• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-BF3 Upgrades

So my current specs are as followed:

Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    6 GB of Corsair XMS RAM
    Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition Service Pack 2 (build 6002), 64-bit
    XFX ATI 5870

Before BF3 comes out, I'm highly considering the following upgrades:

- New Case (my Antec 900 is too crowded and my cable management sucks): Corsair Obsidian Series 650D

- New Graphics Card (and sell the 5870 for some cash): XFX HD-695X-ZNDC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP

I'm also skeptically considering the following:

- Upgrade to Win7? I know BF3 asks for Win7 64-bit, but am I missing anything just sticking with Vista 64-bit and saving that money?

- More Corsair Ram. Pretty cheap and I'd fill my remaining channels and have 6 GB overall of RAM. But would I see a performance increase at all?

Any input would be much appreciated!

Re: Pre-BF3 Upgrades

Whenever I upgrade I like to reformat. Dunno why. A clean slate never hurts.

I 1000x over recommend Win 7 over Vista. You'll see... YOU'LL SEEEEEEE!

What's your power supply situation looking like?
    Skud

Comment

I have the big brother to that card(2gb) you will love it...but skuds right in asking about the PS. Double check you have enough juice....I believe my card is dual 8 pin PCI express connectors.

On a side note....run the fan at about 60% in CCC....card will never crack 50C in a well ventilated case.
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

With a 6950 you would have to remove the Hard drive bracket that is directly in front of the PCI-e X16 slot if not already removed in order to fit it properly, which would also make your case look even more crowded and most likely rise the temperature of your components. You could save the money on windows 7, in my opinion it is a far superior OS then vista though. The extra ram is helpful in this day and age.

And if your thinking about selling the 5870, how much would you be asking for?

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
          Whenever I upgrade I like to reformat. Dunno why. A clean slate never hurts.

I 1000x over recommend Win 7 over Vista. You'll see... YOU'LL SEEEEEEE!
          This and this. Even just reformatting and keeping the hardware the same provides a noticeable boost for things like start-up times. And Win7 is nice. Though you might want to wait, as Windows 8 is only about a year away.
          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
          Irregular since 2007.

Comment

vista uses a lot of memory, while win7 uses much less, so you'll save memory you can use to play the game. its not a must but it would help. I am have 8GB ram and I havnt gone passed 40% yet while running BF3 with everything max settings. I also, like ven have the 6950 2GB and I run around 50 FPS. I am however running it now on medium settings because the game still looks the same in my eyes on medium compared to ultra. I get around 70-80 FPS on medium.

I would advise you to go with the 2GB one instead of the 1GB. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121431
            I would also recommend this for a case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119160

Comment

As for the OS, I'll wait on it. But a reformat does sound nice. I'm still relatively new to all this, so tips for reformatting? I have a back-up HD (1TB WD) to put data on but I'm unsure of the actual process.

For the PSU, I have a 850W Antec and I'm flying high with it. My 5870 uses plenty of pins so I'll be fine.

Will I have the case issue if I upgrade the case to that Corsair? Or should I go bigger?

Thanks everyone for the input so far!

Also, would there be a noticeable difference between the 6950 and the 6970 cards to justify the $100 price difference?

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                Also, would there be a noticeable difference between the 6950 and the 6970 cards to justify the $100 price difference?
                I asked the exact same question when i was building mine. the answer is no. plus if you get the 6950 2GB, you'll be able to overclock it to 6970 speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post

I would also recommend this for a case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119160
                  I also recommend this case if you are upgrading. I have the same one Loads of space, the cooling is exceptional and is great for overclocking.

Comment

Would this CORSAIR Vengeance 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) play nicely with my i7? I might just swap out the 6 GB of RAM I have in there for that. Or could I just add it to what I have?

Comment

A 6950 is a sidegrade to a 5870. A waste of money unless you find that you absolutely need 2gb of video memory versus 1.

check out this chart for a quick and dirty view on if you are upgrading(you should aim to go at least 3 tiers up)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,3018-7.html

Unless you are just bursting with extra money I'd say you are good to go. Maybe try to tidy up the case instead of swapping everything. New stuff is fun though.
                      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                        A 6950 is a sidegrade to a 5870. A waste of money unless you find that you absolutely need 2gb of video memory versus 1.

check out this chart for a quick and dirty view on if you are upgrading(you should aim to go at least 3 tiers up)

Unless you are just bursting with extra money I'd say you are good to go. Maybe try to tidy up the case instead of swapping everything. New stuff is fun though.
                        Exactly why I go here for advice.

Extra RAM a waste then?

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post

I dont really agree with this. with a 2GB version of the 6950 you can overclock the card to almost the same specs of the 6970. saving you 100 dollars in the process.

Comment

In terms of $ saved versus buying a 6970 it might look good, but if you are looking for performance/$:

Price of 6950 - price of sold 5870

is what you are paying for the performance delta between

6950(overclocked to 6970) <-->5870
                            1 tier on tomshardware GPU charts

here are some benchmarks comparing a 6970 and a 5870 in BFBC2:
                            http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...n,2818-12.html
                            A decent change, but not what I look for when I upgrade cards.

I doubt it'd be very worthwhile. I'd recommend at least trying the game with the 5870 and if it is found lacking then considering a more significant upgrade. Or maybe even overclocking the current card although I don't recall if the 5870 was any good for that.
                            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I'm going to have to agree that the upgrade to a Radeon HD 6950 from a Radeon HD 5870 is not really worth the money. The only video card that's currently available that would provide a substantial upgrade over what you currently have is a GeForce GTX 580. Like Namebot said, your best bet is to wait for the game and try it out on your current system. I'm willing to bet it will run well at medium settings.

Corsair 650D is a pretty big case and handles even a dual-video card setup easily.

Your PSU has plenty of power capacity for future upgrades.

I don't think you need a memory upgrade, 6GB is still a lot.

Upgrade to Windows 7 is so much more pleasant to use than Vista, but I could see how some people might not care.
                              "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X