Which headset?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which headset?

So I am looking for a new long-lasting headset. My current headset is showing serious signs of wear and tear and I believe the microphone doesn't bend anymore as well, which makes it hard for any voice programs to capture my voice without me hollering into it.

I was browsing through Amazon and found some that were rated very highly by the users there:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1SAU5M1QZVTHL

I am primarily looking for comfort for long gaming sessions. 5.1 surround sound isn't overly necessary since I am deaf in 1 ear so I probably won't appreciate it anyways :p

Also if you guys have any of your own suggestions, they are more than welcome.

Thanks.

Re: Which headset?

I have the PC350 and I'm quite a fan of them. No idea what the advantages might be to the PC360 model.

Comment

If you can afford, the PC350 is your best bet of the four. I wouldn't recommend those Creative ones since they may be closed, but those cups are small and crimp most ears (unless you have tiny ears). I own the GameCom 367 and they have large cups that are circumaural (goes around your ears) especially if you have big ears like myself. Unfortunately, they're more akin to semi-open phones rather than closed ones as the cups don't isolate that well.

The PC360 looks to be a open-back design so most background noise can be heard clearly while you have them on. I wouldn't recommend those unless you like the open SQ signature and don't have much background noise to contend with.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The Senn. 360 are supposed to have better positioning and, of those choices, I would probably recommend them. I have the PC350s and they sound much better than the Creative ones (which I have had as well). I have had some Plantronics similar to those and they are very basic, but they are $25 too.

360~350>creative>plantronic.

I resently upgraded my audio equipment and went with these:
        Fostex t50rp
        ATR4700 mic

I love these headphones. Listening to music is wonderful. For gaming, I just turn down the bass on my sound card and it sounds better than the Senn. 350s I replaced. I did a little modding as recommended on head-fi.org and it made a noticeable difference. If you were thinking about the Senn. headsets, think about this too. It is cheaper and you could put the money towards a decent sound card or pocket the savings
        Viking

Comment

Those Fostexs are much loved by many audiophiles over at Head-Fi. Makes for a nice DIY headset if you listen to music a lot on your PC. :)
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I use the PC350s myself, so I highly recommend them!

Only bad thing is that they give me really bad headphone hair and typically I have to re-style my hair after wearing for a long period.

EDIT: Just realize that the above does not apply to you. ;)
            Last edited by DrBeat; 08-14-2011, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Senn PC 360 here, best headphones I have owned, from Sharkoons, creative and razer.

Comment

If your looking for a really good pair of <$100 headphones I would check out the Logitech G35's. I love them personally and even though it doesnt apply to you, its 7.1 Surround sound is also very nice.

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post

Only bad thing is that they give me really bad headphone hair and typically I have to re-style my hair after wearing for a long period.
                It is sad that I have normal short hair and I somehow get weird headphones hair myself. The giant comfortable pad on the G35's smashes down the hair in the middle of my head giving it the wave feel. Luckily since I am a guy it takes probably ~5 seconds to fix with a brush.

Former TG-21st
                Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Out of principle I would stay away from Fatal1ty/Creative stuff.

PC350's are all the rage. I've gotten to use them at a buddie's house and I can definitely see why people love them - they are the best sound quality.

I have the Gamescom headset you're thinking about. I've had it for about 4-5 months now, and it's really great for the price. Good sound quality (and I'm a bit of an audiophile with my music collection), comfortable for long sessions (I have to use them primarily, and use them almost 100% for gaming), and are durable.

If you can afford the 350's, get em. If not, I do recommend the Gamescom.
                  Skud

Comment

I have the PC 350s also and love them. I got them probably about 2 years ago and I feel they haven't change a bit, well maybe just a tad better than new. Only thing I don't like is the closed design, seems to get my ears hot. I might try the pc 360s next.

Comment

Headphone hair, oh my goodness I hate it so much. It's the main reason I stopped using headphones. Now I only use them if I know I'm not going out, so I don't have to worry about having stupid hair.

