Performance Testing Virtualbox?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance Testing Virtualbox?

VirtualBox allows you to set the number of cores it uses, the amount of memory, amount of video memory, and a handful of other 'performance' related settings. From what I've read it's questionable whether or not these settings actually increase performance and in some cases may decrease it. I also understand it varies based on your hardware, host OS and virtual OS.

What I'm curious about is if there is a way to test performance? Is there any tool / software that can do this?

FYI... I currently have Win 7 x64 as my host and Ubuntu 10.04 x64 as my virtual. I'd like to run some tests to see what settings for my VM offer the optimal performance.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Performance Testing Virtualbox?

Hmm, not that I know of. At least not any one product solutions. I haven't heard anything about increases resources to the VM box causing performance degradation, at least not with Virtualbox.

Keep in mind, it's a VM, so your guest OS (in this case Ubuntu 10.04) doesn't have direct access to the hardware. Also running processes in the host OS affects performance in the guest OS. Running multiple VMs could lead to some instability (and other performance) issues. Ideally, if you really want to use another OS, mutli-booting is the best choice.

Wikipedia's got a great write up that goes into detail of VMs and advantages/disadvantages: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine
    I highly suggest reading it if you're interesting in VMs, how they work to a degree, etc.

Besides, Virtualbox really limits the screen size to a small window. Not really an ideal way to work, but it's mostly sufficient if your guest OS is nothing more than a CLI (command line interface).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm only using a VM to do some development work where I need a *nix environment. Dual-booting takes too much time to switch between windows and Ubuntu which is why I've gone the VM route. I've got an i7 920 quad core with 6 GB ram so I've dedicated 2 cores and 2 GB ram to the VM. I just don't notice a difference performance wise if I left it at 1 core.

I also don't experience the issue with VirtualBox being a small window. I actually maximize the window and the VM maximizes as well.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

Depending on what sort dev work it is, assigning it an extra core might not do anything if that extra core and RAM is never used. If it's coding and compiling code, I usually leave it at one core with 512 MB of RAM which would be more than enough.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X