No announcement yet.

JPEGmini downsizes images without sacrificing quality

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JPEGmini downsizes images without sacrificing quality

Had some time to kill at lunch today and one of the tech sites I can actually access through the firewall had a very interesting article about a program I haven't heard of:

Link: JPEGmini downsizes images without sacrificing quality

When you click through to the JPEGmini website, the main picture has a slider showing you it can shrink an image and it still look good. Well, at my high rez, I couldn't tell a difference at all, so I downloaded the full size, unzipped, and then clicked back and forth between the 2. Even full screen, I couldn't tell a difference on my monitor. The article does mention folks that do web work will find the program very useful.

Only downside I see is it looks to be web based instead of a downloadable program, and you can try it out easily, but to get unlimited you have to sign up for a free account. You can sign in with facebook and gmail, and opt out of their newsletter. I skimmed though the terms of service and didn't see anything unusual, so if anyone else catches anything, please post.

Pretty cool program though...................................

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: JPEGmini downsizes images without sacrificing quality

That is interesting. Looks to be a very efficient case-by-case compression algorithm for JPEGs. I zoomed in on the cruise liner ship test image in Photoshop and as far as I can tell, both images have the same level of detail but vastly difference filesizes. Interestingly, according to Windows, the larger file has a higher compression ration while the JPEGmini has a lower ration (1% vs. 2%).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed