Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benefits/drawbacks of unlocking 6950 to 6970?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits/drawbacks of unlocking 6950 to 6970?

So what are the benefits? Do you get the same card basically if you unlock your 6950 2gb to a 6970 2gb? Or is the 6970 actually worth the extra money?

I've also read somewhere that you cant unlock the 6950 anymore. is this true? and if I unlock my 6950 to 6970 will i still be able to overclock the 6970?
    Last edited by Kwalc; 08-01-2011, 06:57 AM.

Benefits/drawbacks of unlocking 6950 to 6970?

posted this in the PR section but i forgot about this forum. its better suited here.

So what are the benefits? Do you get the same card basically if you unlock your 6950 2gb to a 6970 2gb? Or is the 6970 actually worth the extra money?
    I've also read somewhere that you cant unlock the 6950 anymore. is this true? and if I unlock my 6950 to 6970 will i still be able to overclock the 6970?

Comment

Re: Benefits/drawbacks of unlocking 6950 to 6970?

You may want to bring this up in the general Hardware / Software forum. You may get a quick response and be seen by people who don't frequent the PR forum.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

I did it. I have the 2GB card with the dual bios switch.

Benefits:
        You get a 6970 :)
        actually you need to do a 10% OC to get the exact same specs as a 6970, I flashed my Bios but did not do the OC and have yet to see any game make this thing cry......so I idle at 30C and in BC2 marathons it jumps to 48C, pretty good actually.

You can still OC if you flash the Bios.

Here's the beauty of the whole thing....if it doesn't like the flash or your not happy with it....flip the switch and you have bone stock 6950. Even if you do flash it to 6970, you can always flsh it back to 6950.

My card is one of the first and it had a dual bios switch.....not sure if the new ones have this.

This is a very good article that shows exactly what the bios flash does:
        http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/159

it also contains all the info to do it. The XFX is what I have
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Basically what Ven said. You might still need to OC the card a bit to get the same performance as a HD6970. The only thing I'd worry about is making sure you have a 6950 with a good cooler on there and good airflow in your case. Any time you flash to a higher piece of hardware and add some OC to it, it's gonna heat up more and faster. Last thing you want is a burnt out card because the cooler was never designed to handle a OC.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

but I have read around that with the newer versions of the 6950, you cant unlock them anymore. Anyone know if this is true or not?

Comment

I do not. Possibly look on Ebay for a first gen if it's a concern.
              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X