Question on video cards.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on video cards.

I was wondering what would be the best route to go for a video card upgrade. I currently have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102908

Would it be worth crossfireing 2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150531 or go with a single 6990.

Or is Nvidia SLI GTX 560 Ti's a way to go or with a single GTX 580,?

I have almost always been nvidia so the ati/amd radeon is a whole new world to me. Hence the purchase of a board and PSU that supports and is certified for both SLI/Crossfire.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, brands?

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131736
    PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371049

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Scalability in the 6000 series is better than ever before. Just a suggestion but crossfiring 2x6850's would be pretty beastly. Especially if your pcie slots are dual x16

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Re: Question on video cards.

Yeah that would be my first choice as well if you are already considering dual cards.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

+1 for crossfire on the 6850s.
        -Glycerin256 <-- add me in Battlelog, Steam, Origin. Sig rig MIGHT BE FOR SALE: i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz; AsRock Z68 Extreme4; 16GB DDR3 1866; Asus GTX 970; 500GB 840 EVO SSD; Xonar DX 7.1; Win7x64, 25.5" T260HD, etc

Comment

My 6850 is being RMA'd tomorrow. Sapphire has let me down horridly. Worked great for the first 3 weeks. But now.... It freezes up constantly in BC2 within 20-45mins of play.

Checked drivers. rolled back drivers, updated new drivers, modded the case added fans, fine tuned air flow, stock settings OCd settings. Hell I even took the card apart, removed the plastic cover from the heat sink, removed the heat sink, removed the thermal compound, replaced compound with artic silver. reassembled without the plastic shroud and pointed 2 70mm fans at it to triple the air flow over the entire card and out the back. no go.

Hell my Mobo is sitting at 19*c running P95, surfing the web and watching a few shows. My CPU doesn't go above 43*C core temp, my VRM hits 47*c. But in BC2 it hits 58*C and up ^ then crashes. Screen freezes and I get an annoying audible buzzing sound which goes away and the screen is just froze. Have to reboot the PC.

The 1 thing I haven't done yet. am going to do now is uninstall the GPU drivers, and re-install with the disc I got with the card. It worked then, maybe bad driver support?

sigpic

Comment

Also my board supports SLI, and Xfire, both with x16-x16 as well as my PSU supports both so. I dunno. maybe sli GTX560 Ti's? xfire 6850's from a different manufacturer?

sigpic

Comment

Sapphire is a good name. Sounds like you just got a lemon. Are they not replacing it??? An option is to buy another 6850 so you can atleast be running at launch and then crossfire when yours comes back.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Two 6850's in crossfire would probably give you the best bang for the buck. According to Benchmarks on Anandtech, it's definitely faster than a single 6970.

Also, overclocking your GPU is not a good idea. Graphics cards are already pushed to the limits thermally as they typically run at 85C to 95C at load. Pushing them past stock settings will usually lead to a drastically shorter lifespan.
                "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Money

How large is the budget?

Sarcoma
                  Sarcoma.

Comment

The card is not OC'd and the temps have not gotten above 61*C. Just freezes. Dual 6850's dosen't sound bad by benchmark settings, but this card has had many issues with poor support from sapphire. I bought this card as a budget card.

I have considered sticking with the 6850's but..... different brand. XFX, gigabyte?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150521 x2

Budget is $500 give or take.

sigpic

Comment

Dual 6950 1gb's :D

Comment

What brand would u recommend. Seeing how I have only ever owned gigabyte cards and 1 evga card, all nvidia.

sigpic

Comment

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...917&CatId=7005 how about 2 of these?

sigpic

Comment

My last 2 Ati cards were xfx and I loved em both. Anyone else with ati wanna chime in here?

Comment

Xfx

I've had a few. A few.problems as well but customer service is very good and kept me happy. I will continue to buy XFX
                              Sarcoma.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X