qwerty to Dvorak?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• qwerty to Dvorak?

Is there anyone here that uses the dvorak key layout? Anyone ever make the switch from qwerty to dvorak?

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Re: qwerty to Dvorak?

I've heard the adjustment is pretty awful. A friend of mine contemplated it for awhile, but I don't think he ever made the change. If you do it, I'd love to hear how it goes.

Comment

Supposedly offers faster typing since 70% of the most used English letters are on the home-line keys rather than just 30%. Personally, I could never make the switch since 99% of the keyboards out there are QWERTY, not DVORAK. If I ever made the switch, I'd be hunting for keyboards like crazy every few years.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        Supposedly offers faster typing since 70% of the most used English letters are on the home-line keys rather than just 30%. Personally, I could never make the switch since 99% of the keyboards out there are QWERTY, not DVORAK. If I ever made the switch, I'd be hunting for keyboards like crazy every few years.
        Couldn't you just rearrange the keys on a regular QWERTY keyboard?
        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
          Couldn't you just rearrange the keys on a regular QWERTY keyboard?
          Yes in most cases (also need to change the keyboard layout setting in your OS to whichever DVORAK you are using). Some keyboards (like mechanical ones or specialized "scissor" keys) it wouldn't be feasible. On more expensive keyboards, that usually voids their nice warranties. Plus it's pain having to do it almost every keyboard I buy (or spend more for a "non-standard" layout).

Here's a article on DVORAK vs. QWERTY layouts from a while back that I had bookmarked. It's an interesting read as the guy explains how QWERTY layout came about and why it's still the dominant layout everywhere.

Another to keep in mind, if learning DVORAK, you're not learning to replace QWERTY but rather complement it. If you can keep track of both layouts and type pretty well going from one to the other, great. This might be an issue you'd have to bring up at work or maybe keep two keyboards on hand (one for QWERTY in case your co-worker/boss uses your machine; one for DVORAK for yourself).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'll certainly try this out if only to confuse people :D

Comment

My wife had made the switch a number of years ago, due to serious issues with carpal tunnel syndrome -- the peripheral neuropathy was getting bad enough that she wasn't just in pain, but was starting to lose sensation in her fingers. It took her about three weeks to get up to full speed again, and I certainly wouldn't say the adjustment period was terrible. The main thing this had done was solve the carpal tunnel issues: I don't think that wrist brace has been used in eight years now.

On the flip side, I decided to try the same when she started practising the new layout. Two days and a sum total of half an hour of typing practice later, I had my first ever bout of tendonitis. According to the doctor this isn't uncommon, and tendonitis can show up when you significantly change the positioning of your hands on a keyboard, so be aware of that. I'd given up at that point, so I don't know if there was a way around the issue, or if I am forever barred from DVORAK.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
              --BlackMirror
              <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
              Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
              --Blackraven93

Comment

I didn't care much for DVORAK, it just didn't click with me. When I can already type at 100+ WPM on QWERTY with under 1% error, I didn't see the point when it was just going to be an obnoxious thing to have to deal with. No school is going to have a DVORAK-equipped/ready machines and no workplace is going to have one on hand. Then on top of that, if someone has to borrow access to your DVORAK-set machines, you're just going to invite unnecessary grief.

I mean, hell, consider the stupidity that comes with being a FireFox user and being forced to use Chrome (or vice versa) or, god forbid, IE. And the differences in that comparison are 99% superficial!

Comment

I think in a situation where someone had to use your DVORAK machine you would have to just switch the keyboard layout in the OS real quick and then tell them, whatever you do, do not look down at the keyboard!
                  "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                    I think in a situation where someone had to use your DVORAK machine you would have to just switch the keyboard layout in the OS real quick and then tell them, whatever you do, do not look down at the keyboard!
                    BUT! Most (or some) people aren't touch typists. Hell some of my peers can't even type without looking out and doing the "hunt and peck". So you're still gonna need that QWERTY keyboard that comes with your workstation. :p
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X