Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GF Laptop

Hey people that know stuff I don't.

My girlfriend is buying a laptop and can't find the "best" one.

She wants to be able to use Microsoft word and Record/Mix music on it and... yeah that's it.

I've never been in the Laptop swamp myself so I don't know what brand we should go for and then it comes to the music part, does it require much juice?

The recording will be pretty serious since she does it to listen and learn what to improve and she sends it to the studio for them to listen to and give opinions since the studio is 4 hours away. Therefore I'm not sure I just want to take the first one we find and then find out we need a better soundcard or CPU.
    Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Re: GF Laptop

Whenever my wife wants a new computer, she gets the one I am currently using and I get a new computer. Things in the marriage seem to work much better with this setup.

FYI pretty much any laptop would do, the more processing power the better if she is doing a lot of software mixing. I suggest getting a usb mixer if she is recording live music from multiple sources at once. They can be had for less than 100.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'm not an apple fanboy at all but a MacBook would be the best option. My brother is a DJ and the software that apple makes for music mixing is amazing and simple to use. Only problem is a brand new one is hectic expensive. Shop around. If you don't like apple then A good processor on a pc is what you need for mixing.
      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
      Former ARMA Admin
      Former ARMA TGU instructor
      Former TGU Headmaster
      Current Noob
      Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Whats your/her budget? gimme that and ill try to find a nice one for her mixing needs. I also mix so I know how the mixing software treats a laptop.

Comment

If she's doing some "serious" recording/mixing/authoring, lots of RAM and hard drive space is a must. So typically look for laptops with at least 8 GBs of RAM and 500 GBs or more of hard drive space.

Especially mixing and authoring, they will eat up RAM and storage space.

Ideally, you'd want a desktop given easier customization of parts, more power, lower costs, etc.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Working on computer repair, I'd have to say Toshiba seems a bit above the rest. They tend to have less big failures, like bad mobos. And lately they've been smart about their power jack design, in case you break the jack it's not too hard to fix it without soldering your mobo.

So I vote for Toshiba.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic
            "But in contemplating history as the slaughter-bench at which the happiness of peoples, the wisdom
            of states, and the virtue of individuals have been sacrificed, a question necessarily arises:
            To what principle, to what final purpose, have these monstrous sacrifices been offered?"
            - G.W.F. Hegel Reason in History

Comment

Asus has the best 3 year reliability ratings follows closely by Toshiba.
              sigpic

Comment

The only issue I would have with ASUS -- or drawback -- is that since they're more rare, it may be slightly harder to find replacement parts if something breaks that is specific to the unit.

Other than that, they're not bad.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic
                "But in contemplating history as the slaughter-bench at which the happiness of peoples, the wisdom
                of states, and the virtue of individuals have been sacrificed, a question necessarily arises:
                To what principle, to what final purpose, have these monstrous sacrifices been offered?"
                - G.W.F. Hegel Reason in History

Comment

What sort of recording/mixing is she doing? Stereo tracks off a board or a single mic? Or, multi-tracking live bands? What software is she looking to use? Also, what is her budget?

If you can answer that, it will be much easier to pick one out.

Comment

Originally posted by Eudiphon View Post
                    is that since they're more rare
                    What? No.

Just because you cannot go to Best Buy and get the most basic computer parts doesn't mean a brand is rare. Going to Best Buy is like going to Target instead of Kohl's (or a more specific shop like a GAP or whatever) or Wal-Mart instead of Byerly's.

If you are in the Southwest or West Coast, Fry's Electronics are all over the place.
                    Microcenter is located sporadically throughout the country.
                    Heck, even my backwards-ass Minnesota home town with under 8,000 people has a local computer parts store.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X