Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardware Summary Program -- should we make it a sticky?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Summary Program -- should we make it a sticky?

I know I haven't been posting much here lately, but with the return of BF3 and my need to upgrade soon, I hope to get in here more.
    I see that there are a ton of threads as always with people needing some TG help upgrading their current rig, and a lot of the time there is a basic post and then a lot of responses from other regulars asking for more details. Occasionally the original poster isn't even sure what he current has.

With that in mind, I have been playing with some programs that give you a good rundown of all your system parts. Some of them don't even require you to install the program.

So the question is, do we want to make a sticky about how to ask the TG forum for help? Like what steps to do real quick before you post so we can have a good idea of what you currently have.

For instance, please check this program out:

http://www.hwinfo.com/index.html

There is a 32 and 64 version. Click the download tab at the top and then click download under "Portable ZIP v3.88-1400 (2.7 MB)"
    When the ZIP is on your desktop, you should drop it into an empty folder, then unzip. (Do it in an empty folder because there are 8 parts inside.)
    Then just click on HWiNFO64.

First up you get

As well as this:

Under the Sensors tab you get:

So even people that are just having problems and need help could provide us with details. The program lets you log the data for when your in game, or just while running benchmarks, and you can turn it into a Sidebar Gadget, monitor in tray, on your keyboard LED, and set up alerts.

Now, I'm not pushing this one program, it is one of many out there. I am kind of pushing the idea of getting people that want help to use a program like this before they ask.

What do you guys think? Anyone for or against. Any better ideas? I do want to give the stickys in this forum a makeover soon since I have a feeling we are about to get an influx of new blood with all the good games releasing this season.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Hardware Summary Program -- should we make it a sticky?

I was thinking we needed something like this.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Yeah I think that could be useful!

Comment

I think every thread asking for upgrade advice or hardware troubleshooting help should include the information contained in the first screenshot of HWINFO. The only thing I can think of that is missing from the first screenshot is maybe Power Supply wattage.
        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

For easy and non-complex information

Check out http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Even has a portable build for USB.

Best thing its FREE

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed