Monitor Response Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor Response Time

I see 2ms and 5ms advertised most often. Is one better over the other for gaming? Does it matter with cable modem connection?
    Thanks

Re: Monitor Response Time

When it comes down to it, those are GTG (Gray to Gray) estimations or rather overestimations. When it comes down to it, the black to black (BTB) response time is more ideal, but gray is pretty much accepted as a middle-of-the-road and leaves a nice low single digit number marketing teams can be giddy over.

Anyways, the truth is, those numbers mean little of anything since most of the time they are off the mark. As in they, use lower numbers when in actuality, it's a bit higher (say a 2 ms is actually 5 ms response GTG). Overall, the lower the GTG response times, the better it is supposed to be for fast moving action in games and other media.

With that said, personally, I've never noticed any issues between a 2ms and 5ms labled LCD monitor. If the price doesn't vary much, go for the lower ms one. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter much unless you're buying a nicer panel display (PVA, IPS, etc).

Your internet connection doesn't enter into the equation here as it's all on the hardware side locally.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks, AA. Very helpful advice.

Comment

I did a pile of digging into this when I bought my 19" LCD, six years ago. Back then, you were looking at a far greater rate -- the more reasonably-priced displays were offering 16ms latencies. (here's an article from that era, which mentions that "performance varied greatly," but the actual reviews have fallen prey to bit rot)

The conversations about LCD latency rates have essentially stopped around early 2006, it seems. I can find nothing that's on-topic and current. Whether this is because the geek hive-mind's attention has shifted, or because differences have dropped below detectable levels is an open question. (though, except in cases of truly gross misrepresentation by the manufacturer, I'm siding with the latter)

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
        --BlackMirror
        <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
        Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
        --Blackraven93

Comment

Yeah, pretty much, latency is no longer a concern when it comes to displays. All the monitors are about the same nowadays unless you're looking at a high quality panel. In which some of those displays could have latency in the upper teens to lower 20s. Those obviously aren't meant for gaming, but more production work where color accuracy is more important than latency times.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
            Whether this is because the geek hive-mind's attention has shifted, or because differences have dropped below detectable levels is an open question.
            It's more or less dropped off from being a concern except in the most dramatic cases of the monitor being cheap crap (or depending on the type of panel being purchased, extremely high quality and specialized). Back in say, 2003, if you didn't buy the right kind of LCD monitor then tried to game on it...you might have run into some of the most atrocious ghosting. Nowadays, I think you'd have to hunt for a "normal" LCD monitor that wouldn't be capable of gaming.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X