AMD vs Intel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD vs Intel

Hi guys, I've been reading a bunch of the threads about all the new comp builds and I gotta say I'm jealous enough now to want a new one too now. I am having a hard time deciding between AMD and Intel chips though. I've always built with AMD, or at least since 2000, but with life catching up with me I haven't had the time to stay on top of the tech side of things right now. I was hoping for some education! Even if that is just some links to articles that you think are reliable.
    I will be using this build for gaming with the possibility doing some video editing for gameplay footage.

Any help is appreciated!
    sigpic

Re: AMD vs Intel

Originally posted by hil3illy View Post
    Hi guys, I've been reading a bunch of the threads about all the new comp builds and I gotta say I'm jealous enough now to want a new one too now. I am having a hard time deciding between AMD and Intel chips though. I've always built with AMD, or at least since 2000, but with life catching up with me I haven't had the time to stay on top of the tech side of things right now. I was hoping for some education! Even if that is just some links to articles that you think are reliable.
    I will be using this build for gaming with the possibility doing some video editing for gameplay footage.

Any help is appreciated!

Intel:

Well, right now it's rather easy. Intel's Sandybridge that runs on the 1155 socket(32nm die) are the processors to get... especially the 2500k or the 2600k depending on what you'll be doing. The 2500k is a quad core without hyperthreading that can be overclocked to 5.0Ghz(on air) and sometimes higher depending on the individual processor and cooling. The 2600k which normally runs ~$100 more is a quad core with hyperthreading and runs 4 physical cores, and 4 virtual cores... so essentially if an application can utilize more than 4 cores it will also use the 2600k's 4 virtual cores. Furthermore, the 2600k can also be overclocked as high as the 2500k depending on the individual processor, but the hyperthreading involved with the 2600k creates more heat for the chip so you may run into heat problems further up you go. You can turn hyperthreading off on the 2600k processor, but that defeats the purpose of buying the 2600k.

Additionally, Intel has plans to release Ivybridge on the 1155 and 2011 socket(22 nm die) in the future. Ivy Bridge will be running on it's new tri-gate transistor technology, which will significantly reduce power consumption. This allows up to ~37% higher speed, and a power consumption at under ~50% of the previous type of transistors used by Intel.

Roadmap -

AMD:

AMD has been lagging behind, especially since the release of Sandybridge and the lack of knowledge of their upcoming Bulldozer processors(32nm die/AM3+ socket). Some rumors say that the 8 core Bulldozer processors will be slightly better than the 2600k for roughly the same price point... but there has been no actual proof to support it's performance. I wish I could say more for AMD as I have owned just as many AMD processors as I have Intel in the past, but if you were to invest and build a computer right now there is no reason not to go Intel and their Sandybridge processors.

Roadmap-
    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

If you were going to buy this month then there's no question you should be looking at Intel. $200 to $300 is the sweet spot for performance/price which will get you basically the fastest current processor (Core i5 2500k or Core i7 2600k). For all but an extremely select few, I would recommend the 2500k over the 2600k.

If you're planning to buy a couple months down the road, it wouldn't hurt to see what AMD's Bulldozer is capable of when it releases. Rumors are that it is as fast as Sandy Bridge although that remains to be proven officially. Their current lineup of Phenom II X4 and X6's don't compare well to Intel Sandy Bridge.
      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Well, as pointed out, its pretty much 50/50. Both make very solid chips.

Now, for my take (which could be way off, I will let the member with more experience correct me on this.) Right now, Intel make the better high end chips. It is tough to get better than the current sandy bridge chips. However Intels issue over the past, well almost forever has been socket life span. It pretty much seems like you buy the chip, and next week they are already releasing the next socket, making it so that to upgrade your going to need a new motherboard as well.

AMD on the other hand, I find makes the better, lower end chips. With them, you can get a solid, lower budget chip, just without the performance of the high end Intel ones. But AMD has been big on support and lifespan of the socket. Most of there sockets are supported for a VERY long time, so when it comes time to upgrading, you just need the chip (and any other parts you want to change,) your motherboard is still fine.

So, in the end, it comes down to do you want a chip which should last you a while, and never really be that worried about updating it, but spending more money for it? Or do you want one that is a bit cheaper, but a bit less performance, but easy to upgrade.

For me, got the i7 when it first came out, and have been very happy with it, and it still holds it own at everything it does, with no signs of backing down.

I might be way off base on that though, just basically what i notice checking every few months.

Comment

The current situation on socket lifespan is somewhat of a tie:

[AM3+] for AMD allows use of older [AM3] CPUs as well as supposed support for the upcoming "Bulldozer" CPU.

