Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: How often does Mozilla Firefox freeze for you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: How often does Mozilla Firefox freeze for you?

Honestly i have been putting up with this crap for some time now. Its about every 30 minutes Firefox locks up and i have to wait 30 seconds to 5mins for it to respond. Sometimes its so bad i cannot ctrl+alt+del to open task manager to end the process. I would love to use google chrome, but i like to surf youtube a lot and the ad blocker on firefox prevents all those annoying 30 second ads before videos.

How often does Firefox freeze for you? What would be the perfect alternative to firefox? I hate Ads more then anything.
    -oG.WarrioR-

|?|

Re: POLL: How often does Mozilla Firefox freeze for you?

Mine doesn't freeze that much but there's plenty of "oops, this is embarrasing" moments.
    I once had a problem similar to yours, which required hard restarts when FF froze, that was due to a faulty RAM stick, might check yours just in case.
    Too many add-ons can also cause these problems.

Comment

Firefox rarely crashes or locks up for me. You could always switch to Chrome if you are having problems though.

Comment

Mine freezes maybe once a week. It's completely random and pretty annoying but I don't like Chrome so I'm kind of stuck.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalWarrior View Post
          Honestly i have been putting up with this crap for some time now. Its about every 30 minutes Firefox locks up and i have to wait 30 seconds to 5mins for it to respond. Sometimes its so bad i cannot ctrl+alt+del to open task manager to end the process. I would love to use google chrome, but i like to surf youtube a lot and the ad blocker on firefox prevents all those annoying 30 second ads before videos.

How often does Firefox freeze for you? What would be the perfect alternative to firefox? I hate Ads more then anything.
          Aren't there ad blockers for Chrome now? I know Chrome supports extensions now and I would imagine someone has made an ad block extension by now.
          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Not one that's good enough to stop YouTube ads (I refuse to condone ads on YouTube until all of their actual video servers load as fast as the ad servers).

As for the thread question... Depends on if my saved list of tabs opens a video or one of the tabs has a particularly large amount of images (screenshot LP on the Let's Play forum of Something Awful being a good example of that). If I'm running FF like a normal person, not a chance will it ever crash/freeze. On my setup where I'll have 10-12 tabs that I save between instances of FF? It's a gamble.

Comment

If applications are crashing and/or freezing, I'd suggest running a test of your memory and hard drive.

If the speed of the computer seems ok, outside firefox crashes, then I'd lean towards memory -- but it's always good to test both as a starting precaution.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic
              "But in contemplating history as the slaughter-bench at which the happiness of peoples, the wisdom
              of states, and the virtue of individuals have been sacrificed, a question necessarily arises:
              To what principle, to what final purpose, have these monstrous sacrifices been offered?"
              - G.W.F. Hegel Reason in History

Comment

If Firefox is the only thing that is acting up and freezing, chances that it is RAM drops a bit, though a quick RAM test isn't hard to run. Not completely, but it really sounds like a buggy addon or theme. I remember posting something here a while back that was some kind of review of how buggy each add-on was and a ranking.
                I searched but can't find it in the forums. It was kind of like this though:
                Link: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

You should look here as well:
                Link: Standard diagnostic - Firefox

Skim through that and see if you see anything that will help.

Here is what I would do. Download the portable-apps version of Firefox (Link: Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition) and install it. I usually install it to my desktop so it is easy to remember to delete when I'm done. Just delete the folder it installs to.

Play around with the portable version for a while, going to a lot of your normal sites like Youtube and stuff, and I would even install ad-blocker. See if you are still having freezing problems. If not, I would do 1 of 2 things. Follow the instructions in the link above for diagnostics on how to reinstall Firefox. That is quick and easy and you can keep all your add-ons and bookmarks and stuff. If that doesn't stop the freezing, you are going to want to go in and disable all your add-ons (either by clicking on each one, or by starting Firefox in Safemode), and then turn on only 1-2 of them, play with Firefox for an hour or so, and then turn on 1-2 more.

I know when I upgraded to FF6, as soon as I restarted after installing I crashed. And crashed. And crashed. It took about 30 mins. of work in safemode to figure out what add-on was being a bitch and had to go. Sucks that the thing we love and use firefox for the most, the add-ons, is also the thing that causes the most problems.

Also, you could search here:
                http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/search

I searched for firefox hangs and a lot of good threads are going. Might find someone with your exact problem.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Since I switched to the latest version of FF ( version 6 i think ) ive been getting freezes like crazy when youtube is open. After quickly browsing Bamboos post i think it may be adblock because thats is my only addon. I can try turning it off and see if that helps.
                  sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

I have recently noticed issues with my FF as well. But after reading this thread and issues I have had with BF3 not wanting to start on the first attempt to join a server; I am starting to think I may have RAM issues as well. Stupid Dell motherboard. (I bought new RAM and Dell motherboard only recognizes half the memory, while other boards recognize all of it. So not really a memory issue, so much as a mainboard issue.)

|TG-IRR|

Comment

The last few updates for firefox have really been bad. I swear each time the browser gets slower and slower and crashes more and more, and I don't even overload it with the scripts. - I use noscript and adblocker
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                      Level I HazMat Technician
                      NYS EMT-B
                      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Looks like Firefox8 is going to be released on Monday.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X