossible at this time.

Leave a comment:

• Cheburash
    replied

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
    Oh, this is rich.

"However, he said that the total number of active users was no longer a useful measure of the site's success."

Translation: We don't like that number, so we're redefining "success" to be a number that makes us look better.

Leave a comment:

• Cheburash
    replied

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
    Well I already video chat with my droid, so nothing new there. I just dont see the reason why google wants to compete with facebook. Theyre not gonna win. I mean fb has over 750 million users. Its much more than just a site to chat with friends now.
    Technically, Google has more users than that -- don't forget that "googling" is now synonymous with "searching online." Know many people who talk about "facebooking?"

Google's biggest challenge is time per visit: It's understandably short for google.com itself. Affiliated services (YouTube, anyone?) are a different story, but the money -- or at least growth in revenue -- seems to be in social networks for the moment, and Google wants in on the deal.
    But here's the thing that Google does and Facebook can't: integration. Plenty of people (not 750 million, but I suspect a rather large number) already use Google's offerings beyond search and YouTube (the latter being a special case altogether). Google+ will more than likely move toward greater integration of Google offerings, making it that much easier for people to remain within the same context while doing any number of different tasks. My hope is that Google+ will be Google Wave, only done right.

(Yes, I'm one of the people who actively used Wave as a collaborative workspace for business purposes. It didn't live up to my expectations, or even its own promises.)

Is integration alone enough for Google to get ahead of Facebook? Probably not. But until now, there hasn't been another big player in the Western social networking arena. People got annoyed with Facebook, and... nothing happened. There wasn't a viable alternative. Now that one is emerging, Facebook may well find that its privacy-shafting antics are actually driving users away, rather than just aggravating a captive audience.

Leave a comment:

• Kwalc
    replied

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
    Why poor Google? I'd say poor Facebook. Google beat them to the punch, and not only that, but Google's video chat in G+ allows you to vidchat with 10 people at once, whereas you only get one on one with facebook. Oh yeah, and Google has already said that they're integrating the video capability with android in the next 60 days, so you'll be able to video chat to anyone on Google+ from any android phone that has a front-facing camera over 3G. I'd call that a much bigger win than facebook pairing with skype.
    Well I already video chat with my droid, so nothing new there. I just dont see the reason why google wants to compete with facebook. Theyre not gonna win. I mean fb has over 750 million users. Its much more than just a site to chat with friends now.

Google might have beaten them to the punch but fb has 750 million users, so if fb comes up with video chat for 750 mil users it wont rly matter if google came up with it first.

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X