Microsoft launches Windows 8 developer preview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft launches Windows 8 developer preview

Pretty big news out today. Starting at 8PM PT this evening, you can download a free copy of the Windows 8 developer preview for free.
    Engadget has a bunch of posts, as do many other sites I'm sure, but I'm too busy with work today to search for more.
    Check these out:

Windows 8 developer preview: when and where to download

Microsoft launches Windows 8 developer preview

Windows 8 for tablets hands-on preview (video)

And this is a pretty good one worth a read:
    Windows 8 details: new features, UI enhancements and everything in between
    Just remember the final build is a ways off, so even more updated items may be included.
    Some that caught my attention:
    --All Windows 7 applications will run natively on Windows 8 (so all our recent games won't have compatibility problems :icon12: )

--Refreshed Windows Task Manager suspends apps when they're not running on-screen (frees up RAM and resources. just hope you can turn the feature off and on so the apps you want always running can stay on)

--New "Reset and Refresh PC" functions enable simplified system wipe and restore (holy crap!!!! does this mean I don't have to reinstall windows every 6 months or so to keep it super fresh and get the most out of my games ?!? can't wait to find out)

--Multi-monitor support now enables a single background across screens, as well as monitor-specific task bars (those of us with multi-monitor set ups just grinned ear to ear. if you are reading this and you don't run multi-monitor, stop now and go order a 2nd screen. you'll never go back and hate every moment you are stuck working on someone else's computer with only 1 screen.)

--Built-in antivirus software will ship in Windows 8 (good thing, but I see an anti-trust suit from companies like Norton and Avast, etc.)

--There will not be a different edition of Windows 8 for tablets, and presumably, not for Media Centers either
    It's unclear how many "editions" (Home, Professional, Ultimate, etc.) of Windows 8 there will be (there better be only 1, maybe 2. I'm crossing my fingers that MS learned from their mistakes with Vista and 7 and the anger/frustration/confusion feedback they got from their customers)

Edit:
    Also, a quick article with video from Anandtech:
    Microsoft BUILD: Windows 8, A Pre-Beta Preview

If you guys see any other articles with more info, please post so we can all keep up, and I'll do the same.
    And if anyone gets a chance to download and give it a run, please post some feedback. Screenshots are AWESOME!!:icon_lol:
    And even better is installing a game and testing. Looks like I need to start bookmarking links for a new Mega-Thread Guide for Windows 8..................

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Microsoft launches Windows 8 developer preview

It has actually been available for a few hours...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

Tried loading on a VM via VMWare and ran into errors trying to install. I seem to be having better luck with VirtualBox as I've gotten further in the install then I did with VMWare. Still currently installing.

Comment

Install finished fine with VirtualBox. Playing with it a bit now. Being an Android guy and not a Windows Phone 7 guy the GUI changes are going to take some getting used to.

Comment

Gizmodo got some hands on time with a demo tablet and has a good video:
        Windows 8 Slate Hands On: It’s Fantastic. (But Don’t Sell Your iPad.)

I'm still not completly sold on the Metro interface and tiles, but as the very end of the video shows, there is still a desktop just like the one we all use now for when you want it, or you don't like Metro.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Engadget just posted a really long "preview" of the Dev Build. Lots of info, a good video, and a TON of pictures.
          Just got home and started looking at the article. I'll edit if anything cool................

Link:
          Windows 8 on a laptop in-depth preview (video)

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Please post reviews!

Comment

--Built-in antivirus software will ship in Windows 8 (good thing, but I see an anti-trust suit from companies like Norton and Avast, etc.)
              It's likely MS will just preload MSSE (Microsoft Security Essentials). I don't see this as a bad thing as MSSE is proven to be a great (free) AV program and I don't see Norton and Avast and others filing any anti-trust suits against MS for such an action. I'm sure they'll still leave enough legal workarounds where OEMs can choose to replace the included anti-virus with a competitor's.

Downloading it overnight here. Will mess with it in VM later in the week when I'm not jumping through hoops and juggling a gazillions things.

Edit:

Watching that Engadget video. Off the bat, I hope the final release doesn't force Metro onto us who prefer a traditional desktop. If it does, then I'd rather stick with Windows 7 or switch over to one of many flavors of Linux permanently.

Hmm, very "simplistic" in that the focus is towards everyday users. That's fine, but as a power user and heavy multitasker, the mobile-ish interface is going to prove a pain.

Don't kill me, but remember the iPad joke? Yeah, the one that goes:

"The iPad: Just a bigger iPod Touch."

Well, the same seems to apply here (at least in my mind):

"Windows 8: Just Windows Mobile on the Desktop."

I can already feel the rage stirring inside of me, so without further ado...

[Reserved judgement until after some hands-on play time]
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I read somewhere that the tiles layout is optional on desktop, I hope so too!

Comment

Same, read you can choose a regular desktop if you want.

Comment

So I'm still going to have to have a spare HD running winXP to run my old games and some stuff from like, 4 years ago. Still.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

As said above, you can use a normal desktop full time and never even look at/use the metro tiles if you don't want.
                      CNET just posted this a few hours ago:
                      Benchmark tests offer first hints of Windows 8 performance

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...#ixzz1YRzb39di

Short video but 2 things (maybe 1) is how fast the info from a tile pops up, and how fast the desktop pops up when you click on that tile.
                      Also really like the new task manager.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Here is an interesting video strait from MS talking about the boot functions:
                        How Windows 8 Makes Booting Up Pretty for the First Time in PC History

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X