FPS help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPS help

My system is rather old. I will have more details on all the specs saturday, but I thought since i have about half an hr before bed I would get something started.

i play BC2. I have tweeked and lowered and forced all settings to as low as possible and I barely get 23 FPS, sometimes a rare jump to 40 fps but very rare. I still drop to 14-6 fps in CQ's. I have EVga precision timeing tool installed and turned on the % usuage of my video card. I avg 10-20% usage. My video card is a EVGA 9800 GT Superclocked edition 512mb ram card. I have 8 Gig (2Gx4) 1066Mhz ram. A SATA 2 1TB HD. My Mobo is a ECS Black Edition board (more specifics saturday) and my CPU is a AMD Athlon X2 6400+ (3.2 Ghz?) Dual Core OC'd 500Mhz or something like that. 750w SIGMA Shark power supply. Also.... my rig still runs XP.... i know old but hey it was cheap at the time. Thinking about getting a copy of windows 7 but, how much of a pain is it going to be to then reinstall it on the new rig at a later date?

Now what I have talked with others is that there 8800 GT cards were still getting 40 fps or so, so my card so easily get that or more. It's not obviously. It has been suggested that I could upgrade the CPU and probably stretch my rig out for another year or so. Thing is I have been brain dead looking at CPUs. I think my mobo is a socket AM2 or something not sure if it supports AM3. Now would it be beneficial tojust upgrade the CPU is possible or should I just build a new rig? I really want the new shiny things but if I could upgrade the CPU to a decent quad core, maybe OC it a bit with a decent watercooler heat sink, I would make the Fiance really happy that I could do that for around 200-300$ vs my overall budget of 1600.00 which she wants me to wait to build a new rig until next spring and use what I have saved up atm for a new TV stand and couch.

Anyways, More specifics on Mobo type and suggestions on watercooler heat sink's, CPU's or just completely upgrade are welcome.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Re: FPS help

The major bottleneck on BC2 is the processor, so yes, that's what you want to upgrade. However, I don't use AMD processors, so you'll have to wait on someone else for help with that.

As for Windows 7.... If you pick up an OEM copy, it might take a phone call to Microsoft to get the key unlocked for another registration. I've never been challenged on the point and never heard of anyone challenged for it either, so that's not really a concern. If you pick up a retail box, you wouldn't have to make a phone call. In other words....make the upgrade. It's worth it.

Comment

If you could get the model number for your motherboard it would help in determining exactly what processors are compatible with it.
      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Well even if he could upgrade, it would be a very limited upgrade at best. The Athlon X2s were Socket 754/939/AM2 parts (for desktop anyways) and support for 939 stopped years ago. In fact, it's pretty hard to find a 939 or a AM2 chip nowadays. If you do happen to have a AM2 board, your options aren't as limited as 939, but ECS might not have a BIOS update to allow you to use the current generation of chips. So you're probably looking at a new board and a new CPU if that's the case.

A look at ECS's site, I don't see a Black Edition AM2 board, so you might have a Socket 939 board. We can confirm or deny once you post the exact model number.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The model number is usually printed on the motherboard somewhere if you can't find the box/manual. Software can tell you as well if need be.
          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I don't recall if it's the same for XP, but my motherboard model comes up on a run->dxdiag, so depending on whether or not that carries back from 7...

Comment

Acreo, let's say his motherboard is an AM2 socket. What's the best processor he could even buy for an AM2 socket?

Personally, I think Belander should just get a Core i5 2500 or something similar + a P67 motherboard. You can get the processor for ~$200 and the motherboard for just over $100. You'll need DDR3 memory which you can find a decent 8GB kit for ~$60. So you'd be looking at ~$360 for a significant platform upgrade that would be way better than spending $200 on a really old AM2 processor.

Comment

Pretty much all the AM3 CPUs also have a DDR2 memory controller allowing them to run on AM2+ boards. Possibly at reduced performance due to low speed memory throughput, I'm sure there are some benchmarks about it somewhere.
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

My Mobo is a ECS Elitegroup Black Series A780GM-A.

Says it supports AMD Phenom Quad Core Processors.
                  Chipset: AMD 780G&SB700
                  Memory: DDR2 1066
                  Socket: AM2+ for AMD Phenom/Athlon FX/Athlon/Sempron Processors

sigpic

Comment

cpu support list:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pro...0#fragment-CPU
                    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

AMD Phenom™ II Six-Core Black Edition1090T (E0) (125W) Since this one is on the list does that mean I could use this CPU in my mobo? If so then I could upgrade my mobo later on with a higher ram?

sigpic

Comment

Just check to make sure yor bios is a version that supports it. In order to use ddr3 ram you would need a different motherboard.

Benchmarks of ddr2 vs ddr3:
                        http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...-x4-810_9.html
                        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Dumb question, how would I check to see if my bios can support the new cpu before buying it. Also, if it does then I can upgrade to ddr3 ram with the evo or forumla board at a later date, an just use the new processor with that mobo, in a hopefull perfect situation.

sigpic

Comment

Check your BIOS version(maybe available in the BIOS or during boot) and compare it to the ones listed here:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/ECS...yword=A780GM-A

*note there are 3 PCB versions of this board 1, 1.1, and ULTRA

I don't know specifics about the evo or formula board but if they support DDR3 memory and are socket AM3 they probably can take most of the CPUs on the above list.
                            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

If you can upgrade to a Phenom II X4 or X6, that would be a pretty substantial upgrade. Don't worry too much about DDR3. Yes it can make a difference, but not nearly as much as upgrading your GPU would. Save up for a new GPU before a RAM upgrade. Besides, you already have 8GB which is a very good amount.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X