First BSOD in over five years!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First BSOD in over five years!

It freaked me out. I've had those little "Windows has recovered from a critical error" windows pop up a few times since switching to WinXP, but this was a full on blue screen.

I'm trying to figure out what may be causing it. It's happening regularly 5-10 minutes after turning my computer on. I don't think it's temperature related, as my temps are nice and low, low 70's F for case/MB and high 70's F for CPU. But once it crashes, if I simply turn the computer back on, it'll lock up almost immediately, sometimes not even booting completely. As if something's too hot still.... If I let it set for 15 minutes or so, "to cool off", then I can get it to boot and can mess around with it for 5-10 minutes...

The only things that have changed since it was stable are a video card and monitor. I've also installed BOINC ([email protected]), BF2 and, after it became unstable, SiSoft Sandra Lite. (not quite sure how to use Sandra yet, though...)

I don't really think anything else is relevent, but I'm running an Athlon64 3200 in a A8V Deluxe with 2G RAM. Audigy2 and 3Com NIC. MSI 6800GT. Maxtor SATA HDD. LG DVD/CDR.

I've never overclocked anything.

Any suggestions?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: First BSOD in over five years!

If it's heat related I don't think you'd get a BSOD.

The one time I had random BSODs was due to a bad memory chip. Try only using one memory chip and see if it is stable. Try that for each memory chip and in at least two different memory slots.

What are you doing when the BSOD appears? If you leave your machine idle does it do it? If that's the case, I'd look at what background processes you have running.

Have you tried booting to the "last stable setup"? (or whatever that's called)
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch
      If it's heat related I don't think you'd get a BSOD.

The one time I had random BSODs was due to a bad memory chip. Try only using one memory chip and see if it is stable. Try that for each memory chip and in at least two different memory slots.
      I haven't tried this yet. I will.
      What are you doing when the BSOD appears? If you leave your machine idle does it do it? If that's the case, I'd look at what background processes you have running.
      I haven't seen it do it when it's idle, but that's because I've not left it idle for that long... The first time it happened was while playing BF2. Since then, the PC hasn't lasted longer than 15 minutes, and I've been trying to read the forums, download and install Sandra, mess around with Windows, etc...
      Have you tried booting to the "last stable setup"? (or whatever that's called)
      Yeah, that didn't seem to help at all...
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Does it tell you a file the error occured in? It could also be unstable HD.

- -

Comment

Check your power rails too. If you're getting just underpowered, you might get BSOD's. Usually you get random restarts, but if you're just barely underpwoered to where the memory or something is occasionally not getting enough juice it might cause a memory-related BSOD. I always check the PSU when I'm having problems after installing new hardware. On that system, if you're not running atleast a quality 450W PSU, I blame that all the way.
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
            Check your power rails too.
            What's the best way to do this? I have no multimeter...
            If you're getting just underpowered, you might get BSOD's. Usually you get random restarts, but if you're just barely underpwoered to where the memory or something is occasionally not getting enough juice it might cause a memory-related BSOD. I always check the PSU when I'm having problems after installing new hardware. On that system, if you're not running atleast a quality 450W PSU, I blame that all the way.
            I'm running an Antec TruPower 430w

I was under the impression that 430 would be enough? I'm wrong?
            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
              I don't really think anything else is relevent, but I'm running an Athlon64 3200 in a A8V Deluxe with 2G RAM. Audigy2 and 3Com NIC. MSI 6800GT. Maxtor SATA HDD. LG DVD/CDR.

Any suggestions?
              Mmm yeah why don't you send that stuff down to me and I'll take a look at it.

Comment

What message does the BSOD have?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                  What's the best way to do this? I have no multimeter...

I'm running an Antec TruPower 430w

I was under the impression that 430 would be enough? I'm wrong?
                  That seems pretty lean to me.

Comment

Hmmm, this is interesting. Motherboard Monitor is reporting this:
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Are any errors registering under the event log... most likely under the application log.
                      |TG-12th| asch
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch
                        Are any errors registering under the event log... most likely under the application log.
                        Where would I find these logs?

I ended up reseating the RAM, well, the sticks switched places, and the PC has been running smooth for almost an hour now. Maybe that's all it needed? Keep your fingers crossed for me. Electronics are funny sometimes...
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Your lucky MBM works with your computer, it doesnt work with mine, and i have to settle with SpeedFan, and it doesnt even say my CPU temp, just Local what ever.

GA-K8NS-Ultra 939

Anyway, ive got my fingers crossed for ya.
                          Oyee

Comment

I think I figured it out. It's a loose connector on my HDD. I didn't want to experiment to find out whether it's the data or the pwr cable, but when I put the side back on my case, the MB started beeping when I moved the cables.

I just pushed them around until they looked straight, put the case back together and it seems to be working fine now. Just have to be careful not to jostle the case, I guess...
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Doubtful that was it, If anything you shoud unconnect your components and reconnect them making sure they are connect properly. IDE cables are tight fits and they will not enter in or come out of their slots easily.

- -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X