Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU Question for Video Cards

Hello TG,

I haven't been on here since my BF2 days. I visited shortly during BC2 release but the gameplay being different so was TG games on their servers. Aside from there, I am here asking for PSU help as I will be building a new rig to replace my 2-3 year old one. I have a Thermaltake 700w PSU. I plan to upgrade from a XFX 260GTX to a EVGA 570 GTX. Looking up at the amps needed on the 12v rails it requires 38 amps. The current card I have requires 34 or 36 amps. However my PSU has four 12v rails each with 18amps for a combined total of 56 amps. I read that Single Rail are better than Multi Rail because of the efficiency. i.e. if my GPU needs lets say 12amps from a 18amp rail. The other 6 do not get distributed to the other rails.

Do you think my current PSU can handle the new card for a few months. I plan to buy parts over time than save up the lump sum of money needed for the new build. ( I am terrible at saving up money without spending it on something else).

Thanks

Re: PSU Question for Video Cards

Originally posted by Visser View Post
    Hello TG,

I haven't been on here since my BF2 days. I visited shortly during BC2 release but the gameplay being different so was TG games on their servers. Aside from there, I am here asking for PSU help as I will be building a new rig to replace my 2-3 year old one. I have a Thermaltake 700w PSU. I plan to upgrade from a XFX 260GTX to a EVGA 570 GTX. Looking up at the amps needed on the 12v rails it requires 38 amps. The current card I have requires 34 or 36 amps. However my PSU has four 12v rails each with 18amps for a combined total of 56 amps. I read that Single Rail are better than Multi Rail because of the efficiency. i.e. if my GPU needs lets say 12amps from a 18amp rail. The other 6 do not get distributed to the other rails.

Do you think my current PSU can handle the new card for a few months. I plan to buy parts over time than save up the lump sum of money needed for the new build. ( I am terrible at saving up money without spending it on something else).

Thanks
    Single rails were better a few years back, mainly due to the fact that it could deliver more sustained amps through the rails. Now, it really doesn't matter and some more "experts" would argue that multi-rails are actually better than single now since the technology has improved on them. With that said, your PSU will handle just fine with the amount of amps it will be providing over the four rails to your gpu. To be honest, unless you are going for SLI, I wouldn't worry about upgrading that PSU until it can't keep up with your hardware. If you do decide to upgrade though, Seasonic is the standard for PSUs. Corsair, and a few others models are built with mostly Seasonic internals.

Go here for more information about Single Rail vs. Multi - Single Rail vs. Multi Explained
    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
    X