temp rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temp rig

K, disk boot failure just hit me. I was planning on building a new rig come sep-oct but now I need it sooner so I can keep workin.
    I was running a dino, KN8-sli 939 , amd 4700 2.2ghz, and 2 nividia 4600's, with 2 gig ram.

I need your guys thoughts on the cheapest mb cpu combo to get me buy, it would be nice to have a board that I could continue to upgrade come oct. So cpu power isn't my biggest concern as long as the board will take a better cpu later. Unless there is a super cheap combo to get me buy. 200-300 is the price range I have at the moment. I have serched newegg, and alot has changed since I built my last one so I am a little lost. Thank you for your help:)

Re: temp rig

thoughts on this,

AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition 3.3GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop ... BIOSTAR A870U3 ATX AMD Motherboard

Comment

If you're just trying to get by you could try simply replacing your hard drive and continuing on with the same PC. Disk boot failure likely means your hard drive died but everything else is fine.
      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I just got a 1T hd and I can hear and feel it working. It is possable still, I will be testing a dif hd later tonight.

Comment

If you're going to be building a new machine, definitely wait until at least late October. AMD Bulldozer chips are on the brink of hitting retail and from the leaked early benchmarks earlier this week, it might be a better performer than the i7 Sandy Bridge chips at the same price.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

well, other hd works but it is IDE , mine was sata, I tried 1-4 connections, none worked. So sata connection, or hd ? IDE works, so need another pc to test lol. I just need a new rig. good news for me though I think. Thanks for the info.

I thought sandy brigde was new lol, thats was I was holdin out for I THOUGHT?

Comment

Just to be clear, your original hard drive was a SATA drive, and that's the one that throws the "Disk Boot Failure" errors. You got a different hard drive, IDE, plugged it in and it worked? So now you're just questioning whether it was your original hard drive that was broken or the SATA ports on your motherboard? If that's all that you have to go on, then I would bet it was just your original hard drive that died since SATA ports don't tend to go bad.

Comment

hope its just the hd , gonna pick up a new one today and find out.

Comment

well the new sata hd gave me a disk boot failure :( I took it back to best buy. So guess I am gonna need a new mb, cpu. Weird that everything else seems to work but the sata connections.

Comment

Since none of the 4 ports seem to work, I'd probably guess the SATA controller chip is dead. With those eariler boards that featured SATA ports, they often had two controller chips: one was for SATA and the other for IDE.

If you really want to use a SATA drive, you can still find a SATA PCI add-on card. It plugs into a common PCI slot on your mobo and typically offers 2-4 SATA II ports for connecting hard drives and optical drives. Typically, these cards cost anywhere from $8-$50.

Originally posted by Shane
                    I thought sandy brigde was new lol, thats was I was holdin out for I THOUGHT?
                    Sandy Bridge is Intel's latest i7 CPUs, so yes, it is relatively new. However, you were/are thinking about a Phenom II chip and board replacement for your current rig. That's AMD's, so why not wait for AMD's new Bulldozer chips to come out first?

That way you'll have a good series of benches to see how well they perform and stack up to Intel's offerings as well as having the option to still buy the last generation Phenom II chips (at a lower prices).
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks for the info, no one in town had a pci sata card, and online reveiws were not to good. So I found an older IDE hd to get by. Everything was good, spent an hour online activating windows cause it was an upgrade version. Installed all drivers and updates, then MSE and after the restart it went to disc boot failure again. Tried the other ide hd I had and same thing. Now the board wont recognize my gpu ethier. So board is dieing bit by bit. So I am looking for a new cheap board that will get me buy for a couple months. Thank you again for the help.

Comment

Okay, doesn't seem like you're going with AMD since you're intent on building a new spiffy Intel rig in the near future.

Here's my recommendations as a "small" upgrade for your current rig:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 (3.0 GHz dual-core)
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103903
                        Price: $60

Motherboard: ASRock 760GM-GSM (AM3 socket, DDR3 slots)
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157215
                        Price: $48

RAM: G.Skill NS 4 GB DDR3 1333 (2 x 2 GB matched pair)
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231396
                        Price: $32

Graphics Card: Palit GeForce GTS250 (PCI-E 2.0, 1 GB VRAM)
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814261062
                        Price: $80 after $20 MIR

Subtotal: $220
                        After Shipping: ~$245

It comes under you $300 budget and should hold you over for a few months until you build a new rig.

If you had closer to $400, I would have recommended a Phenom II X3 CPU + aftermarket cooler and a HD6850 graphics card. That would have given you a much beefier gaming rig that you could pass on to another gamer or use as a backup/LAN rig.
                        Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 07-16-2011, 05:01 PM.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If he had $400 budget he would have enough for a Sandy Bridge CPU + motherboard + RAM.

Comment

But not enough for a video card. That 4600 isn't good enough for most games nowadays. Since he's gaming with it, he obviously needs something that's powerful to let him game. The GTS250 is still a nice lower-end midrange card that's capable of playing most of today's titles without breaking his piggy bank.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Acreo's suggestion looks pretty good but if you're willing to go $2.00 above your budget, I'd grab a Socket AM3+ board like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128490

That way if Bulldozer comes out and it does perform as well as (or better than) Sandy Bridge, you'll already have a motherboard that supports it.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X