Wireless ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless ?

I have a desktop which runs on wireless. My Mobo is a ASUS SABERTOOTH 990X. I am looking/needing to desperately upgrade my wireless card for it. Been looking around for some ideas but I honestly don't care for wireless but due to my current setup/situation it is the route I have to go/have been going for some time now. So is there a wireless card out there that would work well for gaming and in a Apartment complex setup.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Re: Wireless ?

Thought about this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...net-_-33156258

sigpic

Comment

Can you tell us a bit more about what the problem is with your current setup?
      * What kind of network is it?
      * Do you have a weak signal?
      * How's the ping to your router? Is the router yours? Or the apartment complex's?

Comment

Home network. It's my neighbor;s/managers. She lets us use her net. Its roughly 80ft away threw 2 apartments give or take 2 main walls + the rooms in between which is roughly additional 3-6 walls. Signal strength is low. Current wireless card is an old Lynksys with speed boost. the speed boost function says it is only compatible with XP and vista so not sure if it works with 7 or not. It's a PCI card. I'd say the card itself is at least 5 years old, give or take.

sigpic

Comment

Firstly, you need to find out what kind of wireless it is and make sure that the new card supports it. The newest wireless type is n. My guess is that you are using b or g. Find out about your wireless network type by going to control panel networks and clicking around a bit :) The type is going to be one of these letters: a,b,g, n

The product you listed above is expensive. It may not work on your network .

Your old card may be good enough if you can find drivers for win7. I would forget about speedboost. If you have to have a new adapter, this $20 usb one may do the trick: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704045

Unfortunately, if the router does not prioritize gaming data (which your managers is highly unlikely to - you need an expensive router for that), your game will lag when your neighbors are using the network :( regardless of what kind of adapter you buy.

You could always buy your manager a new dual band gaming router - just make sure it supports whatever network type is setup now so everyone else who uses it does not need a new adapter.

If you want to get into it, run some basic tests to see what kind of bandwidth and what kind of latency you get to your network now to see if there is room for improvement.
          * Here's how to ping your router: http://speedchecker.org/broadband_gu...o_ping_router/
          ** ping your router a lot by using the -t option (ping 192.168.1.1 -t) and make sure you have no packet loss
          ** ping your router when everyone else is using the network
          * Go here to test your bandwidth: http://www.speedtest.net/

Comment

Getting a better wireless card probably won't improve signal quality through 2 apartments worth of us stuff. There are probably plenty of dense objects the signal has to pass through, thus killing your SQ overall.

The other side is the power output of the router itself. If it's a typical consumer grade router, it's doubtful, it has a high power output (which helps with SQ over a distance).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

the apartment inbetween ours is currently epmty. My laptop in my living room which is farther away and threw 2 more walls than were my desktop will be gets full bars and runs at a 48Mbs connection speed. Where as the card I have in my desktop gets 2 bars = low at 11Mbs connection. At least that was on XP. For the short SHORT time with my old desktop when i put 7 on it the card was getting very good to good connection at 36Mbs~ I think.

Manufacturer: Linksys Inc.

Model : WRT54GS2

Wireless-G Broadband Router with Speed Boster (WRT54GS2)

• Complies with 802.11g and 802.11b (2.4GHz) standards
              • Supports Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ for simple, secure setup
              • All LAN ports support auto-crossover (MDI/MDI-X)
              • SpeedBooster technology increases wireless performance by up to 35%

sigpic

Comment

How does your laptop do when its next to the pc?

Comment

Well when I was running XP. I had to have the laptop in the same room so it would connect. When I put 7 on my old rig it it would connect without the need of the laptop and it would have double the signal strength.

sigpic

Comment

Ok the new rig is running. My wireless stregth is Fair ~ 2 bars and it floats between 24Mbs, 36Mbs, and 48Mbs.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Belander View Post
                      Well when I was running XP. I had to have the laptop in the same room so it would connect. When I put 7 on my old rig it it would connect without the need of the laptop and it would have double the signal strength.
                      I did not understand that at all. :)

Originally posted by Belander View Post
                      Ok the new rig is running. My wireless stregth is Fair ~ 2 bars and it floats between 24Mbs, 36Mbs, and 48Mbs.
                      Note that your gaming is going to be affected by your ping, not your bandwidth. It's movie watching and download type stuff that suffers from low bandwidth.

Did you just use the old wifi card? Are you good with the current setup?

Comment

I know you are trying to find a wireless solution, but I thought I would suggest this, just in case you didn't know how inexpensive it can be.

TRY, keyword try, going wired. It is very inexpensive. Here is a CAT6 cable, 100' length for $13.11 +shipping. Great cabling, I am using it right now. Fully backwards compatible.

It might be worth your trouble to have and try, just to see if you can make it work, even it you are running it outside the apartment through windows or whatever.

Hopefully this helps.

EDIT: shipping to Illinois is approx 7 bucks. see if there are other things you need on the site so you can save a little there too. HDMI cables are great.
                        -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

Ping is only one side, his signal quality is what is really important when it comes to wireless gaming. If he has poor signal quality, then low pings and high bandwidth will mean nothing if his packets/connection are being dropped willy-nilly.

I'd also suggest a long CAT-5 or CAT-6 cable rather than trying to do wireless.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Can't run a line. I would have to run it threw the attics of 2 apartments, or outside which is not allowed unless approved by our county fire marshal as this building is zoned as a commercial residential housing building or something like that.

sigpic

Comment

For b/g radios: The WRT54 series has 2 antennas. Lean the antennas away from each other at 90 degrees, not parallel. The idea is that each antenna provides coverage for clients at different angles. By setting them 90 degrees apart, they can handle just about every angle a client could be leaned at.

This logic doesn't apply with N, as it uses a different antenna philosophy. N antennas generally aren't adjustable.

You can also play with placement of the router, and use an external client antenna to get it above obstacles. But the latter is rarely worth the expense.

http://www.wirelessforums.org/alt-in...ence-2219.html
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X