AGP Frequency?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP Frequency?

What is it, mines set to 66 with a GeForce 6800, what would happen if i uped it? Would it increase my fps? Will anything happen if i put it up to high? Would my monitor be able to handel the change?

Dell Flat Panel Ultra Sharp 17" (DVI)
    Oyee

Re: AGP Frequency?

I am not sure exactly what it is but I know that moving that up is hardware overclocking. If you raise the number it should overclock you card. If you put it too high you may run into system stability issues and you might damage your card. However it is highly unlikely that you will damage your card because modern video cards monitor their own temp and if it gets too high they will lower clock speeds. If you wanna mess around with it I recommend you read the guide on overclocking a video card i posted. Also Viper remember (not too sure about CPU) but you can overclock your video card by software (using drivers or programs Omega drivers let you overclock) and by hardware which in this case is upping your AGP frequency.

BTW Viper I may be wrong so don't take my word for it but I will make sure for you the next time I reboot my comp.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Well, ive already overclocked it, thanks, your post helped, ive got RivaTuner, i found that that was better than coolbits, since it had more things to control.
      Oyee

Comment

The AGP bus frequency is 66. PCI is 33.

I believe a 8x AGP port runs at 8x66.

As with any overclocking, care must be taken. You risk damaging the videocard in this case. Also, The monitor should not be effected.
        Steam Community: | |

Comment

AGP frequency is set at a standard of 66. 8x AGP works as there are 8 pipes, hence 8 times the bandwidth. Increasing the clock speed will increase the throughput of the card (bu 8 times for 8 pipes), and will increase the performance of the card.

That said however if the bottleneck is not with the I/O of the card, but the GPU, video memory, or elsewhere, then you will get no performance. It'd be like putting go faster stripes on a bicycle to race an aston martin.

Increasing the clock speed of the bus shouldn't damage your card, but it may result in a crash due to an I/O problem / the busses not being able to handle that much data. Like pretty much any other component this can be worked around by increasing the voltage along that bus. However it is this increase in voltage that can really really fry your stuff quickly, or at least shorten it's workable lifespan.

Another point to consider is that you really want your AGP synched into your other clocks/busses. If you are running at 800FSB then it is lilkely your CPU has a clock of 200Mhz (with a multiplier), which is good synchronization.

Overall - probably not worth it if you have AGP 8x.

Comment

Ive got 10x200Mhz FSB (2000Mhz), A64 3200+ 939 at 2.0Ghz On a Gigabyte GA-K8NS nForce3 Ultra. The vid card is Geforce 6800 with 128mb DDR and the core speed is i belive 380ish with a mem clock at 820ish and i used rivaturner to open the card to 16 pipelines instead of teh 12 it had stock...
            Oyee

Comment

You also should be able to overclock that Athlon to 2.2. Think of it like paying for a 3200+ but getting a 3500+.
              RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
              TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
              "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
              "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

AGP and PCI express overclocking does nothing but destablize systems

sure in the old days of AGPx2 overclocking the AGP bus to 88 (88x2) did help alot, howver AGPx4 and x8 pushed the limits beond what gfx cards truely need ;)
                From Adam Webb

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X