Need people who know routers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need people who know routers

I had an earlier post which was lost in the forums. I believe Acreo suggested some routers but I need to refresh my idea.
    Looking for a wireless B/G/N speed router that has at-least 4 ethernet ports on the back for wired connections. Not really worried about how much security it has. Trying to stay at the $50 price point.

I was thinking about this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162033

but am wide open to anything you guys have used and liked.

P.S. I'm not a big network and setup guy.....something that's easy to setup and maintain would be nice.
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Re: Need people who know routers

That's the exact router I have. It's pretty sweet as it lets you do realtime monitoring on your network and adjust the signal strength to your liking. It was a bit confusing at first as I had never used a Buffalo product before, but after I got used to the menus it was easy.

The only thing I wish it had was a setting to never ask to a password if logging in over ethernet. My old router let me do that and it was awesome as I frequently forget the password to the admin console.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I got the bigger brother: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162031

Additional features:
      - 20 (or was it 50?) mW power for transmit
      - flashable with DD-WRT, Tomato, and other open-source custom firmwares
      - gigabit LAN ports (instead of 10/100 ports)

www.smallnetbuilder.com - They actually have a review of my bigger brother one (above). A great place to look for reviews on consumer routers and other networking gear.
      Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 08-22-2011, 04:53 PM.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks Acreo!
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Here's a comparison chart on Buffalo's site: http://www.buffalotech.com/compariso...access-points/

Both routers have a custom Buffalo version of DD-WRT installed at the factory. Unfortunately, the one Ven is looking at isn't flashable with DD-WRT, so he can't put the regular edition on the router (or any other firmware). Apparently, they both are "high power" according to that chart. The biggest I think is that the cheaper one has replaceable antennas whereas the one I own has fixed antennas. (Meaning you could get some better antennas and improve your signal quality and perhaps range.)

(Just checked Tomato firmware's site. Apparently, it doesn't support either Buffalo router, but does support a few of the older models.)
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hmmm, I might have to upgrade to the WZR-HP-G450H. That thing is sweet but pricey.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
              Hmmm, I might have to upgrade to the WZR-HP-G450H. That thing is sweet but pricey.
              Yeah, that thing is quite nice. Better wifi coverage than even my G300NH. I settled. I'd get it if you save up. Then get some nice high dbi antennas, some alum foil (so you can make parabolic directional antennas), and replace the stock ones for even better reception, range, and improved signal quality.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                I got the bigger brother: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162031

Additional features:
                - 20 (or was it 50?) mW power for transmit
                - flashable with DD-WRT, Tomato, and other open-source custom firmwares
                - gigabit LAN ports (instead of 10/100 ports)

www.smallnetbuilder.com - They actually have a review of my bigger brother one (above). A great place to look for reviews on consumer routers and other networking gear.
                Can't believe I have never come across that site before, thanks :D. I'll be in the market for a new router soon, so that site may help with my deciding when it comes down to it.
                A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X