how do u get it to work?
    detailed info would be nnice
    ty

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
    Delta MICS
    Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Re: Remote Desktop

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...moteintro.mspx

Slug, If you have a firewall or router running on your computer, you will need to open TCP Port 3389. Refer to your router or firewall manual for directions on that.

You will need to make sure there is a password associated with the accounts you want to use to login.

Hope this helps a bit!
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

A flaw in the software used to remotely access computers running Windows XP could leave users vulnerable to a denial of service attack.

The vulnerability does not allow attackers to gain control of Windows systems, but it could be used to cause affected computers to crash repeatedly. This would be done by creating specially crafted messages using the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP), which is used by Windows' Terminal Services and Remote Desktop Sharing features, according to Microsoft.

Microsoft is advising users to either block the port that uses RDP (port 3389) or to disable the remote access features that use them. Terminal Services is used by the Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003 operating systems. Remote Desktop Sharing is a feature of Windows XP.

Comment

This is true, however my 3389 port has been open since I've had windows xp (Since it came out), and have never had an issue.

Edwin, do you know if this flaw was taken care of in a recent windows update?
        birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

I don't think it was, but you're looking for trouble anytime you force open a port on a router/firewall to your PC. It's just a matter if somebody wants to do something about it. CHances are you won't have to worry about it, and if you start having DoS type problems, just close the port again.
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

[email protected] ftw.
            VNC servers are good.
            Google is your friend (google [email protected])

Comment

thx ofr ur help guys 1 question tho can i control my comp wen its on from my gfs comp?

Delta MICS

Comment

RDP supports true color and sound. I would recomend using RDP over VNC.

Slug, yes, you will be able to use your computer as if you were actualy sitting at it. Obviosly you can not game remotely, but other than that, there are little restictions.

Comment

The machine that you are remoting too also needs be running WinXP Pro or Server. The Home edition does not allow remote access, however you can remote from the Home edition.
                  |TG-12th| asch
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ImAWuss
                    RDP supports true color and sound. I would recomend using RDP over VNC.
                    I agree. I've used both at work and RDP is much better for me. It's seamless for the user.

Comment

thanx alot guys im gonna give it a try 2day wen i go to her house

Delta MICS

Comment

OK, so I need to set up remote access for my wife's PC at her shop. I'm leaning towards UltraVNC simply because it's the right price. I haven't checked, but I think she's running WinXP Home, so that means third party solution, right? Is there some other solution that I should be looking at?
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I use UltraVNC as well as RDP at work and although VNC has some limitations, it's good for what I use it for.

The security side of this may be addressed by tunneling in via VPN before accessing the machines via VNC (if the appropriate hardware is in place at the shop).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X