Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Tech problem]I have random mouse "lag or jerkyness" at times in game or on desktop.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Tech problem]I have random mouse "lag or jerkyness" at times in game or on desktop.

I recently built a computer, and my mouse will randomly start to stutter, or jerk around if you will. As if my computer is under heavy load. Its almost as if its getting 10fps. It happens for only a few seconds and It doesnt happen all the time, but its annoying when playing games like BC2. It also seems to happen when i am about to shoot someone. :(

The only thing i can think of is it may be the RAM. My motherboard officially supports DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1333/1066
    However, my RAM is DDR3 1600. Now, ive heard that its not a big deal because the RAM will just automatically go to 1333. Which it did. So i went into BIOS and manually set it to 1600. It seems to have made the mouse stutters happen less often, but they still come up.

Could it be the Hard Drive?

Anyway here are my specs and im hoping its nothing serious.

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX

EVGA 03G-P3-1584-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3072MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W ATX 12V v2.3, EPS 12V v2.91 CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active ...

GIGABYTE GA-870A-USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible

CPU and GPU run very cool also.
    Last edited by OriginalWarrior; 07-30-2011, 03:56 PM.
    -oG.WarrioR-

|?|

Re: [Tech problem]I have random mouse "lag or jerkyness" at times in game or on deskt

What surface does the mouse run on? Surfaces that are multicolored, or holographic in nature, can cause the mouse to skip due to it not being able to find points of reference.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Re: [Tech problem]I have random mouse "lag or jerkyness" at times in game or on deskt

So this might sound like a silly question but what brand is the mouse?

I used to run with a very very cheap and nasty mouse for a while that had one of those wireless dongles that plug into a USB port. Whenever the PC got under heavy load, and ESPECIALLY when it accessed ANYTHING connected to a USB port, the mouse pointer used to stutter, didn't pick up responses, etc.

If you're using a full on wired gaming mouse, connect it direct to the ports on the mobo (And not via a hub, a front loader, via a keyboard or whatever) and ensure the USB ports are getting full power. If that's not the issue, i'm afraid I can't think of what it might be.

I'm confident however that if the PC itself ain't stuttering or a game, it's just the mouse itself, which usually implies a power or signal problem from a wireless mouse.

Hope that helps! :D

Comment

If it's a Razer mouse with a Phillips dual eye sensor, there is a good chance you need a new mouse. Otherwise, it sounds a lot like a driver issue to me.
        sigpic

Comment

As Sir-Nerd pointed out, mousing surface really matters. Try using your mouse on a clean, solid color, non-reflective surface (meaning not glossy), and non-reflective or transparent.

Optical mice usually (not always) work fine over high gloss surfaces, but jerk about when used on a patterned surface (not one solid color). Laser mice on the other hand often fail to work on high gloss or even glossy surfaces due to the reflection of the laser. Usually laser mice have no problems over patterned surfaces. Neither type of tracking will work on glass or other translucent surfaces. Hence, why it's usually suggested you mouse over a clean, solid color, non-reflective and not transparent (or translucent) surface. Obviously keep your wireless mouse clear of any strong EM fields (such as microwaves, radios, cordless telephones, cell phones, etc).

(If you are interested... The exception to the above rules would be Microsoft's BlueTrack Optical and Logitech's Darkfield Laser technologies. Both of which can handle glossy surfaces and glass/translucent surfaces (as long as they are at least 4mm thick).)

If that doesn't work, try a different USB port if you are using a corded mouse. If you are using a wireless mouse, keep the mouse and USB dongle within line of sight of each other. Both should be within 3 feet (900 mhz) to 10 feet (2.4 ghz) of one another and there should not be any (dense) objects in the way. Otherwise, you'll have jittery mouse movements because of poor signal quality (due to significant distance and/or dense objects in the way).

If that doesn't help, it's either drivers/software problem or the mouse itself. If you have any mousing software installed (ex: Logitech Setpoint), uninstall that software and see if your jittery problem goes away. If that still does not resolve your problem, replace the mouse as often times the sensor and/or the optics on the mouse have gone bad.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hmmm.. i have been using "Microsoft Mobile Wireless Mouse 4000" Its like a $30 mouse. Also, i have a multicolored mousepad. I just plugged in the $6 USB wired microsoft optical mouse.. and my problem seems to have gone away.

Here i was thinking i would end up RMA'ing my RAM or HD. But i knew before i did that i would have to post a thread here, because i know TG is very useful and helpful.

+Rep for everyone who helped me. THANK YOU guys. Nice save.

whew...
            -oG.WarrioR-

|?|

Comment

If you like the Microsoft series of mice, consider picking up one of these other MS mice:

Comfort Mouse 6000 ($35 shipped): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826105425

Sidewinder X3 Gaming ($44 shipped): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826105324

Or if you don't and want to try out other mice, I highly recommend any of these:

Gigabyte 2.4 GHz Wireless Gaming ($31 shipped): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826146023
              - This thing is finally back in stock. Too bad I already bought a GA mouse or else this would already be on it's way to my house for my LAN rig. :D

Gigabyte 2.4 Ghz AIVIA Wireless Gaming ($112 shipped): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826146022
              - Pretty expensive, more than I paid for even my Logitech G700. But man it is one very sweet and sleek looking mouse. Not to mention it's pretty customizable with quite a few buttons.

