Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need your help to improve my rig

Hello!

I just started playing the BF3 beta, I like it, however it runs like crap on my computer. Even the mouse chugs at 1920X1080 resolution.
    So I am a bit sad right now.
    I figured that if I post my horribly crappy computer stats right here you nice people could give me some tips on how to improve it.

Processor: i5 750 2.67 ghz 4 cores
    GPU: Zotac Geforce 260GTX factory overclocked (I think the box said 265 but whatever).
    4GB ram stock, nothing fancy.

Are their any other factors that I need to think about performance wise?

I ran BC2 just fine by the way.
    I have been thinking about getting a 570GTX and bump up the ram to 8GB, my only worry is that I might need to upgrade the processor aswell.
    What do you fine gentlemen and ladies think?

Money is a factor since I am a student, but I'd rather go a bit too high than a bit too low.
    Thanks in advance.

edit: I had no problems running the BF alpha

FML...
    "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

U need more video....everything else seems ok

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Re: I need your help to improve my rig

Originally posted by Ven View Post
      U need more video....everything else seems ok
      You think so?
      That makes me a bit happier :)
      Thanks for the input!

Comment

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD 1280MB PhysX would this do?
        A bit too expensive, but if that is all I need to upgrade I could spare the money

Comment

Have you played around with any settings in game to determine which ones relieve your symptoms? This may help determine what sort of processes are causing issues.

Use tools to monitor resource usage.

Windows task manager/performance monitor for CPU usage, and memory

Some third party option for GPU, "GPU-Z" or "MSI afterburner" are my suggestions
          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
            Have you played around with any settings in game to determine which ones relieve your symptoms? This may help determine what sort of processes are causing issues.

Use tools to monitor resource usage.

Windows task manager/performance monitor for CPU usage, and memory

Some third party option for GPU, "GPU-Z" or "MSI afterburner" are my suggestions
            Yeah I played around with the settings a bit. It chugged like crazy on medium so I turned everything to low, but that only helped a small amount.
            I tried turning off AA and all the other filters without it getting any better. The only thing I did that made the game playable for me was to reduce the resolution to 1280X720. It runs smooth but since my monitor is 1920x1080 native resolution everything is blurry.
            The task manager shows no indication that another process is hogging resources.

I'll try and play around with MSI afterburner a bit. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Lien, why buy a new processor, just overclock the one you have. The I5-750 overclocks brilliantly, you can get that up to near 4GHZ on air cooling easy. Spend 40 on an decent CPU cooler and you are golden. There are lots of easy to follow guides on how to do it. However follow the advice you have been given here and try and diagnose the issue first.

Regarding the GPU, yeah an upgrade would help. As regards RAM, opinions vary but more than 4GBs of RAM is only going to help if you are multitasking while you are gaming or if you edit video etc. More RAM is nice but it won't help with gaming in this instance.

Comment

Thanks for the info Wicks!
                I did not know that it was easy to everclock the 750 or rather I have been hesitant to try it :)

Well I am getting more and more certain that I'll go with the 570GTX and go from there. I can always overclock and buy more ram whenever.

Thanks to all of you for helping me out!

Comment

In process manager what is the CPU utilization during gameplay? Are multiple cores constantly at 100% usage?
                  |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I just checked, yes they are all running at a 100%

Comment

I would check your GPU usage before purchasing a replacement and if it is at less than 100% usage most of the time then you should look at upgrading you CPU instead or freeing up some more cycles on it. Or creating more cycles like Wickens suggested.

You probably have a USB mouse? Which can show the symptoms of lag if your CPU is being requested by some other process with a higher priority.
                      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I would check your GPU usage before purchasing a replacement and if it is at less than 100% usage most of the time then you should look at upgrading you CPU instead or freeing up some more cycles on it. Or creating more cycles like Wickens suggested.

You probably have a USB mouse? Which can show the symptoms of lag if your CPU is being requested by some other process with a higher priority.
                        Well as far as I could see all cores were at 100% Or did you mean my GPU? As far as I can tell (no expert though) I feel like my GPU was struggling, I heard the fan go into overdrive when the game launched.
                        Yes I have a USB mouse, the one thing I reacted on was that I felt like the mouse movement was stuttering and I have not seen that before. When I was standing still the framerate was choppy as it was but as soon as I used my mouse to look around it felt like it was skipping frames if you get what I mean. When I turned down the res all problems went away.

Again thanks for the the tips.

Comment

Did you update to the Beta drivers that nvidia released specifically for this game? The drivers just came out a day or two ago.
                          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I mean that since your CPU is at 100% usage

and IF

your GPU is not at 100% usage

THEN

your problem may not be with your GPU but with your CPU

SO

you should check GPU usage before you go and purchase another one so as to not waste your upgrade funds

also do what Voodoo said if you haven't
                            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                              Did you update to the Beta drivers that nvidia released specifically for this game? The drivers just came out a day or two ago.
                              Yes, that was the first thing I did I mean who could resist an up to 38% increase in performance :)

I mean that since your CPU is at 100% usage

and IF

your GPU is not at 100% usage

THEN

your problem may not be with your GPU but with your CPU

SO

you should check GPU usage before you go and purchase another one so as to not waste your upgrade funds

also do what Voodoo said if you haven't
                              Will do!

Update: It seems that I read the processor statistics wrong the noob that I am. All cores seem to be running at about 70-80%. Will check the GPU usage after work.

Update 2: I have now ordered the EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Classified, I read a review and it looks like it will be able to handle BF3 satisfactory (Won't run it on ultra anyways). Hopefully I get it tomorrow.
                              Last edited by Lien; 09-28-2011, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X