No announcement yet.

EUCLIDEON and Unlimited Detail

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EUCLIDEON and Unlimited Detail

During one of my surfing-the-web-aimlessly sessions, I found the following video:

Originally posted by Euclideon's Website
    Most 3D technology is created for computer games using angular polygons. Euclideon has developed what may prove to be a ground-breaking advance in 3D technology by creating a search algorithm that will result in 3D images with vastly higher geometry while saving costs and offering greater portability between platforms. It will have benefits for architecture, games, mining, the sciences and many other industries.
    After watching the video, I find myself having trouble believing that Euclideon's "Unlimited Detail" software is able to achieve that level of detail while rendering in software mode. (Granted, I am a card carrying Skeptic and programming 3d games boggles my mind) Has anyone else heard of this company or their technology?

Link to Euclideon's YouTube Channel (2 videos are listed but, I think they are the same)
    Link to Euclideon's website

Re: EUCLIDEON and Unlimited Detail

Until we get our hands on a demo or the product itself, it's hard to say. I'm also very skeptical about this tech and how it's going to be more efficient than current polygon graphics when computing power dramatically increases with more detail.

In the "close up" video areas, it's hard to say that it is real geometry or just very deep (perceptually deeper) bump mapping. There just enough enough technical details about how everything is rendered to say if it's real or half bull.

Something important to keep in mind. Nothing on that island seems to inhibit any motion or dynamics. Meaning, it's static lighting, static water (however they did water), and static objects. Nothing moves and obviously shadows only have a few shades (which they are supposedly remedying).

However, I'm intrigued. Basically it's a wet dream for level designers and 3D artists. (I could finally create a very detailed photo-realistic level/environment without all the little extras I have to mess with if this tech is what it promises to be. I don't have to worry about a potential gamer not being able to play the level because of low framerates.)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed