No announcement yet.

Really slow transfer rates between drives

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really slow transfer rates between drives

I recently got a terabyte HDD from Seagate @ 7200 RPM with a 32mb cache.

My hope is to move my Steam and games over to this [120GB!], but when moving my Steam directory over (attempting to avoid downloading again) the transfer rate is approximately 300-200kb/s! Transferring a smaller amount [14gb] yielded a rate of about 15-30mb/s.

I do know that previous attempts at defraging my older HDD have never been completed despite 8-12+ hours... but this seems ridiculous... any potential problems going on here?

[When I take it peicemeal it seems to transfer faster]
    Last edited by Ytman; 08-08-2011, 04:35 AM.
    No person can simply just be; they are what they do.

Re: Really slow transfer rates between drives

I would download HD Tune, snip the results you get and put em up so it will give me a better idea on what's going on. Also, could you give the model of the hard drive?

How big is your old hard drive and how much free space does it have? When you defrag a hard drive, you really want to have at least 20% of the space free so that the defrag program has room to move files around. Those insanely long defrag times are usually the result of trying to defrag a hard drive that is basically full.
      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

It's going slowly probably because of the fragmentation of your files (meaning the head has to go back and forth between various sectors very quickly), the files it's moving first are the smaller files (prioritization by size), and/or you have something else being written or copied to/from on one or both of the drives (simultaneous transfers).

To add to Voodoo's post, I believe Windows mandates at least 15 GBs of free space for any hard drive to be able to defrag using the built-in Windows defrag tool. Typically most recommend 20% since it often speeds up the defrag the more space you have especially on higher density disks to allow for quicker reordering of files.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed