New build. September '11

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build. September '11

So I have to give up my old comp sooner than expected, and will be rigless for a month. But on th eplus side I was given the go ahead for a new build and was wondering on thoughts or ideas or adjustments. This is a somewhat rough draft of an AMD build that I like but I am also considering a decent Sandy bridge build considering how much they out perform AMD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119160
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131736
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121425
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371049
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103913
    x2http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233142
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233181
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135204
    and of course Win7 64 bit
    Last edited by Belander; 08-14-2011, 06:05 PM.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Re: New build. September '11

I still need and aftermarket cooler for my CPU. I plan on OCing.

sigpic

Comment

Can you wait another two months before building? AMD's Bulldozer chips are expected to release late October and from the early benchmark leaks might outperform the current Sandy Bridge chips.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I thought about waiting for the bulldozer series, just not sure if the wait+increase in cost for brand new shinies will be worth it. Dunno though alwasy open to suggestions and information.

sigpic

Comment

Contemplating about SLI'ing 2 ASUS GeForce GTX 560 Ti

sigpic

Comment

Buying a high end Phenom II and motherboard doesn't really make sense anymore. If you can wait to see what the Bulldozers can do, then that's the right move. If you can't wait, just buy a Core i5 2500k since it's already really fast. Even if Bulldozer came out and was a little bit faster than Sandy Bridge, it would probably not make any difference in real world usage anyways.

Also I would recommend staying away from the Corsair Force 3 series. Sounds like a lot of people are having some serious issues with those.
            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

The corsairs had a recall on there ones 1125 and under. Those that have sent them in and got replacements or bought them after the recall seem to have far far greater experience and luck with them. Apparently some issues they had they corrected. Also the original force series was only 200+ write and 115ish read, now with the recall and the redo they are over 500 read and write. Figure give it a shot since corsair makes some good stuff and if it fails warranty it.

Any suggestions on a decent SSD? I only plan on having my OS and BF3, an maybe BF2 an BC2 on it. This computer will only be used for forum traffic here and gaming period. I have a laptop I will use for all my silly facebook junk and garbage.

Any ideas or setup for a sandy bridge build voodoo? I have never ever done anything besides AMD. Last intel I had was a DELL from 98... lol

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Belander View Post
                I thought about waiting for the bulldozer series, just not sure if the wait+increase in cost for brand new shinies will be worth it. Dunno though alwasy open to suggestions and information.
                You're going to be paying the same for Bulldozer (though probably less) than you are paying for current Sandy Bridge chips and their associated hardware. So when you view it in that way, you're not paying more.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Belander View Post
                  The corsairs had a recall on there ones 1125 and under. Those that have sent them in and got replacements or bought them after the recall seem to have far far greater experience and luck with them. Apparently some issues they had they corrected. Also the original force series was only 200+ write and 115ish read, now with the recall and the redo they are over 500 read and write. Figure give it a shot since corsair makes some good stuff and if it fails warranty it.

Any suggestions on a decent SSD? I only plan on having my OS and BF3, an maybe BF2 an BC2 on it. This computer will only be used for forum traffic here and gaming period. I have a laptop I will use for all my silly facebook junk and garbage.

Any ideas or setup for a sandy bridge build voodoo? I have never ever done anything besides AMD. Last intel I had was a DELL from 98... lol
                  The original Corsair Force was a different SSD using an older memory controller which is why it is slower. With the Force 3 they had to recall them due to vaguely worded "stability problems". That was a while ago and supposedly the problem has been fixed, but if you take a close look at the newegg user reviews which is currently a fairly pathetic 2 out of 5 eggs, you'll see many people are still complaining about the new Force 3 models arriving DOA or dying shortly after a couple months. Sure you could always RMA the drive if it fails under warranty, but that's a pretty big hassle if you have Windows installed on it. The only current-gen SSD I'm recommending these days is the Intel 510 series as it is probably the best combination of performance and reliability right now. For something a little more affordable and still reliable, I would check out the Crucial M4 ssd.

Sandy Bridge builds are pretty easy. The CPU should be a Core i5 2500k as it is easily overclockable and reasonably priced at ~$200. The motherboard you get has to either be a P67 or a Z68 board if you want to overclock. Every manufacturer has diffferent models based on both the P67 and Z68 which vary based on the features. I always recommend Asus over anybody else and all their P8Z68 models should be good. The P8Z68-V Pro is a good board and is high end at around $200 while their P8Z68-V LE is their cheaper model at $133.

Also, Acreo is right about the Bulldozer pricing. Their line of chips will top out at $300 for the flagship model so the pricing should be competitive with Sandy Bridge although their performance is unknown at the moment. Waiting for Bulldozer is not a bad move, but personally I wouldn't wait for it if I didn't have a PC until then.
                  "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Thanks for the information. An yes being without a PC until the bulldozers come out would be, needless to say very hard for me as I have been a hard PC gamer for well over 10 years.

My uncle is a computer tech for a local company where I live and he recommends ASUS boards and video cards as well as PNY video cards. I think I will play with a sandy bridge build for a bit and post up what I come up with in a bit. Should be interesting.

sigpic

Comment

I built a socket 939 system right before the original core 2 duo's dropped. Unless you have disposable income, I'd say wait. The price drop will make your system overall less expensive, and you could put that cash towards a SSD/SLI/etc. Its normally stupid to follow the "wait and see what the market does" rule, when it comes to computer stuff, but when its something like a new platform launching, its easy to predict a price drop.

Comment

Well thats why I was looking at getting the Sabortooth board from ASUS its a AM3+ so i could get a a decent amd chip now, then bulldozer drops and see what they can do and upgrade to a BD chip come spring. Was just a thought.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...