Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram Upgrade for ASUS Rampage III Extreme, i7 930

Best Ram Choice?

I am on an upgrade path for a new GPU, a SSD and more ram.

I shall start will more ram, targeting 16G with budget of $300.

Chatter in OC forums suggests that 1600Mhz will be fine.

At present I have 6G PC3-16000 2000MHz (Patriot) which did fine over the past year with BC2 running at a solid 60FPS, high 40FPS with Fraps recording (all graphics on high).

Given that I am planing on a $800 GPU upgrade (from my ATI 5870) in the HD 6990 range of performance, will the ram (below) be a decent buy? What would you recommend?

Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit - 16GB (4x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latency, Intel XMP Ready, Unbuffered

Thank you for you time!
    sigpic

Re: Ram Upgrade for ASUS Rampage III Extreme, i7 930

I have that ram in my rig at the moment. Well the black colored ones. Same ram. Very snappy, nice heat sinks, runs cool.
    So time for a quick run down from overclock.net.

this ram is 1333Mhz BUT Corsair has preloaded blah blah blah 1600 Mhz XMP profile inot the ram. They basically OC to 1600Mhz. If it dosen't read at 1600Mhz on install simply go into your bios and up the timings to the XMP profile, and bingo you have 1600Mhz.

As for OCing the ram itself, if your interested in that stuff, past 1600Mhz there isn't a whole lot of head room. Most that I have seen people get to run stable with a voltage adjustment and timing tweeks get them to run about 1705Mhz~ any higher they become unstable.

I have 16G installed as well and I am extremely happy. Your windows score with range from 7.7 - 7.9. As with all hardware, mileage varies.

Also have you looked at the Corsair dominator series or Gskill ripjaws or sniper series ram? I have heard good things about them as well.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

Thank you Belander for the reply.

Am researching the options this afternoon -- plan to buy next week -- I want to see how my current system performs with BF3 so I have a benchmark before upgrading.

Yes, but hard to find 16G of Dominator ram in Canada.

I am also looking at the 12G Dominator series: this one at 2000MHz:

Corsair XMS3 Dominator GT 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 2000MHz CL9 DIMMs w/DHX+ and Airflow II Fan, Optimized for Core i7 (CMT12GX3M3A2000C9)

Pricey but in budget at $249.

And so the whole thing degrades into the usual bewildering variety of choices and technical minutiae.

12G or 16G
      1600 or 2000 MHz

High end Corsair or less expensive brands?

Sigh.
      sigpic

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231461

I just bought this set for their low voltage. Defaults to [email protected], if you use the XMP profile they can achieve 1.25V.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

E-male I found the first set you were talking about at Newegg. The US and Canada bound ones are priced differently.

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz - Newegg.com - $100 w/ free shipping

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz - Newegg.ca - $103.50 w/ $10.00 shipping

You should also check out:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 MHz - Newegg.ca - $154.50 w/ $10.00 shipping
          sigpic

Comment

**Duplicate Post**
            Last edited by DeF; 10-23-2011, 03:10 PM. Reason: Post got duplicated by forums.
            sigpic

Comment

Hi E-Male,

Your topic question is "Ram Upgrade for ASUS Rampage III Extreme, i7 930". As you know, your motherboard's RAM (DIMM) slots are for Triple Channel RAM (also refered to as Tri-channel). The RAM links you and others here posted are for Dual Channel RAM. If you indeed wish to add memory to your current motherboard, then you must look for Tri-Channel RAM. These are examples of your choices.

Your motherboard's maximum RAM capacity is 24GB. So, as you have 6GB, upgrade configurations would be 12GB or 24GB. Also, at the DDR3 level, the speed of the RAM will not effect your FPS. See this review (scroll down to BC2 FPS data), which uses tri-channel RAM and the same GPU you have for the benchmarks. Also note the review's conclusion.

Questions:

Is your current 6GB RAM 3x2GB or 6x1GB?
              -If you you have 3x2GB, then you could simply add another 3x2GB kit which brings you up to 12GB.

Are thinking of changing to another CPU + motherboard that is not in the Core i7-9xx series?
              If so, check what RAM is acceptable (AMD AM3 and Intel 1155 CPU's use Dual Channel). The Dual Chanel kits mentioned above are all decent.

Your thought on waiting to see how your system runs BF3 is what I would recommend. The game will task your GPU the most, so the FPS you get will guage your GPU's performance. If the Beta was any indication, BF3 will not bottleneck your CPU with your current GPU. I have the higher end GTX 580 and my similar CPU (Core i7-920 @3.8GHz) never went above 50% usage during the Aplha or Beta. BC2 uses even less.

Also consider how many applications you're running at the same time for RAM usage. I believe you monitored that in the past. Additional RAM generally helps image hungry apps like Adobe image and video editing programs.

To save time, we can talk more in detail on TS.

-Zip
              Last edited by Zippy; 10-23-2011, 09:51 PM.

:icon_frow
              |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks Zip,

My current ram is Patriot Sector 7 6G (3x2G) pc3-1600 2000MHz

At present it runs at 7/7/7/20 (but CPU-Z reports a DRAM Frequency of only 533.7 MHz -- why is this not 2000MHz -- a on demand thing?), but when I OC the core it runs at 9/9/9/24.

I read the Corsair Vengeance 12GB DDR3 Memory Kit review (thanks!) and could buy that kit for $100 or buy 6 Gig more of my present Patriot ram for $80.

I do some mid-range video work (rendering) so I might benfit from 16 to 24G. In which case I could just get another 12G of the Corsair V ram for a mere $100 down the road.

I do not know what makes more sense, buying 12G of Corsair Vengence with lower speed (1600) ram for $100 or doubling my existing Patriot RAM with its 2000MHz. What would you do?

