Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oyé Oyé! Getting ready for Arma 2: PR (new rig)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oyé Oyé! Getting ready for Arma 2: PR (new rig)

Hello people, as of many of users, I feel like I wanna share my concerns on the new rig I wish to purchase. I've read around and the only key part I'm missing would be the motherboard. I've always had Intel which were always great to me, but many are saying Asus is the way to go. So anyways, this is what I had in mind;

Case: Antec three hundred atx (will it fit the Sapphire Hd6970?) (btw i hate lightning cases)

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX750

Mobo: Gnahh Asus....

CPU: Intel i5 2500k (No need for 2600k, only gaming machine(I think))

Memory: G Skill something... (any help)

GPU: Sapphire HD6970

SDD: Corsair Force 3 120Gb

HDD: Western Dig 2TB caviar green

So what are your suggestions for mobo and ram, and is the rest okay?!

Thank you for your expertise!

DanKicker

Re: Oyé Oyé! Getting ready for Arma 2: PR (new rig)

Originally posted by DanKicker View Post
    Hello people, as of many of users, I feel like I wanna share my concerns on the new rig I wish to purchase. I've read around and the only key part I'm missing would be the motherboard. I've always had Intel which were always great to me, but many are saying Asus is the way to go. So anyways, this is what I had in mind;

Case: Antec three hundred atx (will it fit the Sapphire Hd6970?) (btw i hate lightning cases)

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX750

Mobo: Gnahh Asus....

CPU: Intel i5 2500k (No need for 2600k, only gaming machine(I think))

Memory: G Skill something... (any help)

GPU: Sapphire HD6970

SDD: Corsair Force 3 120Gb

So what are your suggestions for mobo and ram, and is the rest okay?!

Thank you for your expertise!

DanKicker
    Case: You are really cutting it close with that case. Product dimensions show that the Sapphire HD6970 is ~11 Inches and will be cutting close to the allowed dimensions for the Antec 300. Even though it will be close, I believe it should still be able to fit.

PSU: Get a MODULAR power supply. Especially if you're going to be cramming everything into that Antec 300. Seasonic, Corsair are both great brands... with Seasonic coming slightly into the lead. Also, you do not need a 750w PSU. Unless you plan on grabbing another 6970 in the future, then possibly. But I would go with a lower watt unit with modular cables and a higher efficiency. Quality power supplies don't lose a whole lot of value... so if you decide to get another graphics card to run crossfire then you can sell it for a higher watt unit.

Mobo: ASUS is most likely one of the best choices for the P67 chipset(1155 socket). The P8P67/Pro, any one of them at the price range are great boards.

CPU: The 2500k is a great processor, not much to add here.

SSD: Not sure how the sandforce controller is looking at the moment on those drives, but they have been doing rather bad and have not shown a good track history lately. I would go with the Crucial M4 128GB instead. It doesn't use the sandforce controller, and in real world tests, is actually just as fast with those with the sandforce controller... except the M4 won't give you all the hassle.

HDD: Unless you are going to be using your SSD for all of your games, the WD green drive is purely a storage drive and shows extremely slow read/write speeds... so you may want a faster drive. I've suggested this to many others here, but I would go with 2x F3 1TB Samsung drives and throw them into raid 0 if you wish. This option will cost you slightly more, but I guarantee it will worth the extra ~$15-20.

CPU Cooler: Grab a CM 212 plus, they are cheap and are much better than the stock Intel heatsinks. One of the best investments you can make is what is cooling your processor. You can also within temps get the 2500k to about 4.6Ghz through overclocking with that heatsink I suggested. If you want anything higher I would suggest the Noctua D14/Thermalright Silver Arrow.
    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

What about the ram? Latency and the 9-9-9-24 #s?

Comment

Originally posted by DanKicker View Post
        What about the ram? Latency and the 9-9-9-24 #s?
        I would just go with a 1600MHz set. CAS latency from 8/9 you're really not going to see much of a real world difference. I know you can sometimes grab the Gskill 2x4GB 1600MHz CAS 8/9 set on newegg on sale for ~$40-50 sometimes.
        A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Just look for good deals on DDR3 1600 or 1333 MHz ram. CAS latency and memory timings will probably be 9-9-9-24. These days the CAS latency difference of 8 vs. 9 doesn't really matter and the speed doesn't matter much either. You would never notice the difference while playing a game.
          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Ok, noted.

What about the case then, i want something not too expensive, with a good air flow and enough space. I thought maybe of the Corsair Carbide 400R. Is it big enough? It has good reviews though

Comment

I have an Antec 300 case and a Sapphire HD6970. It does fit, but only just (there is about half an inch clearance). I also have a standard power supply, but would definitely recommend a modular one for this case.

Comment

I disagree that the speed is "extremely slow". It's not as quick as a typical 7,200 RPM drive. You'll see roughly 45 MB/s write speeds. Compared to a older 7,200 RPM drive, like my Seagate 7200.10, the current "green" drives are faster (my 3 year old drive only puts out about 40 MB/s write) and offer more cache (32-64 MB vs. 8-16 MB).

Yes, it is primarily used as a storage or media drive. If you're going for a primary/applications hard drive, a WD Black would be a better choice. If you're using it as a storage/media drive, keep it as is.

Before you jump in and do a RAID 0, consider that if one of the drives fail, you lose all of your data. Since you are getting a SSD, I'd get a bigger SSD (at least 80 GBs) and put your most used applications and games on there (also Windows).

Another alternative to the SSD would be a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid hard drive. It offers the benefits of NAND memory over repeated use, offers better price-to-space ratio (more storage for less than money), and typically cost much less than a SSD would. They also might last longer.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well thanks all of you guys for the info. The order was made with some changes. I chose a different ram than G Skill because it wasn't available where I order (went for Corsair instead). Changed the case since I changed my mind about the 300 for the corsair Carbide 400R (but not available before sept 14th), so I went for Antec 902 (currently I have 900, so no big change). Still getting SSD but with OCZ instead Corsair (changed mind for crucial m4 afterwords). And getting caviar black instead green (for price difference, no need to get the green). Oh, also getting the Corsair HX750 for modular and better consistant wattage.

Should be getting it by the end of the week, I'll post some ownage from PR:arma 2 :P.

Thanks again!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X