TV for PC gaming?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV for PC gaming?

Sometime in the not too distant future I need to buy a new TV somewhere in the 30"-40" range to hook up to the computer for Netflix, Hulu, DVDs etc. So I started to think about what features would be needed to play games (BC2/BF3) on it as well.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Suggestions on specific features to look for? Is one brand better than others? If you've done the research and have a setup I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Re: TV for PC gaming?

Having a Graphics card that has a HDMI output would be nice, or if it is just DVI, you can get a DVI-HDMI adapter.

Here is a good article on gaming tvs and what to look for.

http://www.lcdtv.net/guide/what-you-...look-gaming-tv

Comment

Hmm, so it sounds like a 1080p LCD is the way to go to avoid the burn-in of the HUD. Input lag might be the deciding factor on which unit to pick.

I'm planning to upgrade my video card closer to BF3 release, so it'll have HDMI.

Comment

Generally, you'd want at least a 1080p screen if you're going for a TV as a display. TVs usually have poorer response times than computer displays, but most "big screen gamers" don't notice as they are sitting quite a ways away. The biggest problem you'll face is when viewing web pages and text documents. You'll almost always have to zoom in (browser or office app) to read it from the couch. Otherwise, you're going to be squinting or putting your nose to the screen.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I would not recommend a 40" screen if you are sitting right in front of it, go smaller, 30" may be your best bet!

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            Generally, you'd want at least a 1080p screen if you're going for a TV as a display. TVs usually have poorer response times than computer displays, but most "big screen gamers" don't notice as they are sitting quite a ways away. The biggest problem you'll face is when viewing web pages and text documents. You'll almost always have to zoom in (browser or office app) to read it from the couch. Otherwise, you're going to be squinting or putting your nose to the screen.
            Originally posted by MrMojay View Post
            I would not recommend a 40" screen if you are sitting right in front of it, go smaller, 30" may be your best bet!
            I agree with both of these statements, but I would like to add to it as well. You'll want to have a system that can keep games running on your 1080p resolution, because if not you'll just have a larger TV that will show large/low quality pixels directly into your face. If you want best of both worlds, then I suggest just getting a internet ready TV, or a dvd/blu ray player that you can hook up to your system that has netflix or hulu. If one day you want to throw your games on the bigger TV, then connect your computer to it.
            A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Just to update with the results, I walked into the local Best Buy and found a Westinghouse 32" 1080p TV on sale. Picture looked great to me with good contrast and colors and stuff, and the price was too good to not take a chance on it - I ended up getting it for $220.

So I've been playing BC2 at 32" 1920*1080 for the last week - it looks pretty darn good and I haven't noticed any input lag (Though my video card struggles a bit at times).

Using tanks or MG36 or any other longer ranged weapon is freaking fantastic, what used to be millimeter sized dots are now clear enemy outlines :D

Comment

I don't really use my big TV much (52" plasma) for gaming, but that's more to do with location of the TV vs. my PC than anything else.

I will say this though; I just picked up a set of WHDI (Wireless HDMI) adapters to use for something very much like this. I want the flexibility of being able to play games on my PC from my home theater in the next room. I also want to be able to play my PS3 on my TV upstairs in the living room.

I should have the adapters in this coming week so I'll be giving them a whirl to see how well it works. I plan on leaving my PC connected to my normal monitor via DVI and then use the WHDI off the HDMI port to the TV.

The biggest challenge I'll have I think is making sure my wireless keyboard and mouse are in range and still work properly. I picked up a rather long USB extension cable just in case that will let me extend USB to the next room so I can put the wireless transceivers for the keyboard/mouse in the home theater too.

It sounds as like the results of your testing worked quite well. Combining your setup with my wireless additions should make for a pretty pimp configuration to let me play on big screen or normal monitor.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

That sounds awesome. If the WHDI adapters work well it'll open up a ton of opportunities for configuration. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

One thing I've been using for my HTPC lately is my recently purchased Lenovo Enhanced Multimedia Remote with backlit keyboard. I haven't tested the range yet, but it's quite a steal for the price(50% off) especially since it's a backlit keyboard/mouse all-in-one.
                    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamthefallen View Post
                      That sounds awesome. If the WHDI adapters work well it'll open up a ton of opportunities for configuration. Let us know how it goes.
                      Well. They don't work so well.

The adapters I got, made by TRULink, really don't do much for me. They were incapable of establishing a link with nothing more than a sheet of plywood, carpet, and 18" of air between them. They would pretty much only link up if the transmitter and receiver were line-of-sight.

To test. I threw the transmitter behind my couch and connected it to my MacBook Pro. No-link, no worky. I pulled the transmitter out so it could "see" the receiver and they linked up. I then put the transmitter back behind the couch and it maintained the connection and the quality was great.

So.... for me, these are not very useful. I imagine if you were in a situation where you had your transmission device and display device in the same room but for some reason couldn't run an HDMI cable between them these devices would work well. Just not for my needs.

They also don't transmit HD-DTS audio and some other HD/lossless audio formats.
                      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X