need input on BF3 processor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need input on BF3 processor

I currently have a 945 PhenomII running at 3.0 ghz. My MOBO is AM3 with the 870 chipset.
    I have been watching and monitoring in BF3 and it appears with origin, battleog, TS, and the game running it is utilizing about 95%-98% of my cpu especially on caspian border/conquest....which is the game mode I plan to play.

I am considering doing the 1090T hexcore and then bumping it to around 3.8 - 4.0 ghz
    OR
    I can do the Phenom II 980 which runs at 3.7GHZ stock

comparison = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671&IsNodeI d=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&CompareItemLis t=343|19-103-849^19-103-849-TS%2C19-103-934^19-103-934-TS

I was a bit dissapointed that I had to dial my settings back with my 6970 Vid card to get it to stay steady around 65-70 fps.....mostly medium or high.

Will a cpu bump improve that as I am almost 100% maxing my cpu?

which one is the smarter pick?

full specs

AMd 945 Phenom II
    xfx 6950...flashed to 6970 2 gb 1920X1080 res
    Asrock extreme 3 870 AM3
    8 gigs ddr3 pc1600 G.Skill
    Soundblaster extreme gamer sound card
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Re: need input on BF3 processor

To determine if a CPU upgrade alone will get you where you want, you should start by monitoring GPU usage while in game and see if it is hitting %100 when you are having the slowdowns that bother you. Can't do this now of course. If you want to wait until game release to retest that is an option.

A CPU upgrade will yield improvements, but the question is if it will give you the type of improvements you want. An increase mainly to average/max fps is not what you are looking for at this point. Instead you want to increase your minimum fps I imagine? It is hard to say which component to look to first without some data from the GPU usage.

At the speeds you stated the 6 core is better, but the X4 can be upped as well? AMD's new line may be released in the next couple of days(12th) and might effect prices if you feel like waiting.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Yeah I know bulldozer is coming out....I can't afford to swap to that platform, but AM3 should till suffice for a bit longer. I guess once the game comes out I need to monitor usage of my card. Any preferred programs?
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

MSI afterburner, I've come to prefer this because it has more functionality including FPS measurement and on screen stats.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

GPU-Z, lightweight

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

in same boat

I have a similar rig config and the same CPU. I also am thinking of an upgrade don't know which way to go. CPU or vid card.
          Sarcoma
          Sarcoma.

Comment

Neither CPU upgrade makes sense since they would only provide a marginal clock speed increase on an outdated CPU architecture. I haven't been following the AM3 socket upgrade path, but is there any chance that a Bulldozer CPU would work in your current motherboard? If not, I would recommend you either wait until you can afford a bulldozer CPU + motherboard or just overclock your current processor. With the Phenom II X4 945 you should be able to hit around 3.4 GHz with ease.
            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

no AM3+ supoport for my board. Unfortunately this CPU is locked....its not a black edition.

As for marginal speed increase....I can get another 1000mhz if I go the 1090T route....that wouldn't help?

Comment

Frostbite 2 seems to like more cores and an X6 might be a good band-aid for the time being. They clock well and they do have the two extra processor cores. I'm looking at a new build in the next few months and will be going with either Bulldozer or Sandy Bridge, depending on which one performs better at the $200 price point.
                sigpic

Comment

My quadcore intel i5-2500K also uses 85% plus on all my cores running on auto(mostly high, some ultra)

Comment

If gaming is your primary concern then the i5-2500k is where its at. I would do another lengthy write-up as in why, but I have already written the same things a few times over so I'm sure you could find it within this section of the forums.
                    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                      no AM3+ supoport for my board. Unfortunately this CPU is locked....its not a black edition.

As for marginal speed increase....I can get another 1000mhz if I go the 1090T route....that wouldn't help?
                      Just because the cpu multiplier is locked doesn't mean you can't overclock your processor :)

The Phenom II X4 945 has a cpu multiplier of 15 (which is locked) and a default FSB of 200 mhz (which is not locked). 15 x 200 mhz = 3.0 Ghz which is how they arrive at your CPU's clock speed. In short, you overclock locked processors by increasing the FSB. If you're willing to give it a shot, you could easily get your CPU to 3.4-3.5 Ghz I would imagine and it wouldn't cost you anything other than an hour of your time.

Here's a guide on overclocking Phenom II processors:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=596023

Or you could plunk down $190 for an X6 1100T, but really if you're spending that much wouldn't you rather spend a little more and just get a bulldozer + cheap motherboard?
                      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Ok, bulldozer benches are less than impressive. Back to my original question then.....which looks like a better option?

Comment

Video

Have good results from my MB/CPU combo ive decided to upgrade my vid card or get another one to run with it. 5870 x2 or new single card upgrade. I'll wait for AM3 CPUs to get cheap around the holidays and get a six core.
                          Sarcoma
                          Sarcoma.

Comment

Hey Ven, can you get the 1100T? To be completely honest it clocks amazingly well. I have bumped it to 4.2Ghz stable without much effort. Make sure to bump the NB up and your set. BC2 high settings barely scratches 26% cpu usage. That's with TS, xfire, steam, fraps and a web browser open.

Also... what card do u have exactly? I'm not impressed with the 6850 I have and want to go up to a 2g 6950 or a 1.5g GTX 580. But I am also looking at cost/performance ration.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

Originally posted by Belander View Post
                              Hey Ven, can you get the 1100T? To be completely honest it clocks amazingly well. I have bumped it to 4.2Ghz stable without much effort. Make sure to bump the NB up and your set. BC2 high settings barely scratches 26% cpu usage. That's with TS, xfire, steam, fraps and a web browser open.

Also... what card do u have exactly? I'm not impressed with the 6850 I have and want to go up to a 2g 6950 or a 1.5g GTX 580. But I am also looking at cost/performance ration.
                              Im considering the 1090 or 1100t. As for cards i have the xfx 6950 2gb model. Mine was the first gen card with dual bios. I flashed it to 6970 bios the first day i got it and never looked back. I have yet to OC the card to 6970 speeds as i havent found a game that really pushes the card, but i may have to with bf3. First step is new cpu then i'll go from there. I'm going to wait a bit. With bulldozer out the 1100t should drop a little in price i hope.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X