On topic, I have a pair of Speedlink Medusa headphones, they're pretty good. Comfy, 5.1 surround, insane bass (playing BC2 if a large explosion happens nearby, they literally make your head vibrate - awesome! It kinda tickles though), good microphone on a flexible boom, rather than a solid one, which makes positioning it easier.
                      Biggest problem is the aforementioned hair, though apparently you do not need to worry about that.
                      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                      Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I use the PC350s myself, so I highly recommend them!

EDIT: Just realize that the above does not apply to you. ;)
                        Lol!

on topic I have these for the last 2 years and absolutely love them

super comfortable and great sound. I think most people see the price tag and just over look them....big mistake.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by Ven; 08-17-2011, 08:35 AM.
                        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I have found that the Senn 555s have a much better sound quality than the PC350s, and also cheaper. You can find a used pair with hardly no wear for ~$50-70. Get that and the headphone cord zalman clip-on mic and you're set. This is coming from a guy that has owned the PC350, 555, 595, and the 650s. For the price you are basically paying for the "gaming" in the title of the headphone... if you really want to spend $150-200 on a headset there are better choices...

Not to knock anyone around here, but get some educated opinions over at places like headfi. They will steer you in the right direction.

Also to add, stay away from logitech or basically anything that advertises for "gaming". You are always more than likely going to pay more than what you'll get in return. It's unfortunate that I just sold my pair of 595s about a month ago or I would give you a deal for em, they didn't even have 10 hours of burn in on them yet and I sold those for $90 just to get rid of them quick. The 595s trumps the PC350-360s in all areas.
                          A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Personally I love my PC 360's, but I am with you, stay away from the gimmicky "gaming" products and 7.1 stuff. 2 great large steareo speakers in your headphones are way better than loads of small crappy tin ones, I have experience and know which I will be sticking with!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                              Personally I love my PC 360's, but I am with you, stay away from the gimmicky "gaming" products and 7.1 stuff. 2 great large steareo speakers in your headphones are way better than loads of small crappy tin ones, I have experience and know which I will be sticking with!
                              I was just about to edit some of that into my post :)

Stereo is the best way to go, there is no such thing as actual "7.1" when you're getting it out of only the right/left sides of the cans and are just extremely gimmicky. With that said, no matter how much you spend on headphones, if your audio source is crap... you'll be playing crap through your new cans. In most cases, better/quality headphones will actually make your onboard audio sound worse. So if you don't already have a dedicated sound card, then I would look into that.

On the topic of sound cards, Asus tends to make more geared towards music while Creative more towards gaming. So it's really about your own preference. There are a couple companies like Auzentech that makes the Forte that has extremely good music quality and still boasts X-Fi for gaming. Thankfully, with Auzentech you get better drivers, etc than you do with Creative so that's something to look into as well.

-----------------

Back onto headphones, and what I left out of my first post... you need to consider what you will be doing the most. Closed back headphones will not give you the best positional audio or soundstage, but it will give you more bass. Where-as, open back will leak a lot of sound into your surroundings. So if you need your headphones to be quiet then open-backs are a no-go. But I will say again, stay away from "gaming" headphones, as the 555, 595s, or anything in the upper Senn 500 series are all superior to the PC series. Another note about Sennheiser though is that they tend to have more of a "True/Natural" sound. It's difficult to explain, but most would say that they are better for classical/jazz then they would be for rap, rock, etc. If that's not for you, then you may want to look around at other high quality brands such as Audio-Technica that still are great for gaming but has a slightly more pronounced sound.

I will list some that are better choices:

1. Anything Sennheiser 550+ Series
                              2. Most would say these are better than the Senn 555s and on-par with the 595s - Audio Technica ATH-AD700
                              3. Other brands such as AKG, Grado, Beyerdynamic all are great alternatives as well. I'm just not as experienced with these.

These are my next buy ;)
                              4. Audio Technica ATH-AD900

--------------------

When purchasing headphones you'll notice some come in different OHMs. If you do not have a dedicated amp, then get the set in the lowest OHM. Many manufacturers will sell the same type of headphones but in different OHM categories(For those that have amps and for those that do not). If you don't have a dedicated amp, or a sound card with an amp, then you will basically bottleneck your headphones that have higher OHM needs. So just choose the headphones with the lowest and you'll be set.
                              Last edited by Kappa; 08-17-2011, 09:39 AM.
                              A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X