Wintec Industries?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wintec Industries?

I've never heard of them, but apparently they've been around since 1988 and they make tablets. Not tablets I'd touch with a ten-foot pole, mind you, but tablets nonetheless.

Have you ever heard of them? Had any dealings with them? Looks like the stereotypical cheap Chinese knockoff.

A co-worker has asked me for an opinion on the above-linked product. My response -- largely negative -- can be pretty much summarized as "someone stuck a phone behind a tablet screen." Would you say the characterization is valid?

(A note: While it's mentioned nowhere on the Wally World specs page, the tablet does appear to have internal memory -- 8GB of EEPROM flash)

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
    --BlackMirror
    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
    Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
    --Blackraven93

Re: Wintec Industries?

They've only entered the computer electronics market a few years ago (around 2003) as far as I can tell. I haven't bought anything from them other than RAM. As for as RAM goes, they make some good stuff. In fact their "high performance" stuff sells under the as "AMP" is actually one of the better performers out there. I have a 4 GB (2x2) pair in my LAN and haven't had any problems.

As for tablets, most companies (including Viewsonic) who can't afford to OEM their own usually have a factory who already produces tablets to brand one for them (and/or to customize one to their liking). The same case here, it's looks like the resistive version of the Renesas tablet sold in China. Since it is a resistive panel, you're going to be poking and poke-dragging a lot, so that might be a turn off if you're looking for a touch-and-swipe affair (capacitive). The factory that produces the Renesas probably OEMs Samsung's Tab tablet (judging by the front bezel on the Renesas). It's just as responsive as most of the ones out on the market today and half the cost or so ($205).

I wouldn't say these are knockoffs. I actually have my eye on quite a few nice China produced tablets (over at MP4Nation.net). The major Chinese brands produce their own and yes sometimes they may resemble a name-brand tablet, in most cases only that's not the case. Insides are usually some customized affair that performs just as well as any name brand or better.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Looking at both the Renesas and the Wintec again, they seem to be sporting some seriously underpowered chips. According to a friend, even the 600MHz Qualcomm has trouble handling Gingerbread and apps on his old phone. With a multitasking tablet, I expect the problem to be even worse. Same goes for the 533MHz A9 chip. I wonder if the significantly older chip explains most of the price difference, as well.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
      --BlackMirror
      <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
      Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
      --Blackraven93

Comment

The A9 is actually a dual-core chip that handles mutlitasking quite well (watch the video review) from what I've read from owners at MP4Nation. I don't think your friend's phone has a dual-core chip? Also most phones lack dedicated RAM (unlike most tablets which have dedicated RAM) and thus relies on the onboard NAND chips to not only service storage, but memory as well, giving it a performance hit. As for the Qualcomm, that may be the case, but without actually putting one through the paces, it's hard to say. Consider the price tag.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X