Microphone question(s)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microphone question(s)

To set this up, my Steelseries 5Hv2 headset broke about a month ago after close to 2 years of solid usage. In the meantime I've been using a $25 Logitech behind-the-head style headset, which I quite enjoy. But alas, I miss the audio clarity of a full size set of cans and I'm ready to get a new headset.

I've pretty much decided I'm going to go for a Audio Technica AD-700 (open) set of headphones. Links follow.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-014-_-Product
    http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-A...5060465&sr=1-1

I've been doing my homework and reading reviews on headsets from Steelseries, Razer, Roccat, Mionix, Ozone, Sennheiser, Tritton, and so on but I've just seen consistently high marks for these Audio Technica's across the board. Pretty much set on this. Here's the hitch. It doesn't have a microphone built in. This isn't a deal breaker, it just means I need to buy a separate mic. Most reviews and setups for this headset recommend one of these Zalman clip on mics.

So this is where I need help. I have almost no experience with stand alone mics. If any of you could give me some advice on what to look for specs wise on a mic, and/or links to any mics you've used in the past I'd really appreciate it. Thanks guys. :)

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Re: Microphone question(s)

Those headphones are supposed to have great imaging for gaming. On another forum I browse, the AD-700 is considered the best headphones for gaming. www.head-fi.org

I decided to go with Fostex T50RP's because I listen to a lot of music with my headphones, as well games, and I love them. Just another set to think about in the same price range. For BF2:PR I have to turn down the bass as it is too much over long games. Once I got the EQ set right, it sounds really good and isn't tiring during long rounds. I love these headphones for music. :icon20:

I went with this microphone : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Computer.html
    People have said it sounds great and is from a real audio company for cheaper than the zalman. They make a clip-on version too. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Computer.html

I found that people tended to recommend the Zalman mic because it is cheap and easy to find but heard it was mediocre. I have no personal experience with it myself.
    Viking

Comment

A microphone is a microphone as far as talking over VoIP and such goes. Most computer mics are pretty much the same fare. It's not like you need a whole range of pickup since you're not singing and recording yourself (or any other studio work). All it has to do is pick up your talking/speaking voice (and maybe a scream or two).

I've used a Logitech analog mic for over 5 years and like the ATH mic above, is omnidirectional meaning it'll pick up most background noise. Typically the same goes for most headset mics unless you have a fancier one with noise cancellation feature. I tend to dislike the desk mics since they're harder to place and won't follow the movement of my head.

You obviously want the mic fairly close to your mouth so it picks up your voice well. Personally I've stuck to the mic on my headset for the last couple years, because the standalone mic would often sit too far away from my mouth. Thus if there was a party in the house, it would pick up the party noise more than my voice. Thus forcing me to hover over the mic or having it poking into my chin in front of my keyboard.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Good stuff. I'd seen that ATR over on Newegg but the reviews are a little mixed good and bad so wasn't sure of the overall quality. Will certainly look into it more now. Also, just found this tonight, there's various mods that others have done to these AD-700s to attach a boom mic to it. The simplest of them being this one. In short its just attaching a mic to the side of the headset with some extra-strength double sided tape. If I find that a desk mic or a clip on mic just isn't cutting it I'll probably try this out.

Out of curiosity DaViking, since you've used it does that first ATR you linked detach from the desk stand at all? If it has a monitor mount, or a smaller mount with a flat surface I'd then be able to do the tape mod if I need to, but it all depends on whether it detaches from the bulkier desk mount.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Yeah, it comes off the stand and should come with a little mount. I am not sure where I put the box but from that link it says monitor mount.
          Viking

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X