RAM - add to or replace?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM - add to or replace?

With BF3 on the horizon I'm considering doubling my RAM from 4GB to 8GB to ensure optimal performance from my i5-750 based machine. I currently have 2x2GB Corsair Dominator modules. Would I be better off adding two more 2GB modules or ditching those for a completely new tested set of 2x4GB or 4x2GB? I can likely get the same model RAM off Ebay, but they will be a separately tested set.

Everything I've read says it's hit or miss mixing sets, but I thought I'd survey the group here.
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: RAM - add to or replace?

With how dirt cheap memory is at the moment go get a new 2x4GB(8GB) set and sell off the set you currently have to cover some of the cost. You'll be able to get a good 8GB DDR3 set for ~$50 or less and there is no reason not to do it with how cheap this stuff is currently.
    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

It's not safe to assume so I'm going to ask: You are running a 64bit OS, correct? (Sorry for asking such a stupid question but it has to be done.)

::

Now then...

Fewer large modules are faster* than many small modules. However, those fewer large modules are usually more expensive than the many small modules. The main difference comes in that with the 2x4GB, you still have space for future upgrades** while the 4x2GB will necessitate a new set of sticks to do so. Personally, I prefer to go for fewer large modules due to the reduction in potential problems associated with multiple sticks of RAM, though honestly, it's not that big a deal anymore.

Mixing RAM modules tends to be more headache than it's worth and has more to do with an individual motherboard and its memory controller than any general characteristic I could give you. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really looking to stretch your dollars...and it's a gamble that I still wouldn't say is worth taking. You can usually get it to work but honestly, mucking around the BIOS/UEFI and having to fight with timings and latency and voltages to get mixed sets working isn't worth the $25 you might save.

* "Faster" in absolute technical terms--the effect is largely negligible in real-world application.
      ** Unless you're doing some actual memory-intensive work on your machine, expecting to upgrade a current machine to 16GB of RAM as a necessity for gaming is a pipe dream--by the time it's necessary, the other components in any current machine will be hopelessly outdated when the "need" arises.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
        It's not safe to assume so I'm going to ask: You are running a 64bit OS, correct? (Sorry for asking such a stupid question but it has to be done.)
        Not a stupid question...I'm running 64-bit Win7.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll sell my RAM and get 8GB new unless someone talks me out of it.
        |TG|Melee

Comment

If it's DDR3, go ahead. Sell or reuse the old RAM. If it's DDR2, not worth worth it.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Corsair Dominator DDR3
            |TG|Melee

Comment

DDR3, go ahead. RAM is cheap now @ ~$40 per 4 GBs (2x2). Not much more of an increase going to 8 GBs (2x4), ~$85.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                DDR3, go ahead. RAM is cheap now @ ~$40 per 4 GBs (2x2). Not much more of an increase going to 8 GBs (2x4), ~$85.
                99% of the time I can find atleast one deal going on every other day that I could grab a 2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3 set for ~$50 or less. These are brands like Gskill, Patriot, and Corsair as well... and some 2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Patriots went on shellshocker for $29.99 today.
                Last edited by Kappa; 09-03-2011, 02:25 AM.
                A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Originally posted by Kappa View Post
                  99% of the time I can find atleast one deal going on every other day that I could grab a 2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3 set for ~$50 or less. These are brands like Gskill, Patriot, and Corsair as well... and some 2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Patriots went on shellshocker for $29.99 today.
                  There, go for that. $50 for 8 GBs is a great deal. If there's a rebate, just cross your fingers and hope you get it.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X