Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Questions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Two Questions...

    I'm doing a build in preparation for BF3, and I'd like some advice on a couple things from all you guys.

    First, I've already picked out most of the components and purchased several. The big one that I'm waiting on is the graphics card(s). I'll most likely wait for EA to release the minimum and recommended specs for BF3 before ordering, but I'd still like some advice in he mean time. I'm on a fairly tight budget and I'd like to stay in the $450-500 range. I also want to go with nVidia. So, with all that said, what card(s) do you all recommend I get?


    Secondly, I will most likely be stranded upstairs without a LAN connection in sight. I'm still living here in the nest, and I think we are overdue for a wireless upgrade anyhow. I guess this question kinda has two parts; 1) what's a nice router in terms of speed but also signal strength and reliability? Should I get one of those fancy simultaneous dual-band routers (we'll definitely need to keep the 'ol 2.4 GHz broadcasting for the older devices) so I can hog the 5GHz band? Please nothing too far over ~$120 for this. 2) What should I have on the other end? A wireless card, Access Point, ect. (this is where I really need the most help). I need something that won't bottleneck the speed but also keeps my connection stable (and also under $100).

    Thanks in advance!!!

  • #2
    Re: Two Questions...

    Is your $450-500 budget JUST the graphics card? Or the GPU plus the other components?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Two Questions...

      I've been running the EVGA GTX 560 Ti and have been very happy with it's performance. I purchased the stock card (not one of the factory OC'd cards) for around $240 and it easily handles everything I throw at it (Dirt 3, BC2, CoD:BO, GTA IV) and at the highest settings possible. I've read that the GTX 570 is also a beast of a card that can be had for around $320. You could get a GTX 580 card from a different manufacturer (ECS, Zotac, Sparkle) for around $460, but I have only ever used EVGA products and can't comment on the quality of those other companies.

      Sorry that I can't comment on the wireless stuff. I just don't have enough experience with it to feel comfortable giving any advice.

      Good luck on your build!

      sigpic


      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Two Questions...

        Originally posted by Tarmus View Post
        I'm doing a build in preparation for BF3, and I'd like some advice on a couple things from all you guys.

        First, I've already picked out most of the components and purchased several. The big one that I'm waiting on is the graphics card(s). I'll most likely wait for EA to release the minimum and recommended specs for BF3 before ordering, but I'd still like some advice in he mean time. I'm on a fairly tight budget and I'd like to stay in the $450-500 range. I also want to go with nVidia. So, with all that said, what card(s) do you all recommend I get?


        Secondly, I will most likely be stranded upstairs without a LAN connection in sight. I'm still living here in the nest, and I think we are overdue for a wireless upgrade anyhow. I guess this question kinda has two parts; 1) what's a nice router in terms of speed but also signal strength and reliability? Should I get one of those fancy simultaneous dual-band routers (we'll definitely need to keep the 'ol 2.4 GHz broadcasting for the older devices) so I can hog the 5GHz band? Please nothing too far over ~$120 for this. 2) What should I have on the other end? A wireless card, Access Point, ect. (this is where I really need the most help). I need something that won't bottleneck the speed but also keeps my connection stable (and also under $100).

        Thanks in advance!!!
        I'll be able to help more with the first question rather than the second, so I'll leave the other to someone else.

        For your graphics card choice I would go a few routes at a $450-500 budget with Nvidia in mind:

        1. 2x 560's > 1x 580

        2. 2x 570's(used) > 2x 560's > 1x 580

        3. 1x 580

        Now, with that said I would either choose EVGA or MSI. EVGA has a lifetime warranty on some of their cards(AR model I believe they are) and if they crap out on you 5 years down the road, they will replace it with a newer model without hassle(i.e 580 craps out when 800 series is out, you may get a 850/860). Although, remember to register the card on EVGA's site within the time period required. Second, MSI's twin frozer series is one of the best, coolest, and overclockable dual slot cards that you can purchase. So it really depends on your preference.

        Now with choosing what option I listed above. For me personally, I chose the single 580. Why did I do this you may ask? Because I plan on nabbing another 580 on the cheap when the 600 series comes out then sell them both for the 700 series. If you have noticed a trend lately, sorta like Intel... they seem to run on a "tick/tock" system(i.e the 500 series was leaps and bounds better than the 400 series in all areas). So again, it's really what performance you want now, and what you'll want in the future.

        ______

        As for the wireless, I will make one note. If you live above your modem, etc... then I would recommend drilling a hole and buying a long line of Cat5e/6 cable from monoprice and running it to it. It will only cost you a few bucks and it will give you the best performance throughout. Now if you NEED wireless, then again, I know of others that can steer you in a better direction.
        A.E.K.Δ.B.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Two Questions...

          Originally posted by Fox_J21 View Post
          Is your $450-500 budget JUST the graphics card? Or the GPU plus the other components?
          It's just for the graphics card(s).

          Originally posted by Kappa View Post
          Now, with that said I would either choose EVGA or MSI. EVGA has a lifetime warranty on some of their cards(AR model I believe they are) and if they crap out on you 5 years down the road, they will replace it with a newer model without hassle(i.e 580 craps out when 800 series is out, you may get a 850/860). Although, remember to register the card on EVGA's site within the time period required. Second, MSI's twin frozer series is one of the best, coolest, and overclockable dual slot cards that you can purchase. So it really depends on your preference.

          Now with choosing what option I listed above. For me personally, I chose the single 580. Why did I do this you may ask? Because I plan on nabbing another 580 on the cheap when the 600 series comes out then sell them both for the 700 series. If you have noticed a trend lately, sorta like Intel... they seem to run on a "tick/tock" system(i.e the 500 series was leaps and bounds better than the 400 series in all areas). So again, it's really what performance you want now, and what you'll want in the future.
          I'm looking more for stability than for overclocking options, so I'll probably look for the lifetime warranty cards. I never knew EVGA had a lifetime on their card, good to know...

          Originally posted by Kappa View Post
          As for the wireless, I will make one note. If you live above your modem, etc... then I would recommend drilling a hole and buying a long line of Cat5e/6 cable from monoprice and running it to it. It will only cost you a few bucks and it will give you the best performance throughout. Now if you NEED wireless, then again, I know of others that can steer you in a better direction.
          I should have put this in my first post, but my desk is 2 walls/three rooms away from the modem, and one floor up. So, as much as I had hoped to get a LAN connection, it' doesn't look like that's going to happen. If anyone knows of a good way to get a wired connection up there without a humungous cable and lots of holes, please let me know. Otherwise, I think I'm going to have to resort to wireless.


          Back to graphics cards, I'd like to get 1 or 2 cards that will run BF3 fairly well and stick with them for a while (not upgrading every time Nvidia puts out a new card). I'm still very much on the fence between two 560's and one 580. What's the difference between a 560 Ti and just a 560? Also, where should I be looking to buy cards (I haven't really been looking around anywhere but Newegg thus far).

          Thanks for all the help.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Two Questions...

            Just watch power consumption on whatever you do... Buy the BEST power supply you can afford.. I would say that investment will pay off more than a Video card in the long run..
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
            ..now where did I put my keys?

            Comment

            Connect

            Collapse

            TeamSpeak 3 Server

            Collapse

            Advertisement

            Collapse

            Twitter Feed

            Collapse

            Working...
            X