Recommended Upgrade for battlefield 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Upgrade for battlefield 3

Hey bro's, like many of us here at TG I hoped on the bf3 beta yesterday pumped for the next generation of battlefield. And sadly realized my ati radeon HD 3870 512mb ATI's old flagship card was no match for the game, Playing with no lag currently but on low settings at 1600X900(my max resolution). And well it's time to plan an upgrade in between now and BF3's release. I have been looking heavily into the Nvidia GTX 560/ ATI Radeon HD 6870 price line hopefully cheaper. I want to spend about $150 - $200. To be able to play the game in well most of it's graphical glory.

System:
    HAF 922
    AMD phenom II X4 955 Black edition 3.6 Ghz
    3.5 GB DDR2 Corsair ram 667
    Biostar am2+ motherboard
    ati radeon HD 3870
    650w PSU
    Last edited by RedFalcoln; 09-30-2011, 10:33 PM.

Re: Recommended Upgrade for battlefield 3

In all due honesty -- an upgrade of $150-$200 just won't be enough. You're a little low on ram, but that may be a limit of a 32-bit operating system, if you're still using one.

If you can't go higher on ram, try to go for an ATI 6800 series if you can swing it. 6850 or 6970 are both within your price range for a rig like you have. Should be able to get something respectable. But don't go higher than a 6870, because the rest of your rig is bottle necking you too much for it to be worth it. The CPU isn't bad though, but you're low on ram currently.

Will it max the game? No. But you should be able to pull medium level settings fairly well, within your range of $150-$200.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic
    "But in contemplating history as the slaughter-bench at which the happiness of peoples, the wisdom
    of states, and the virtue of individuals have been sacrificed, a question necessarily arises:
    To what principle, to what final purpose, have these monstrous sacrifices been offered?"
    - G.W.F. Hegel Reason in History

Comment

I have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, yeah it's very low amount of ram :( Between the 6870 and the GTX 560 which do you think is better? I have always been ati biased so have a slight idea about nvidia but never payed much attention to them. Would it be my ram causing a bottleneck for a better card?

Comment

4 more gigs of ram and a 6850 or 6870 is a good route to go. Go with a 6950 if you can swing it. It will be much improved.

I have 4 gigs of DDR2 for sale in the buy/sell forum too :)
        -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

I'm doing the same. I currently have an Intel Core 2 duo 2.4 GHz, ATI 4850 1GB, and 2 GB of system RAM. I just put in an order for a new gfx card and ram. The card is a 6870 with 2GB (most in that series are 1GB).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150563

And I'm still on a DDR2 800 system until I can update my mobo, processor, etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820104020

And for what it's worth, I also ordered a new bluetooth and wifi adapter. These seemed like good deals. Apparently a lot of adapters don't play well with Win7 64 bit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166025

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833340019

Comment

Imma have 2 say go with the GTX 560. I've heard a lot of good things about its performance with BF3 lately, and you won't have to break the bank (which has nothing to do with its quality, it is still a very nice graphics card that will run the game on the highest video quality).

Comment

I got an extra stick of DDR2 2GB and swapped it out for the 512mb DDR2 stick already in my PC so now I have 5 GB, I also saw on the buy-sell-trade forum that glycerin is selling a GTX 275 for $85. I was thinking about buying it since acreo aeneas said it is comparable to an HD 5830,4890 or GTX 550. Any thought's?

I went out and got the 2gb since I plan on upgrading my entire PC in a few months and didn't want to overspend on parts for this PC, but if I bought a new GTX560 or 6870 I would keep those for the future build.

I'm gonna go see if there is any increase in performance with the extra 2 GB of ram.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFalcoln View Post
                I got an extra stick of DDR2 2GB and swapped it out for the 512mb DDR2 stick already in my PC so now I have 5 GB, I also saw on the buy-sell-trade forum that glycerin is selling a GTX 275 for $85. I was thinking about buying it since acreo aeneas said it is comparable to an HD 5830,4890 or GTX 550. Any thought's?

I went out and got the 2gb since I plan on upgrading my entire PC in a few months and didn't want to overspend on parts for this PC, but if I bought a new GTX560 or 6870 I would keep those for the future build.

I'm gonna go see if there is any increase in performance with the extra 2 GB of ram.
                I've been seeing a lot of 460s less than $100 and even reaching $60 AR here: GeForce GTX 460 Sonic. The 460 is right in-between the performance of a 275 and 285 so I would look at going that route if possible. The 460 also has a much lower TDP, a shorter PCB, and DX11... which therefore will pull less watts and yield lower heat production. With that said, the GTX460 has a lot more headroom to overclock in terms of a % from stock especially since it has voltage control whereas the 275 doesn't. It also has better OC scaling (each % increase in clocks yields a higher % increase in fps). At the end of the day this means that at max OC's, the 460 is going to be a noticeably faster card, especially when it comes to minimum fps measurements. Furthermore, GTX460 gives you a small memory capacity boost and the 460's scaling in SLI is absolutely phenomenal, better than that of any 200 series card.
                A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

That looks like a great buy and definitely an improvement over my 3870 thank you :)

Comment

I have that one. It gets noisy. That is an awesome price though.
                    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

How is it handling bf3?

Comment

Originally posted by RedFalcoln View Post
                        How is it handling bf3?
                        I can already tell you that there are tests out there you can google that covers the performance of all current day cards and back to the 8000 series with BF3. I'm not sure what you're expecting, and there are a lot of factors at play. What resolution, etc, etc are you running... and I am only trying to get the best of your moneys worth until you purchase a more permanent graphics card.
                        A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

My processor is not the best match [email protected] and holds everything back a bit.

I can run settings from low to high with little to no change to FPS. 20-40.

With your CPU it should be better performance.

When reading peoples beta performance keep in mind that not all the visual effects are active. Destruction is off as well as supposedly some other things. That is a killer deal though andI doubt you can get any better $/performance than that at the moment.
                          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X