Killer build - gaming, video editing, bragging - help pick parts please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killer build - gaming, video editing, bragging - help pick parts please

so, my core i7 rig is awesome, and was a good upgrade from the c2q, but I got the itch and a few grand burning a hole in my pocket.

I will be keeping:

2x Dell Ultrasharp U2311H (23" 1920x1080 IPS)
    Corsair F60 Sandforce 1200 SSD
    bunch of 1TB+ HDD
    DVD+_RW
    BR-RE
    Silverstone 750watt modular power supply

so, basically, I need mobo/ram/video/cpu and possibly another F60 to do raid 0.

Here's my thoughts:

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115070

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813131730R

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233143

PNY VCGGTX570XPB GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133370

Corsair Force Series CSSD-F60GB2-BRKT 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233124

while I don't mind spending some $$$, I also want to be smart with the money. I have to have esata, usb3, gigabit ethernet, no less than 12 gigs ram, and I have to have Nvidia video - much to my dismay (Mercury engine in Adobe - I was looking to get another ultrasharp and do eyefinity :icon_roll oh well ). I have 2x 2 TB data / cache drives to put in the box, and I have my drobo that has been recently upgraded to 5x 3TB drives for 3x 4TB partitions (12TB total, 4.7TB filled), so space is no problem.

I have tried to find information on Mercury accepting SLI, and no one actually says yes or no this year unless I missed something obvious... I would be open to SLI'ing 2 480's if Mercury would use it all, and the cost was close.

so, knowing I am more into Adobe (please don't tell me 16gb is overkill) than gaming - though gaming might be in the future with this rig - are there better options for the money? should I wait till the 22nm refresh? Should I hold out for the ivy bridge 6 core? are there price drops coming down the pipe? video cards I should hold out for?

thanks for all the help.... I have found myself out of the loop on the hardware front, and am floundering trying to make sense of the choices.
    Last edited by =DdogG=; 07-23-2011, 10:22 PM.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Re: Killer build - gaming, video editing, bragging - help pick parts please

The GTX 570s are known for catching fire. (the VRMs they used on those boards aren't adequate for the power the card requires.) You might need to save your pennies and go with a 580 instead.

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/9291...no-recent.html

Also, Ivy Bridge is a ways off but Bulldozer should be out in the next 2 months (at the worst) and it might be worth waiting to see how that competes with Sandy Bridge.
    sigpic

Comment

I say hold off until the fall, see what new hardware comes out and what prices drop.
      |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Wait for Bulldozer to get reviewed first. It may just end up changing your overall build.

I did not know that the 570s were fire prone (nice Buckets!). I recommend going for the GTX580 if money isn't even a issue. Not much point in getting a 570 when you can get one of the best nV cards on the market today.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I had NO clue on the 570 had suck serious issues, and I also had no clue bulldozer could potentially be a sandy bridge competitor... thanks for the heads up...
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
            I had NO clue on the 570 had suck serious issues, and I also had no clue bulldozer could potentially be a sandy bridge competitor... thanks for the heads up...
            There were some leaked early benches of the high-end Bulldozer chip and from the looks of it, it surpasses the i7 2600k by a good margin. Until there's some extensive review, we're speculating it could topple Intel's current little empire and steal the crown back.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Going from Nehalem to Sandy Bridge isn't a worthwhile upgrade. At least wait for Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge E. You could buy a GTX 580 in the meantime though.
              "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

yeah, I saw some benchmarks and was disappointed by the difference. I think I may go ahead and get a 580 - 600 series aren't about to come out, are they?.

Comment

Nope, not for a few months at least. The earliest we're expecting a 600 card is around Christmas, but that almost never pans out. So realistically, probably like middle or late Q1 2012 (aka Feb or March).
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X