Logitech G400 Wired Gaming ($45 shipped): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826104577
              - This is the successor to one of the most popular gaming mice ever: the MX518. From the few who own it at TG, they have nothing but good things to say about it (that I've heard).

Logitech G500 Wired Gaming ($52 shipped): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826104318
              - This is one of the first Logitech mice I recommend to any gamer. It has more than enough buttons for most gamers, dpi on-the-fly adjustment, and a tilt wheel. Not to mention laser tracking and the usual Logitech quality.

Logitech G9x Wired Gaming ($60 shipped): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826104261
              - My least favorite gaming mouse from Logitech. The shape, feel, and the overall rough grain texture of the molded plastic grips pushed me away even more. Quite a few still love the mouse and besides the fact it's great for claw grips, it has interchangeable cover grips.

Logitech G700 Wireless Gaming ($90 shipped): http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wirel...2098040&sr=8-1
              - This is the mouse I currently own and use on my main rig. It not only has the usual features I expect (tilt wheel, hyper scroll wheel, dpi sens adjust, 2.4 GHz wireless (also can be wired via the charging cable), but also has total of 13 programmable buttons. It has 4 side buttons and three index buttons. That alone sold me on the mouse making weapons in games and hot keys/binds within easy reach at all times. Also one of the more expensive mice.

I'm sure others have more mice to recommend as I'm sure I left out several very nice mice from other brands.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I will check out those Mice... thank you for your time Acreo
                -oG.WarrioR-

|?|

Comment

Glad it got sorted OG.

On the topic of mice Acreo, does the G700 have the same solid metal scroll wheel as the G9? I use the G9 and really like it, the scroll wheel is the best I have ever had. Solid, good left and right tilt, solid click on each scroll or you can unlock it to free scroll for documents.

Only thing is it isn't the most comfortable and I'd like something more ergonomic. So is it the same wheel, if it is I will pick one up.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                    Glad it got sorted OG.

On the topic of mice Acreo, does the G700 have the same solid metal scroll wheel as the G9? I use the G9 and really like it, the scroll wheel is the best I have ever had. Solid, good left and right tilt, solid click on each scroll or you can unlock it to free scroll for documents.

Only thing is it isn't the most comfortable and I'd like something more ergonomic. So is it the same wheel, if it is I will pick one up.

Cheers
                    Yeppity yup to the metal scroll wheel as the G9, MX Performance, MX1100, and several other mice that use the "hyper scroll" wheel feature.

Like my MX1100, the button right "under" the wheel switches the wheel from smooth to clicky. So you still have a middle mouse button. Also, it's not like the G9 where you have to flip the mouse over to switch the two scroll modes. Left and right tilts have a bit more resistance, but they have a great feedback to them (I think better than the G9 or my old MX1100).
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I experienced a similar issue and it may be a driver issue with the mouse. Some older mouses are just not compatible with Win 7 64 bit , even with the updated drivers. I tried everything with mine and finally gave in an bought a new mouse . Presto problem solved and has never occurred again.
                      I want all those who get to know me
                      To become admirers or my enemies

Comment

Had to register here as i'm experiencing exactly the same problem with a similar upgrade.

• Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
                        • AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 965 Black Edition 3.40GHz
                        • Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
                        • MSI ATI Radeon HD 6870 OC HAWK
                        • Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit

My mouse is the Logitech MX Revolution and i've never had any problems with it before. Using an Icemat underneath. I've noticed the juttering gets worse when the CPU and memory are in heavier usage other than idle but even then the juttering is noticeable.

Guess i'll have to try a different mouse but just wanted to add to the thread :)

Comment

Are you using Setpoint Chef?
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hi all,

Hoping anyone else has any insight to this issue. It is only a recent issue, which has appeared about 2-3 weeks ago. I have tried with two different mouses (mice?) and am having thee same issue. It now seems to be effecting my keyboard typing as well. Heavy load or low, my mouse skips and jerks around, it "lags." And now it seems my keyboard is double typing characters (this JUST started. I'm not sure if it's just this website). Tried switching from my Microsoft 5000 to the Logitech M310 that came with my keyboard/mouse combo which I purchased due to the M5000 mouse lag. Each have the same issues (the M5000 seems to have more - but I'm not sure if it is just perspective). Tried switching ports, to USB 2.0, to no avail. Removed cordless phone, no help.

If anyone else is having similar problems, and found a fix, please post. Greatly appreciated.

EDIT to post specs:

* Windows 7 32 bit (4GB RAM)
                            * GTX 470 1 gb
                            * Phenom 965 quad core Black Edition 3.4ghz (not OC'D)
                            * ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

-J

Comment

JCM,

Is your keyboard wireless as well? Do you have a wired keyboard and mouse to try?

Sometimes the cause might just be lots of wireless signals in the vicinity causing interference with your wireless devices.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X