[1155] for intel allows use of the current generation CPUs and is rumored to have some newer sandybridge-e CPUs that will be released for it

My plan was to wait and see what AMD's new offering will bring but time is getting short now.
          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
            The current situation on socket lifespan is somewhat of a tie:

[AM3+] for AMD allows use of older [AM3] CPUs as well as supposed support for the upcoming "Bulldozer" CPU.

[1155] for intel allows use of the current generation CPUs and is rumored to have some newer sandybridge-e CPUs that will be released for it

My plan was to wait and see what AMD's new offering will bring but time is getting short now.
            This part I believe is not fully correct. The Sandybridge-E will be released for the 2011 socket and will be at an extremely high price from what has been leaking recently. Ivy Bridge on the other hand will be using both the 1155/2011 socket.
            A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

rumors are rumors

Good correction on Ivy bridge on 6x series with support from motherboard manufacturer.
              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Definitely giving me something to think about. I was hoping to get the build finished in the next few weeks so I can put it through its paces and make sure it is running stable for when BF3 comes out.
                With that being said I guess I'll do some more reading and see which GPU will go well in my budget and with the Intel chip I'm now leaning towards!
                sigpic

Comment

Both AMD and nVidia have some good offerings. However, at the high-end (the top 2 of each side), nVidia holds the crown. (I know this would normally be where I tout the 6990, but now that's it off the market, due to the few that AMD only produced, the 6970 can't quite beat the GTX580 in many games.)

Given that though, if you consider the price, AMD basically takes the ball. A HD6970 goes for ~$350 and offers roughly 85% of the performance of the GTX580. Whereas, the GTX580 goes for ~$500 and performs about 15% better than the HD6970 in most popular games. At 70% of the price of a GTX580, the 6970 offers 85% of the performance. That's pretty darn good considering the savings and the performance of the 6970.

If you have the money to throw at the GTX580, go for it. If you wanna try out a AMD graphics card, the 6970 is a great bet (or the cheaper 6950).
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

the 2500k, beside for gaming, would it be good for some home video editing, watching movies, and picture editing?(2-3 programs for editing)

Comment

2 questions OP-

What is your budget?
                      What are you going to be using the computer for?

We can be
                      more helpful this way!
                      -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

Originally posted by glycerin View Post
                        2 questions OP-

What is your budget?
                        What are you going to be using the computer for?

We can be
                        more helpful this way!
                        Well budget was going to be whatever it takes to make a sic rig! But RL has stepped in (owning your own house is expensive!!) and I think that I might have to string this out a little bit longer than I'd like. I will be able to put enough out for a new mb & cpu w/ ram. I'm willing to spend what ever I need to on that.
                        I will be using this mostly for gaming, I have my laptop's and another desktop for doing everything else.

I am going to recycle my current case I bought it to last me for years, it rocks. I will also be reusing this PSU it is a couple of years old and will need to be replaced if I want to do SLI, it should handle everything else at this point. I will probably put out for a new HD for the operating system though, I haven't made up mind on a ssd or not though. Unfortunately I am going to to have to stick with my current GPU which is a GTX 260. I am hoping that some more revenue will come in and I can upgrade that sooner rather than later.

Thanks Acreo on the GPU suggestions though, I will be keeping my eye on prices and hopefully something will come on sale!

Again I appreciate all the help you guys are giving me.
                        sigpic

Comment

The case and PSU looks good to me.

If you are wanting to save money then you need to pick up a 2500k, a z68 based motherboard from your favorite manufacturer (i suggest Asrock, Gigabyte or ASUS.) and 8GB of DDR3 1600.

VIA NEWEGG.com (use the item number to look it up)

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
                          Item #: N82E16819115072
                          $219.99

ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
                          Item #: N82E16813157264
                          -$10.00 Instant
                          $10.00 Mail-in Rebate
                          $199.99
                          $189.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
                          Item #: N82E16820231314
                          $54.99

Subtotal: $464.97

This should last you a very long time and you can SLI/CF whatever GFX card you decide to get in the future. I would suggest a AMD 6950. 2GB if you can swing it; it'll be alot better with more RAM in a few years.
                          -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

ASRock is crap. It's ASUS's budget brand and it shows.

Gigabyte, an actual ASUS brand mobo, or MSI are the way to go. I've heard okay things about Biostar but I don't have personal experience with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
                              ASRock is crap. It's ASUS's budget brand and it shows.

Gigabyte, an actual ASUS brand mobo, or MSI are the way to go. I've heard okay things about Biostar but I don't have personal experience with them.
                              Actually asrock is a very good brand, they give you alot more options per dollar than many manufacturers and i have had zero issues with any of there boards take them over msi any day of the week.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk
                              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X