OCZ vertex 3 is dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCZ vertex 3 is dead

Well my 120gb vertex 3 is dead after 2 months of use. Wasn't even at 50 % capacity. No when I start I get a black screen with an error code and saying windows could not start because the boot device could not be started. So WHAT SHOULD I GET NEXT? I hear the intel ones are very good.
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Re: OCZ vertex 3 is dead

Are you sure it's dead?

Many of the new 550 sequential read drives have issues being fixed by firmware updates currently.

If your computer is seeing windows, it means the drive is still accessible -- but windows can't start it. It should still be capable of having the firmware updated if you go the site of the manufacturer. You'd have to plug the drive into another computer with an OS already installed to do this (the OS being not on the SSD you're hooking up). Try that first before you decide to consider it gone for good -- and run a windows startup repair from your windows install disk after you do the firmware update.

Currently, I have a Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD. It's slightly more expensive, but faster, than the Vertex 3. Like all drives from this series -- it still is plagued by issues. With the latest updates and correct drives, I get 1-3 crashes a day, sometimes less. Even though Patriot has the same issues as all the manufacturers, they are VERY on top of their issues, and offer great support and replies to complaints.

My view is: They're all having issues, but Patriot is on top of their issues at least.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic
    "But in contemplating history as the slaughter-bench at which the happiness of peoples, the wisdom
    of states, and the virtue of individuals have been sacrificed, a question necessarily arises:
    To what principle, to what final purpose, have these monstrous sacrifices been offered?"
    - G.W.F. Hegel Reason in History

Comment

If you end up exhausting all possibilities of getting that drive up and working, and if you cannot RMA it I would suggest going for a Crucial M4. It is one of the most reliable drives and rivals Intel's reliability but also offers 500MB+ sequential reads with firmware 0009. I caught a 128GB one for $150 and if you wait I'm sure you'll be able to find it at that price again. At that price there's nothing that beats it and I consider it better than any of the MLC/Sandforce drives that are currently available.
      A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Normally I would suggest crucial as well -- but the support I've gotten from Patriot has been really good lately. They seem promising.

Not to mention, they even suggest them sending you a new drive, to make sure your drive doesn't have defects if the firmware updates don't work. A company that pre-emptively is looking to replace hardware to make sure it works for you... that says a lot, imo.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic
        "But in contemplating history as the slaughter-bench at which the happiness of peoples, the wisdom
        of states, and the virtue of individuals have been sacrificed, a question necessarily arises:
        To what principle, to what final purpose, have these monstrous sacrifices been offered?"

Comment

Yeah I am taking to the computer store today to see if it is really dead. Something also strange when it happened is my DVD drive would not open as I was going to do a startup repair as suggested. After about 5 minutes of checking all the cables I gave up and went to watch tv:( heres hoping it's not dead.
          sigpic

Former Pathfinder
          Former ARMA Admin
          Former TGU Headmaster
          Current Noob

Comment

I have read about this problem before. Have you installed or plugged in any new IDE or other SATA drives in recently? Also have you or did you go into your BIOS and change the boot devices from IDE to SATA? Can't recall right off hand what the other thing is called but for some when they connected another SATA or IDE device it won't read your SSD due to it not being top in the order of boot device type list. Just a thought.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

Originally posted by Belander View Post
              I have read about this problem before. Have you installed or plugged in any new IDE or other SATA drives in recently? Also have you or did you go into your BIOS and change the boot devices from IDE to SATA? Can't recall right off hand what the other thing is called but for some when they connected another SATA or IDE device it won't read your SSD due to it not being top in the order of boot device type list. Just a thought.
              It's just called boot priority -- no special name for it.

Since I've updated the firmware on this Patriot Wildfire, it's been a LOT more stable -- hardly any crashes. They're releasing a few more updates to get rid of the remaining crashes... but so far it's great. I highly recommend it.

I'd double check to make sure the drive is really dead. And either way, ALWAYS make sure you get your 'dead' drive back. I've seen some shady computer places before.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eudiphon View Post
                Originally posted by Belander View Post
                It's just called boot priority -- no special name for it.

Since I've updated the firmware on this Patriot Wildfire, it's been a LOT more stable -- hardly any crashes. They're releasing a few more updates to get rid of the remaining crashes... but so far it's great. I highly recommend it.

I'd double check to make sure the drive is really dead. And either way, ALWAYS make sure you get your 'dead' drive back. I've seen some shady computer places before.
                Yeah mate don't worry. This computer place is really good. Owned by a young bloke and it's his first business so he's really keen and he has a good attitude. They do $50 repairs. Does not matter if they have your computer for a week it's 50 bucks.
                sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                Former ARMA Admin
                Former TGU Headmaster
                Current Noob

Comment

With the latest updates and correct drives, I get 1-3 crashes a day, sometimes less. Even though Patriot has the same issues as all the manufacturers, they are VERY on top of their issues, and offer great support and replies to complaints.
                  You're getting 1-3 crashes a day from your SSD and you're happy with it's performance so far? How can you recommend an SSD to someone that is crashing on a daily basis?

You should RMA that drive because something is definitely wrong with it. I know the sandforce drives are having issues and they are still trying to fix it through a firmware update, but it still shouldn't be crashing that often.
                  "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                    With the latest updates and correct drives, I get 1-3 crashes a day, sometimes less. Even though Patriot has the same issues as all the manufacturers, they are VERY on top of their issues, and offer great support and replies to complaints.
                    You're getting 1-3 crashes a day from your SSD and you're happy with it's performance so far? How can you recommend an SSD to someone that is crashing on a daily basis?

You should RMA that drive because something is definitely wrong with it. I know the sandforce drives are having issues and they are still trying to fix it through a firmware update, but it still shouldn't be crashing that often.

Yeah that sounds weird. In 2 months this is the first crash I have had because of my ssd. Other crashes where attributed to my RAM which was replaced.
                    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                    Former ARMA Admin
                    Former TGU Headmaster
                    Current Noob

Comment

Problem fixed. I did a startup repair and it came back to life!! Thanks for all the help guys.
                      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                      Former ARMA Admin
                      Former TGU Headmaster
                      Current Noob

Comment

It was actually < 1 crash per day, when I counted it. The new firmware seems to fix this, and I haven't had crashes for a few days now. So, so far, it seems fixed. So, with the working firmware, yes -- I do recommend it.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic

Comment

OCZ Vertex 2 owner here.

Has ran flawlessly, no crashes, nothing, since 9/14/2010.

You guys musta gotten a bad batch huh?
                          Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                            OCZ Vertex 2 owner here.

Has ran flawlessly, no crashes, nothing, since 9/14/2010.

You guys musta gotten a bad batch huh?
                            All the new series of SSDs has issues that are mostly resolved via firmware. They're still working out the latest problems, but so far the version 3.3.0 firmware is working really well for me.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic

Comment

I have been running a sata2 60gb Corsair f60 for over a year without a single issue or crash, and speed has not waned at all. SSD life shows this drive will die in July 2021. (but I do not have and cache, temp, hibernate, or pagefile files on this drive... it is as read only as I can make it.

My 2011 core i5 macbook pro has a 120gb sata3 OCZ Solid3 and it has not had any issues I can attribute to the drive (when I overload the usb ports on power, the computer crashes instead of just not powering everything. This happens when I have my Droid X and an external WD passport 1TB 2.5" plugged in at the same time.) SSD life says this drive will die in August 2016... but with 2 OSes and all the read / write access, I understand why.....

I love them both and have 0 complaints about either purchase.
                              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X