Upgrades?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrades?

With my aging Q6600 setup looking like it's not going to cut it for BF3, it looks like I'm going to have to go through with my long stalled upgrade plans. I've been out of the hardware game for awhile so I'm not really up to speed with the best stuff out there aside from Intel's Sandybridge cores. So I need some suggestions.

I'm looking to replace:
    CPU
    Mobo
    RAM

Everything else in my current system will be carried over. I guess my total budget will be about $500. I might go a bit more but will have to space the purchases out even further.

Now time for a block of questions!

Is the Intel Sandybridge still the high mark when it comes to processors?
    Anything on the near horizon for Intel that I should be aware of?
    I was looking at the Intel Core i7-2600K. Is there any difference aside from the video chipset from the Intel Core i7-2600?
    Since I will be using a dedicated video card will I even see any benefit from using the Intel Core i7-2600K over the non K model?

So, cry havoc and let slip the torrent of advice!

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Re: Upgrades?

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
    With my aging Q6600 setup looking like it's not going to cut it for BF3, it looks like I'm going to have to go through with my long stalled upgrade plans. I've been out of the hardware game for awhile so I'm not really up to speed with the best stuff out there aside from Intel's Sandybridge cores. So I need some suggestions.

I'm looking to replace:
    CPU
    Mobo
    RAM

Everything else in my current system will be carried over. I guess my total budget will be about $500. I might go a bit more but will have to space the purchases out even further.

Now time for a block of questions!

Is the Intel Sandybridge still the high mark when it comes to processors?
    Anything on the near horizon for Intel that I should be aware of?
    I was looking at the Intel Core i7-2600K. Is there any difference aside from the video chipset from the Intel Core i7-2600?
    Since I will be using a dedicated video card will I even see any benefit from using the Intel Core i7-2600K over the non K model?

So, cry havoc and let slip the torrent of advice!
    Intel's Sandybridge is currently the "high mark" at the moment for desktop processors. Furthermore, there is not anything in the near future that will be released for Intel and the stuff that is I highly doubt will apply to you. Sandybridge-E on the 2011 looks like will be the "extreme" version of Intel's processor line... so you're looking at $500+ for an overclocking Sandybridge-E processor.... so again, something that doesn't really apply to 99% of people as people normally just overclock their processors. In addition, you will be seeing Ivy Bridge in about a year... Ivy Bridge will be running on the 1155 socket(current Sandybridge socket) and the 2011(future SB-E socket mentioned earlier). So if you go Sandybridge, you'll atleast have a socket that will last through Ivy Bridge. Now for the difference between the "K" version and the "non-K" version of Intel's processors. The "K" version means that the processors multiplier is unlocked... therefore, you can overclock the processor easily past stock. Where-as, the "non-K" processor will have a locked multiplier and will be very difficult to gain any substantial overclock. I would invest in the "K" version as it's just a extra few dollars to do so and overclocking your processor up to 4.6-4.8Ghz+ easily makes a world of difference.

What you'll be replacing and my suggestions:

CPU: Since you are talking about gaming and not video encoding, or other multi-threaded tasks then get the Intel 2500k. It will save you ~$100 and you can put it towards something else. I personally own the 2600k and between the two processors does not make a difference. The only difference a 2600k processor would make would be in multithreaded applications since the 2600k has 4 physical cores, and 4 virtual cores where-as the 2500k only has 4 physical cores.

MOBO: Grab an ASUS Pro, or any of the other ASUS boards around that price-point. All of the ASUS boards since the start of the P67(Sandybridge) chipset have been superior boards with a mature BIOS.

RAM: This is the easy part as RAM is cheap as dirt compared to a couple years back. Look for deals, you'll be able to snag a Gskill 1600Mhz 2x4GB CAS 8/9 set for ~$50 if you keep looking for the deals on Newegg, etc.

So total budget $500:

CPU: 2500k ~$220
    MOBO: ASUS ~$150
    RAM: 2x4GB set ~$50

Total: ~$420

This is assuming you buy all new products, you could grab a 2500k used pretty easily and that will also save you some cash. If you currently have a good graphics card then I would try to grab an M4 64GB Solid State Drive, or if you do not save up some more cash and grab a new video card.
    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Are you overclocking the Q6600 already? If not, you might want to consider trying that before upgrading.
      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
        Are you overclocking the Q6600 already? If not, you might want to consider trying that before upgrading.
        I'm not. I was planing on it but never got around to it. I have the B3 stepping of the chip which isn't as friendly temp wise as later steppings. Now that I look at the hardware specs for BF3, I might not need to upgrade for that. I'm kinda torn. I want more RAM in my system but I've already got all the slots filled and it seems like a wasted to buy pricey (more than DDR3) DDR2 RAM. So more RAM means a new Mobo, which means a new CPU.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Yea, I definitely would not recommend buying more DDR2 ram. You won't be pushing those crazy 3.6GHz overclocks that the G0 stepping could get, but I'm pretty sure you could push for 3.0GHz on the B3 stepping. In my opinion, it's worth trying since the CPU is late in it's life and you're ready to buy a new cpu/motherboard anyways.

Otherwise, Kappa's recommendations are spot on. If you buy, just get a Core i5 2500k, Asus Z68 or P67 based motherboard and 8GB DDR3 memory.
          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X