Bought an HP laptop loaded with bloatware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought an HP laptop loaded with bloatware

I have an unused copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and i'm seriously considering just backing up important files and wiping the hardrive of all HP preinstalls, will this screw with the built in camera or anything of that nature. This laptop came with the Biometrics software that allows you to use a fingerprint instead of a password, but I honestly do not care about that.

Good idea? i don't mind spending 3 hours doing this, i do it once every 2 years on my gaming PC.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Bought an HP laptop loaded with bloatware

See if this thing helps you: http://pcdecrapifier.com/

Used it on a few handed down laptops before, and seems to do a good job of getting rid of most manufacturer's bloatware programs.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Well, you should be able to find the drivers for everything on your laptop online to get whatever working correctly (i.e. camera, fingerprint, etc). With that said, I tend to just do an entire reformat, so I know exactly is on my own computer. If you choose not to go that direction than things like CCleaner, or the one mentioned above are solid alternatives (Haven't used the program above my post myself though).
      A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

pcdecrapifier is good....used it on my wifes new Lenovo and it came out pretty clean
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

You already have a Win7 key on the bottom of your PC. Just burn a Win 7 disc of the same type and install a clean OS. Then go to HP's website and DL the drivers you need. If the PC is brand new, there are no important files so it shouldn't take 3 hours. (maybe 45min if you have a disc already)
          Viking

Comment

Originally posted by DaViking View Post
            You already have a Win7 key on the bottom of your PC. Just burn a Win 7 disc of the same type and install a clean OS. Then go to HP's website and DL the drivers you need. If the PC is brand new, there are no important files so it shouldn't take 3 hours. (maybe 45min if you have a disc already)
            This doesn't work. I have an HP dm1z that I tried that with. I used a spare Windows 7 OEM CD from my other computer and tried installing it on the laptop with the cd key that came with the laptop and it told me the cd key wasn't valid. I even talked to HP customer support and they confirmed that it wouldn't work because the OEM cd keys that come pre-installed is incompatible with retail/oem Windows CD's.
            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
              This doesn't work. I have an HP dm1z that I tried that with. I used a spare Windows 7 OEM CD from my other computer and tried installing it on the laptop with the cd key that came with the laptop and it told me the cd key wasn't valid. I even talked to HP customer support and they confirmed that it wouldn't work because the OEM cd keys that come pre-installed is incompatible with retail/oem Windows CD's.
              I recently got a Dell laptop that was loaded with useless crap. We got a Win7 disc, wiped the laptop, reinstalled using the disc and the key on the bottom, then tried to activate. It didn't work, but when we tried the telephone activation*, it did. Did you try that?

*You dial a number, Windows displays a string of numbers, you enter them into your phone, it reads out another set of numbers which you type into Windows, then hit go. If both sets of numbers check out, it activates.
              |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
              Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
                I recently got a Dell laptop that was loaded with useless crap. We got a Win7 disc, wiped the laptop, reinstalled using the disc and the key on the bottom, then tried to activate. It didn't work, but when we tried the telephone activation*, it did. Did you try that?

*You dial a number, Windows displays a string of numbers, you enter them into your phone, it reads out another set of numbers which you type into Windows, then hit go. If both sets of numbers check out, it activates.
                I don't remember specifically doing that, but I remember exhausting all my options before finally chatting with HP online support. I even tried two different Windows 7 CD's, one was an OEM copy the other was a Retail copy, no luck on either one.

On a side note, the recovery disc does allow you to do a Windows 7 Restore with minimal added software. You should try that.
                "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
                  That would be my recommendation if you encounter any problems using your key with a burned OEM copy of Win7.

The only difference I know of between the manufacturer's OEM copy and your typical system builder OEM copy is that the manufacturer's copy is a OEM:SLP version (SLP = System Locked Pre-Installed). The SLP version is tied to that particular laptop (via data stored in BIOS). This versions allows for instant local (no need for internet) activation. The system builder OEM key is thus "tied" to the first system you install it on (even though I can easily get around that). Otherwise, the two are the same.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                    This is correct. HP (R.I.P.), Dell, Toshiba, etc... they have master licenses. Meaning, it's one key license that they can clone, but shows up as gibberish of XXX when you try to extract the key from windows to do a fresh install. To my knowledge, they have special master license disks for this. That's how they setup so many drives so quickly. So actually, by default, the computer does not come with your license loaded into it.

However, the sticker on the bottom is there in case of a need to re-install, and should work. It's a legit, OEM copy of the OS.

I personally would wipe the drive and do a clean install. You can always get drivers for any devices you wish -- and HP should provide software for your devices as well, on their website. Get rid of that bloatware!

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic
                    "But in contemplating history as the slaughter-bench at which the happiness of peoples, the wisdom
                    of states, and the virtue of individuals have been sacrificed, a question necessarily arises:
                    To what principle, to what final purpose, have these monstrous sacrifices been offered?"
                    - G.W.F. Hegel Reason in History

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X