X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC versus Console

From the developer's perspective:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/03/2d...dus-from-xbla/

the most influential factor these developers reported using in choosing their platforms was “ease of working with the platform owner.” The majority of developers (64 percent) rated Steam/Valve was “very easy” to work with. Forty-eight percent, however, rated Microsoft/XBLA as “excruciating.” Carmel cited the legal wrangling and certification process required to publish on XBLA as two major obstacles for indie developers, ones that waste tremendous amounts of time resources.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: PC versus Console

Steam/Valve is definitely much more convenient for the indie game developer. Microsoft is a real pain

Comment

Originally posted by DrBob477 View Post
      Steam/Valve is definitely much more convenient for the indie game developer. Microsoft is a real pain
      Even more convenient is self-distribution, it just lacks the instant publicity and ease-of-use for the consumer.
      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
      Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
        Even more convenient is self-distribution, it just lacks the instant publicity and ease-of-use for the consumer.
        ...Which can spell a slow, painful, and inevitable death to an indie developer, making it less convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
          ...Which can spell a slow, painful, and inevitable death to an indie developer, making it less convenient.
          Only if you need mass market sales to succeed. That might be true of a game that needs a lot of players (like the Battlefield series) but not so true of single-player games or those with small teams (eg. Left for Dead).

Also, not every indie is in it as a primary income source. If you're in it for ego or supplementary income, it's not a disaster if you don't make money. But any mandatory distribution system that costs much is going to kill those developers. Only truly commercial indies will develop for those platforms.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

But I also said this:

it just lacks the instant publicity and ease-of-use for the consumer.
            Self-distribution is less of a hassle than getting a game on Steam, which is less of a hassle than getting a game on XBLA. The downside is that it's more annoying for the consumer, as with Steam they have all their games in one place (hence ease-of-use), and new indie games get advertised (hence instant publicity). You seem to be trying to disagree with me, by agreeing with me. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your post.
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Self-distribution is less of a hassle than getting a game on Steam
              THIS is why I take issue with your post. PROVE this is the case.

They still have to go through a credit-handling agency to manage purchases and in the case of a lot of indie developers, quite unfortunately, they choose PayPal. Do you know nothing about the shenanigans PayPal pulls? Hell, it's been pretty popular on Reddit the last week or so. Every time one of these indie developers (or really, any small online business) gets anywhere, PayPal veritably ****s all over them, citing B.S. security reasons.

Want to know how hard it is to register a game with Steam? http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/index.php

Comment

They still have to go through a credit-handling agency to manage purchases and in the case of a lot of indie developers, quite unfortunately, they choose PayPal. Do you know nothing about the shenanigans PayPal pulls? Hell, it's been pretty popular on Reddit the last week or so. Every time one of these indie developers (or really, any small online business) gets anywhere, PayPal veritably ****s all over them, citing B.S. security reasons.
                I'm well aware of the problems some (because it's not every; it's some) indie developers have had with PayPal, Google Checkout, and other credit-handlers. Minecraft and Project Zomboid are probably the most commonly-cited examples, and I'm sure there are more out there. But I wasn't referring to the hassle of payment systems, I was meant the certification process. In the link you provided, it states that there are criteria that must be fulfilled for a game to be sold on Steam (it's vague about those criteria - "fun", "unique and interesting", etc.), but not every game will be sold on Steam - Din's Curse is one example*.
                There are alternative payment systems other than the most well-known ones, such as BMT Micro and FastSpring, and there are 'Steam-alike' platforms for indie developers (e.g. Show Me The Games and Desura).
                My point was that having a game on Steam means people are more likely to buy it (as it gets free promotion from Steam, and it's easy for customers to buy games from there and have them in their library for ever), but not every game gets sold on Steam.

* From this thread:
                Developer: "It doesn't look like Din's Curse is going to get on Steam any time soon. They told us no again a few days ago. Everyone is free to buy Din's Curse directly from us though."
                Forumite: "Was there any reason given? It doesn't make much sense that Depths [Depths of Peril, another game by the same dev] is on here but not Din's. *shrugs*"
                Developer: "It is their policy to not give any specific reasons why they don't accept a game."
                Last edited by westyfield; 10-08-2011, 02:36 PM. Reason: added paragraph breaks
                |TG-Irr| westyfield

Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Instant publicity is going to be hard regardless...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X