New mobo/CPU/graphics card or XBOX?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New mobo/CPU/graphics card or XBOX?

I am running an E8400 dual core with a HD 5770 card. BF3 runs somewhat slow, I think it is CPU-bound.

So I could upgrade to a new PC - mobo (GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 $120), CPU (i5-2300 $180), memory and graphics card (and HD6870 looks good $115) ~= $530; keeping case and hard drives.

Or I could get a XBOX 360 with BF3 $200 + $60 = $260

Half price and no build hassles. I would miss the mouse and keyboard controller - or can I still use those? And no teamspeak...

What do you think?

Re: New mobo/CPU/graphics card or XBOX?

Personally I wouldn't even think twice about it. PC all the way. Keep in mind that the 360 is getting kind of dated and M$ will probably be releasing a new system in the next couple of years. Of course I'm rather biased towards PC's, I have a PS3 but it is basically used as a blu-ray player and media server for the tv. Consoles definitely have there place but for games like BF3 I don't think that anything could replace the PC.

Edit: I built a new system for this game, did similar as what you are talking about doing. Reused as much old hardware as possible. Spent about the same as what you are talking about and am able to play on medium settings with high textures at 55fps.
    sigpic

Comment

I would recommend getting the motherboard, cpu and memory upgrade and trying that out with your current graphics card.
      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Thanks guys! I got an i5-2500k with 8G of Ram, a 120GB SSD and a Gigabyte mobo.

BF3 works great now.

Comment

Uh, I was going to say that Tom's Hardware had a article on BF3 and hardware. There's almost no performance boost going from a dual-core to a quad-core.

See here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...e,3063-13.html

The game is mostly bound by your GPU. So if you have a better card, it performs better. Whatever, moot point now since you upgraded.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            Uh, I was going to say that Tom's Hardware had a article on BF3 and hardware. There's almost no performance boost going from a dual-core to a quad-core.
            I guess the E8400 was quite a bit slower than the i5-2500. The difference is very noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by marstein View Post
              I guess the E8400 was quite a bit slower than the i5-2500. The difference is very noticeable.
              You had a HD5770 which doesn't put up the same performance as a HD6870. That may be quite a bit of your difference there. I do have a E8400 on my LAN and have played BF3 beta on it. Though it only has a 9600GT, I was able to run everything quite smoothly on medium.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X