Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Core 2 Quad Temperatures - What is too hot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core 2 Quad Temperatures - What is too hot?

My Core 2 Quad 9550 seems to be averaging a high temp in the high 40s and low 50s at full load. Does anyone know if this is dangerous/bad/average? I've found the the official temperatures listed on the Intel website but I can't find normal people talking about "normal" temperature ranges for the Core 2 Quads.

The idle temps range from 30-42 across the 4 cores. Full load ranges from 44 to 52.

Does anyone have experience or advice on this? I'm currently using a nice zalman heatsink, but this is the 3rd processor it has been used on in the last 4 years so it might need to be replaced . . .

Thank you for any advice or guidance!

Nah man high 40s/50s aint bad at all. My Q9550 runs about that temp and has since the day I got it. As far as I know its perfectly fine. You want to start worrying when you get up around 70/80 celcius
    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Re: Core 2 Quad Temperatures - What is too hot?

Q9xxx's TJMax (Thermal Junction Maximum) is 105 degrees Celsius. Overtemp is considered anything beyond 71 degrees Celsius. As long as your under that you should be fine as that is the soft maximum. Just remember that heat is a killer but voltage can be an assassin.
      sigpic

Comment

Make sure that's your actually cpu core temp, not just your cpu temp. there is a difference :)
        If that's your cpu temp, then your actual cpu core temp will generally be lower and the cpu core temp is the one u want to keep an eye on if your worried about temps.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

Thanks everybody! I'll quit worrying about it unless I hit 60 degrees. Still trying to milk some more use out of my LGA775 board!

Comment

44C-52C at full load is very good for a Core 2 Quad, you have nothing to worry about. I wouldn't be concerned unless it was over 75C.
            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by DeF View Post
              Q9xxx's TJMax (Thermal Junction Maximum) is 105 degrees Celsius. Overtemp is considered anything beyond 71 degrees Celsius. As long as your under that you should be fine as that is the soft maximum. Just remember that heat is a killer but voltage can be an assassin.
              As far as I know, CoreTemp's 105 C TJMax may not be correct. It could well be 100 C (as seen in RealTemp). As for the 71.4 C TCase temperature, that is not core temperature. TCase is the ambient heat spreader (at the center) temperature. Core temps reported by various software (CoreTemp, RealTemp, Speedfan, etc) are not accurate. In fact, they are less accurate the further they are away from TJMax and more accurate as they approach TJMax. So use the numbers reported as estimates rather than hard numbers. If you're overclocking, the generally accepted rule of thumb is to keep your individual core temps 15 C to 20 C below TJMax.

If anyone is interested, you can guesstimate the TCase temp by taking the mean of all the core temperatures and subtracting 5 C. Not accurate, but should give you a general idea if your processor might be beyond Intel's given TCase temp. Throttling also does not happen when you pass TCase, it happens when your processor hits TJMax or exceeds it. It's to help prevent immediate burn out of your chip and hopefully cool down the chip enough. In most motherboards nowadays, your system will either shut down or reboot constantly once your CPU hits 100 C whether or not your chip's TJMax is higher. If you notice your CPU throttling, best to power it off immediately (or as soon as you save any important files).

As others above have said, 40s to 50s C is a very good temperature. I too have a Q9550 (overclocked to 3.6 GHz) with a Corsair A70 air cooler and I average low 40s on idle and mid to upper 60s on full load.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Took me a while to find it in my list of lists, but here's a thread on TJMax: http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...x-stand-2.html Saves me from retyping a whole thread. :p
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X