I just bought the ASUS Rampage III Extreme MoB and i7 930 core a year ago, so I see no compelling reason to upgrade these.

I am assuming that the MoB and i7 930 core will suffice to get me 60FPS in BC3 with the correct GPU (my goodness I never thought I would right a sentence like that . . . ).

When gaming I shut all unneeded processes down, and am otherwise not a high-end multitasker.

So what I am trying to achieve here is a solid 50-60FPS in BF3 (I'll have some benchmarks from BF3 by tomorrow) and at least 50FPS with FRAPS running.

I have always wondered if I would get a better Fraps-recording framerate in-game if I was running the game on a SSD and recording Fraps to another SSD -- is the HD a bottleneck (mine are 7200 rpm WD blacks, I think)?

On another note,

I can OC my core to 4.2 G, but the temp shoots to 80C in-game, higher with Fraps on. I could probably bring the core temp down with better water cooling than my current Corsair H50.

Tomorrow I'll see what BF3 framerates are with Fraps running (gaming is nothing to me if I cannot record while gaming...). I saw pretty low numbers on Caspian border (mid 20s) when recording.

I'll also try a lower OC, around 3.6 and 3.8, and see if I can get Fraps framerates up and core temps down.

Also, common wisdom is that I will get better preformance with a SSD, but will this translate into better framerates?

Thank you for you time!
                sigpic

Comment

Zippy is right, you want to look at the triple channel memory kits for your X58 platform. Zippy is also right about memory speeds. As long as your DDR3 memory is running at 1333 MHz or faster, you have eliminated your memory speed as a potential bottleneck. Overclocking DDR3 memory past 1600 MHz is a foolish endeavor because it nets you no real-world performance gains while introducing instability.

Your three options:

1. Buy the same Patriot 3x2GB kit and add it to your current memory for 6x2GB - 12GB total system memory.

2. Buy a 3x4GB kit for 12GB total.

3. Buy a 6x4GB kit for 24GB total.

I think option 2 is your best choice. Buy a 12GB (3 x 4GB set) of 1600 MHz DDR3 memory so you get 12GB now and also have the ability to upgrade to 24GB down the road if you wish. Option 1 is not a bad choice either, the only caveat is that most memory controllers will have a harder time running memory at breakneck speeds like 2000MHz in 6 dimm configurations. Option 3 is overkill.

Also, I think you should know that your framerate in BF3 will likely be the same whether you're running 6GB of memory or 12GB. That's just my educated guess.

Too Long;Didn't Read -- Look for a 12GB (3 dimms x 4GB set) of DDR3-1600 MHz memory with 9-9-9-24 timings
                  "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

double post
                    Last edited by VoodooIT; 10-24-2011, 12:13 PM. Reason: double post

Comment

Thanks Voodoo.

I am seduced by the following:

Corsair CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 Dominator GT Triple Channel 12288MB PC16000 DDR3 Memory - 2000MHz, 3x4096MB, 9-10-9-27

Pricey at $270 but it combines Corsair, Dominator, 12G, but perhaps overkill at 2000MHz.

But this less expensive option had 12G, Dominator class, and 1600MHz

Corsair CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 Dominator 12GB PC12800 Triple Channel RAM - 1600MHz, 3x4096MB, 9-9-9-24, Unbuffered, Non-ECC

At $185 dollars it meaves more in my budget for the SSDs and GPU. I recall reading somewhere that I'll not see any significant difference in GPU performance between a 1600 and 2000MHz ram.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Voodoo.

I am seduced by the following:

Corsair CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 Dominator GT Triple Channel 12288MB PC16000 DDR3 Memory - 2000MHz, 3x4096MB, 9-10-9-27

Pricey at $270 but it combines Corsair, Dominator, 12G, but perhaps overkill at 2000MHz.

Corsair CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 Dominator 12GB PC12800 Triple Channel RAM - 1600MHz, 3x4096MB, 9-9-9-24, Unbuffered, Non-ECC

At $160 dollars it leaves more in my budget for the SSDs and GPU. I recall reading somewhere that I'll not see any significant difference in GPU performance between a 1600 and 2000MHz ram.
                        sigpic

Comment

RE: overclocking.

I dropped the CPU ratio setting down to 18 from 20 and that dropped the speed from 4.2GHz to 3.6 -- faster than the factory setting of around 2.8 (i think) for the i7 930.

This resulted in temps dropping from 70-80C to 52 idle, 60C in game, and a stable 60 FPS in BC2 with FRAPS recording and all graphics on ultra high.

I cannot wait to see how this overclock setting runs in BF3 tomorrow. Maybe, just maybe I will not need a new GPU (current one is a AMD Radeon HD 5870 circa 2009 build).

But I really want to make videos in BF3 at its best quality.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post

At $185 dollars it meaves more in my budget for the SSDs and GPU. I recall reading somewhere that I'll not see any significant difference in GPU performance between a 1600 and 2000MHz ram.
                            http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57080&...acture=Corsair

I didn't do much digging on Canadian sites but that is probably your best bet. Under $100, 12GB Corsair, 3x4GB arrangement, 1600MHz.

I understand the appeal of paying for quality and going overkill on upgrades, but I promise you that Corsair GT kit is not worth the money. Someone could swap out your memory kit in the dead of the night and you would never notice the difference. And I don't just mean that it may or may not feel slower but you can't tell, I mean both memory kits will get identical framerates in games.

If you want to overspend on something that will actually make a measurable difference, put the money you save on this memory kit towards a fast SSD.

Comment

Thanks again Voodoo.

I'll hunt around for a low priced Corsair kit and put more $$$ into the SSD.

BTW, getting decent fps in BF3 today, over 50, but some curious flicking at times (when mounted guns fire, for example) that I would like to see cleaned up. More on this later in another thread.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X