Greatest Video Cards of All Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Video Cards of All Time

Feeling a bit nostalgic :) http://www.tomshardware.com/pictures...n-geforce.html

Remember paying $250 for the Diamond Monster 3DII... ouch. Also see a lot of others I had along the way GeForce4, Radeon 9800, XT1950, HD3870, etc...

Re: Greatest Video Cards of All Time

I've had a nvidia 5200 FX, Nvidia 7600 Gt, nvidia 8400 GS, ati 2600 XT, and I still have my outdated ati 3870 :c Looking forward to my upgrade this year for BF3 though :D

Comment

Nice to see the Nvidia 7800 (my first graphics card!) and the 9800 GX2 (my second) getting a mention. Not much nostalgia here though, as that was only five or six years ago!
      Just upgraded from a GTX 285 to a GTX 570 ready for going away to uni (and, of course, BF3).
      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
      Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Geez, let's see, TNT 2 Ultra, GeForce 2 something, GeForce 4 something, Geforce 5200, 7600, 9600, hmm, Radeon HD 4850?

I remember the cards in the list being hot stuff for their day though :icon_lol:

Comment

LOL yeah, it's a little depressing to think how much cash we've spent on them...

Comment

I have/had:
            - TNT (successor to 128, but couldn't compete with the Voodoo 2, in a shoebox with the Voodoo 2)
            - Voodoo 2 (kind of useless now, still haven't thrown it away)
            - GeForce 3 Ti (was pretty much all the craze back then)
            - Radeon 9600XT (I still feel this card was better than the 9700 Pro)
            - GeForce 7800GT (younger brother to the GTX, still in use in the rig behind me)
            - GeForce 8800GT (younger sibling to the GTX, now dead) --- I'm actually surprised the 8800GT isn't on there given it's immense popularity

Of all those cards, I absolutely hated my TNT especially after I found out how gimped it was given the reduced core clock and overheating issues. I had found memories of my 9600XT (couldn't afford the 9800 Pro at the time) and my last card, the 8800GT. Didn't get to use much of the Voodoo 2 since I had a limited games collection back then and by the time I had the money, better cards were out.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Nvidia Geforce 6600 with its silent pipeline cooling system.... i STILL have 2 of thos AGP 6600's in my parts closet. lol along with there MoBos, ram and PSU processors... damn... why do I keep those things around?

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

Cause in 20 years they will be collectors items. I think there's even a guy in the states that buys used computer parts for his museum :)
                sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                Former ARMA Admin
                Former ARMA TGU instructor
                Former TGU Headmaster
                Current Noob
                Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                  LOL yeah, it's a little depressing to think how much cash we've spent on them...
                  There are a lot of things like that. Looking through my Steam library and my shelf of games, or at my bookshelves, or at the boxes of Lego I still have... it's a vast amount when it's all summed up.

Totally worth it though. :)
                  |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                  Irregular since 2007.

Comment

loved my ati 9800 pro back in 1999.....paid $200.00 for it back then.....sigh
                    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Thought the 9800pro came out in 2002-2003?

Anyway my first card was the Geforce 4 MX 64mb PCI card it was terrible because how slow the PCI bus was. It was a newer computer at the time, but did not offer AGP, lol.

After that I had Geforce FX 5600 256mb card and was awful. Had a 6600 vanilla, 8800Gts, 8800Gt, ATI 5850, and now a GTX 470.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD View Post
                        Thought the 9800pro came out in 2002-2003?

Anyway my first card was the Geforce 4 MX 64mb PCI card it was terrible because how slow the PCI bus was. It was a newer computer at the time, but did not offer AGP, lol.
                        Yep, the 9800Pro was first introduced in 2002. Was a beast even back then.

I had a MX440SE. The card itself was severely gimped in that it only had 64-bit memory, core was weak, and didn't offer any hardware T&L gimping it in anything but software rendered games and apps.

The next step up, the MX420/440, wasn't all that better. Had 128-bit memory, a slightly faster core clock, but still lacked hardware T&L? (can't remember) even though it was noticeably faster than the 4 MX. In the end, the cards to buy in the GeForce 4 lineup were the Ti4xxx cards. The MX ones were simply a waste of money for any gamer.

Edit: Went back to my order history. Apparently I had what was later known as the MX440SE. SE model had 64-bit memory rather than the 128-bit the MX440 carried.
                        Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 09-02-2011, 02:33 PM.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

No Voodoo3? Screw that list.

Comment

I've owned quite a few cards on that list but my favorites were my 12MB VooDoo 2 (my first 3D graphics card) and the PowerColor GeForce 3 that I got for $50 right after it came out because a vendor sent my cousin the wrong part for a client's build. That thing overclocked like crazy.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
                              No Voodoo3? Screw that list.
                              Lol? What about the Voodoo 5 huh? They were pretty solid competitor cards to nVidia at the time.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X